Another Surface Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a surface integral involving a function G(x,y,z) and z = √(1-x^2-y^2). The person trying to solve the integral has attempted different methods, including conversion to polar coordinates, but has not been successful. Another person suggests using the concept of gradients and normalization to simplify the integral, but the first person does not understand these concepts yet. They mention using a specific integral formula for solving similar problems.
Saketh
Okay - I thought that I figured this stuff out, but I didn't.
The Problem
When [tex]G(x, y, z) = (1-x^2-y^2)^{3/2}[/tex], and [tex]z = \sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}[/tex], evaluate the surface integral.
My Work
I keep trying this but I end up with the following integral that I cannot evaluate:

[tex]
\int_{-1}^{1} \!\!\! \int_{-\sqrt{1-y^2}}^{\sqrt{1-y^2}} (1-x^2-y^2)^{3/2}\sqrt{1+4x^2+4y^2} \,dx \,dy
[/tex].

Conversion to polar coordinates doesn't help much, either. How can I find this surface integral? (Ans: [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex])

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Saketh said:
Okay - I thought that I figured this stuff out, but I didn't.
The Problem
When [tex]G(x, y, z) = (1-x^2-y^2)^{3/2}[/tex], and [tex]z = \sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}[/tex], evaluate the surface integral.
My Work
I keep trying this but I end up with the following integral that I cannot evaluate:

[tex]
\int_{-1}^{1} \!\!\! \int_{-\sqrt{1-y^2}}^{\sqrt{1-y^2}} (1-x^2-y^2)^{3/2}\sqrt{1+4x^2+4y^2} \,dx \,dy
[/tex].

Conversion to polar coordinates doesn't help much, either. How can I find this surface integral? (Ans: [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex])

Thanks!
How did you get that differential? [itex]z= \sqrt{1- x^2- y^2}[/itex] is the upper half of the sphere [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex].

Here's one way to treat it: think of the sphere as a 'level surface' of the function [itex]f(x,y,z)= x^2+ y^2+ z^2[/itex]. Then [itex]\nabla f= 2xi+ 2yj+ 2zk[/itex]. "Normalize that to the xy-plane by dividing through by the coefficient of k: [itex]\frac{x}{z}i+ \frac{y}{z}j+ 1[/itex] and take the length to get
[tex]dS= \sqrt{\frac{x^2}{z^2}+ \frac{y^2}{z^2}+ 1}dxdy[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}}{z}dxdy= \frac{1}{z}dxdy[/tex]
Since [itex]z= \sqrt{1- x^2- y^2}[/itex], your integral becomes
[tex]\int_{x= -1}^1\int_{y= -\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\frac{(1-x^2-y^2)^{3/2}}{(1-x^2-y^2)^\frac{1}{2}}dydx= \int_{x= -1}^1\int_{y= -\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}}(1- x^2- y^2) dydx[/tex]

Another way: using spherical coordinates, with [itex]\rho= 1[/itex] gives parametric equations for the hemispher:
[itex]x= cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= cos(\phi)[/itex], with [itex]0\le \theta \le 2\pi[/itex], [itex]0 \le \phi \le \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].
You can write the "position vector" of a point on the hemisphere as
[tex] \vec{r}= cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex]
Then the partial derivatives are
[tex]\vec{r}_\theta = -sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}_\phi = cos(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{j}- sin(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]
The "fundamental vector product" is the cross product of those:
[tex]-cos(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{i}- sin(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{j}- sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]
and its length gives the differential of surface area in those parameters:
[tex]dS= sin^2(\phi)d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Of course, [itex]1- x^2- y^2= 1- cos^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)- sin^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)= 1- sin^2(\phi)= cos^2(\phi)[/itex] so [itex](1-x^2-y^2)^\frac{3}{2}= cos^3(\phi)[/itex]

In terms of those parameters your integral is
[tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{\phi= 0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}cos^3(\phi)sin^2(\phi) d\phi d\theta[/tex]

I do not understand the "level surface," normalization, and "dividing through by the coefficient of k." Although mathematically I understand what you are doing, the concepts behind it confuse me.
My textbook has not introduced gradients. It introduces divergence first, so technically I am not supposed to understand your gradient and normalization technique yet.

I use the following integral to solve these types of problems:
[tex]
\int \!\!\! \int_R G(x, y, z) \sqrt{1 + \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \right ) ^2 + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \right ) ^2} \,dA
[/tex]
where [itex]R[/itex] is the projected surface (usually on the xy-plane), [itex]f[/itex] is one of the coordinates as a function of the other two (usually [tex]z = f(x, y)[/tex]), and [itex]dA[/itex] is the differential area element on the project (usually [tex]\,dx \,dy[/tex]). This integral is based on the idea that
[tex]
\hat{\textbf{n}} = \frac{-i\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} - j\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} + k}{\sqrt{1 + \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \right ) ^2 + \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \right )^2}}
[/tex]

EDIT: Never mind. Though I still don't understand your procedure, I really messed up in taking the partial derivatives of z. Therein was the problem.

Last edited:

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used in multivariable calculus to calculate the flux, or flow, of a vector field across a given surface. It involves breaking the surface into small, infinitesimal pieces and summing up the contributions from each piece.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves finding the area under a curve on a 2-dimensional plane. A surface integral, on the other hand, involves finding the flux through a 3-dimensional surface. It is essentially a higher-dimensional version of a regular integral.

3. What are some applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many practical applications in physics and engineering. They can be used to calculate the flow of fluids, electric and magnetic flux, and surface area of curved objects. They are also essential in understanding concepts such as work, energy, and surface tension.

4. Can you explain the different types of surface integrals?

There are two types of surface integrals: the single integral and the double integral. The single integral is used for calculating the flux through a surface with a 2-dimensional boundary, while the double integral is used for surfaces with a 3-dimensional boundary. The double integral is more commonly used and is also known as a surface integral of the first kind.

5. How can I solve a surface integral?

Solving a surface integral involves breaking down the surface into smaller pieces, determining the direction of the normal vector for each piece, and then evaluating the integral using the appropriate formula. It is important to have a good understanding of vector calculus and the properties of surfaces to successfully solve a surface integral.