What is a "structure-less particle"?

• Thread starter PhillipKP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "structureless particle" and its characteristics. Some opinions suggest that it is a particle without internal quantum numbers or spin, while others mention specific particles such as electrons and quarks that could fit this category. The conversation also touches on the idea of fundamental particles and their mass. Overall, there is some disagreement on the definition of a structureless particle and more context is needed to fully understand the concept.
PhillipKP
I have a stupid question:

I saw the term "structureless Particle".

What is a "structureless particle"? Please explain to me like I am a 4th grader.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on the context of course, but I would guess it means a particle that is not made up of more particles. Fundamentally, a proton is not a structureless particle because it is made up of 3 quarks. However, a quark would fit in this category and so would an electron, because as far as we know, they are not made up of anything else.

Structureless particle? Maybe it has not internal quantum numbers? I.e. no spin.

BenTheMan said:
Structureless particle? Maybe it has not internal quantum numbers? I.e. no spin.
Both electrons and quarks [as far as we know] are elementary particles (have no internal structure), both are also fermions and hence have half integer spin (i.e [itex]\pm1/2, \pm3/2, \pm5/2,...[/itex]). However, I do agree with quasar987's interpretation. If you google 'elementary particle' you should find some more information.

Last edited:
According my opinion, structureless particles haven't its mass, size and aren't made up of more particles. For example, photon, neutrino are the structureless particles. However, they are still influenced by interactions (fundamental force as weak,electromagnetic, gravitational, strong ..).

daica said:
According my opinion, structureless particles haven't its mass, size and aren't made up of more particles. For example, photon, neutrino are the structureless particles. However, they are still influenced by interactions (fundamental force as weak,electromagnetic, gravitational, strong ..).
According to current theory and experimental evidence, neutrinos have a small but finite mass. Out of curiosity why do you require that a structureless particle must be massless?

Both electrons and quarks [as far as we know] are elementary particles (have no internal structure), both are also fermions and hence have half integer spin

I know quite a bit about electrons and quarks:) I guess "structureless" is pretty ambiguous. I took structureless to mean without any internal quantum numbers, and spin is internal in the sense that it is intrinsic. I've never seen an electron called a "structureless" particle, only "fundamental" particle. It would be nice to see some context, I guess.

And 5/2 isn't an allowed spin for fundamental particles:)

BenTheMan said:
Do you think that is an answer a 4-th grader would understand?

Pete

In my country, one call pmb_phy 's post above is a spam. And you are spamer. It isn't contructive.

What is a "structure-less particle"?

A structure-less particle, also known as a point particle, is a theoretical particle that is thought to have no internal structure. This means that it has no physical size or shape, and all of its properties are concentrated at a single point.

How is a structure-less particle different from other particles?

Unlike most particles, which have a size and shape and are made up of smaller components, a structure-less particle is considered to be an elementary particle that cannot be broken down into smaller parts. It is also thought to have no internal energy or substructure.

Are structure-less particles proven to exist?

The existence of structure-less particles is still a topic of debate in the scientific community. While some theories, such as string theory, suggest the existence of point particles, they have not yet been observed or detected experimentally.

What are the properties of a structure-less particle?

Because they are theoretical particles, the properties of structure-less particles are still largely unknown. However, they are thought to have mass, electric charge, and spin, and are predicted to interact with other particles through fundamental forces such as gravity and electromagnetism.

How are structure-less particles studied?

Since they have not yet been observed, scientists study structure-less particles through theoretical models and experiments that aim to detect their existence indirectly. These experiments involve high-energy collisions and advanced detectors to search for any evidence of point particles.