Review of Dark Matter and Dark Energy by M. Kamionkowski

In summary, the review discusses the content of Dark Matter and Dark Energy, including the CMB and Inflation. The section on CMB polarization and gravity waves was particularly good.
EL
Science Advisor
A nice review of Dark Matter and Dark Energy, including discussions of the CMB and Inflation, arrived today at the arXiv:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.2986

I think some people here would find it quite interesting.

Space news on Phys.org
A nice review. The section on CMB polarization and gravity waves was particularly good. I think I understand that now much better than I did before!

nice, thanks for posting

Good catch, EL. That is what I call good science and good reporting. I like a guy who does not mind pointing out the difference between limbs and twigs.

that's exactly the kind of overview I've been trying to find for a long time, thanks very much EL.

some folks might be interested to know the context of Kamionkowski's talk.
the paper is essentially a talk he gave in October 2005
at this
http://www.metanexus.net/fqx/townes/ [Broken]
this was a rich extravaganza for the well-to-do educated lay public, featuring
EIGHTEEN NOBEL LAUREATES
and funded by the TEMPLETON FOUNDATION

It took place at UC Berkeley Pauley Ballroom and Zellerbach Hall, both just a few blocks from where I live.
Openers was at the Ballroom. But days 2 and 3 were at Zellerbach.
Zellerbach is where we usually have symphony orchestra concerts and performances of the ballet, and where Stephen Hawking speaks when he is on tour. It is kind of a modern style opera house. Plus there was a Banquet and if you paid extra you got to sit at a table with a Nobel Laureate.

The Templeton Foundation has organized some pretty remarkable Symposia and this was not the least of them.

Get a load of the Day Three program!
=========
Day 3: "The 'Big Picture'--Exploring Questions on the Boundaries of Science" (Zellerbach Auditorium)

* How can progress be made in the quest for "ultimate explanations" in cosmology? Is the universe a purposive order? What are the logical dynamics of the "3-M circle" of ultimate explanation--Mind-Math-Matter?
* What is consciousness? Do we have free will? Is the concept of "causal closure" a real constraint from physics that is also applicable to the nature of the mind?
* Is there life "out there"? Is life in any sense written into the laws of nature?
* How can ethical culture and institutions be strengthened to respond to the accelerating growth of technological power? What should scientists do to address the ethical challenges raised by the astonishing success of their enterprise? Are new habits, new covenants, new institutions, and new cultures needed for the future of science and for the appropriate stewardship of its accelerating powers?

MORNING:

* Special plenary lecture:
Freeman Dyson: "The Future of Science"
* Vaclav Smil: "Ethics in Science and 'The Power Paradox'"
* Special Interdisciplinary Panel Discussion on Free Will and Consciousness
Physics: George Ellis (chair), Hans Halvorson, Anton Zeilinger
Philosophy: John Searle (chair), Robert Bishop, Nancy Cartwright (invited), Nancey Murphy
Neuroscience: William Newsome (chair), Gerald Edelman, Christof Koch

AFTERNOON:

* Beyond Physics
Michio Kaku: "The Future Vision: Artificial Intelligence and Extraterrestrial Life"
Paul Davies: "Biocentricity and the Anthropic Principle"
Robert John Russell: "Science and Religion"
* 3-M Debate (Matter, Mind, Mathematics)--The Nature of Ultimate Reality
Chair: George Ellis
Panelists: Gerald Gabrielse, Eleanore Stump (invited), Leonard Susskind, Max Tegmark

EVENING:

* 7:00-11:00 PM Celebratory banquet honoring Professor and Mrs. Townes in the historic Rotunda Building in Oakland
=================

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the main focus of "Review of Dark Matter and Dark Energy by M. Kamionkowski"?

The main focus of this review is to provide a comprehensive overview of the current understanding and research on dark matter and dark energy. It discusses their role in the universe and the various theories and experiments that aim to better understand these elusive components.

2. Why is dark matter and dark energy important in the study of the universe?

Dark matter and dark energy make up the majority of the universe, accounting for about 95% of its total mass and energy. Without understanding these components, a complete understanding of the universe and its evolution is not possible. They also have significant implications for cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics.

3. How does dark matter differ from normal matter?

Dark matter differs from normal matter in that it does not interact with light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It also does not interact with itself or with normal matter except through gravity. This makes it difficult to detect and study, and its exact nature is still unknown.

4. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark matter and dark energy?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of either dark matter or dark energy. However, their effects on the rotation of galaxies, the structure of the universe, and the expansion of the universe have been observed and can only be explained by the presence of these components.

5. What are some current theories and experiments for studying dark matter and dark energy?

Some current theories for dark matter include Weakly Interacting Massive Particles (WIMPs), Axions, and MACHOs (Massive Compact Halo Objects). Experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the Cryogenic Dark Matter Search (CDMS), and the Dark Energy Survey (DES) are all working towards detecting and studying dark matter and dark energy. Other methods include using gravitational lensing and studying the cosmic microwave background.