Getting a large change from small change

• Thread starter edmondng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, you are looking for a way to measure a change in voltage. You are using a capacitive load to measure the voltage change. You are also using a reference capacitor to compare with the variable capacitor.
edmondng
Need some help or suggestion here.
I'm trying to collect some data resulting from very small changes. What i want is for example a change from 40pF to 40.5pF to result in a bigger voltage change say 0.5V to 0.8V, enough for me to see some difference. In other words, a very big SNR.

The way i have my setup now is using a cap reference and comparing it with the variable, and going through a differential amplifier.

I was thinking in the sense of circuit manipulation where for example if you have 2 caps in series, where 1 is very very large like 1000pF and the variable cap is only 40pF, Then the resulting capacitance from 40pF to 40.5pF will result in only a very small change.

Same is true for resistance in parallel. Put a 52 Ohm in parallel with 1100 Ohm, but now change the 52 to 53 ohm and the resulting signal is still small. So is there some way for me to manipulate such that i can get a bigger signal change with my small input change.

Ideas, suggestion would be great. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the reasoning for changing the hardware?

Maybe you can use some sort of a bridge setup to get a bigger response to changes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatstone_bridge

I think you can do something similar to the Wheatstone resistive bridge, but use capacitors and AC excitation instead, but to be honest, I never really understood how bridges worked anyway, so I don't think I'll be much more help beyond pointing you at the subject matter. Good luck!

Hey, great minds think alike!

Oliver & Cage, Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation, McGraw-Hill, 1975, the AC bridge "bible;" also, you'll find tricks under application notes from various manufacturers of lock-in amplifiers.

berkeman said:
Hey, great minds think alike!

Some just a little faster. Maybe we need to display posting time seconds.

hmm i don't know how much of a bridge would help cause i already have something like that.
Cap ref in series with resistor, parallel with cap series resistor. Measure the voltage differential at resistor. If all values are same, difference is zero.

What I'm more concerned is the change. In other words changing the values from 40pF to 40.5 pF can give me enough resolution to see that change. I could change the ref cap to give me different slopes of change but it all still comes out about the same in terms of max change. Is there maybe some way to convert the linear relationship to some exponential relationship or other equation that can be related to it?

1. How can small changes lead to large changes?

Small changes can lead to large changes through a phenomenon called the "butterfly effect". This concept states that small changes in a system can have a large impact on the overall outcome, similar to how a butterfly flapping its wings in one location can cause a hurricane in another location.

2. Can small changes be more impactful than big changes?

Yes, small changes can sometimes be more impactful than big changes. This is because small changes can be more targeted and focused, leading to a more precise and effective result. Big changes, on the other hand, can often be more disruptive and have unintended consequences.

3. What are some examples of small changes resulting in large changes in science?

One famous example is the discovery of penicillin, which was accidentally made by Alexander Fleming when he noticed a small contamination in his bacterial cultures. This small change ultimately led to the development of the first antibiotic, revolutionizing medicine.

Another example is the development of the atomic bomb, which was made possible through the small change of splitting an atom. This small change had a huge impact on the outcome of World War II and the course of history.

4. How can we harness the power of small changes?

To harness the power of small changes, we must be open to experimentation and innovation. By constantly making small changes and analyzing their effects, we can learn and adapt, leading to larger and more significant changes over time. It's also important to have a growth mindset and be willing to take risks in order to see the potential of small changes.

5. Are there any downsides to focusing on small changes?

While small changes can lead to big results, it's important to also consider the bigger picture and potential consequences of these changes. Sometimes, small changes can have unintended and negative impacts, especially when not carefully thought out. It's important to weigh the pros and cons and consider the long-term effects of small changes before implementing them.