Kinematic Equations: Can They be Used with 0 Acceleration?

In summary, the equation xf= xi + V*xi*t + (1/2)*ax*t^2 can be used even if the acceleration is equal to zero. This is because, although the acceleration is zero, the object can still be moving at a constant velocity. However, the other kinematic equation vxf^2 = vxi^2 + 2ax(xf-xi) may not make sense in this case, as the object's initial and final positions may not be the same. It is important to keep in mind that acceleration is the change in velocity as a function of time.
~christina~
Gold Member
Can they be used if the acceleration is = to zero??

I know that they can only be used if the acceleration is constant but is zero considered a constant??

Thanks =):confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? Try it and see what happens.

What do you mean try it?? I don't have a particular question...if I plug it into...

xf= xi + V*xi*t +(1/2)*ax*t^2 I get
if a=0

xf= xi +v*xi*t+ 0

Does this mean it is okay? I'm not sure what it would mean to say it "can be used".

Well, does the equation make sense when you made a=0?

:cry: I don't know...seriously..if it is okay or doesn't make sense...

is it yes?
reasoning: it is for the position as a function of time but even though you cancel out the t^2 with the zero there is still another t in the equation but this wouldn't make sense for the other kinematic equation:

vxf^2= vxi^2 +2ax(xf-xi)

since if you put in 0 for the ax then the only thing left is vxf^2= vxi^2
I'm not sure if that would make sense...but if it had 0 acceleration the object could still be moving so I dont' think the initial position would be the same as the final in all cases.

Help...

I don't know...*you're* going to tell me if it makes sense or not.

You are on the right track. Think some more and then post. I want you to develop the skill of thinking for yourself. (That means no one else post an answer for her, PLEASE :grumpy:).

that response doesn't help at all, it doesn't give me any clue as to if my thoughts are correct or incorrect...all you tell me is to think...I did that before and posted what I thought...can't you give me a hint or something?

P.S telling me to think more isn't helping me...

I think cyrus is hoping that one would realize if acceleration, a = 0, then the problem is one of constant velocity.

Acceleration is the change in velocity as a function of time.

Thank you...Astronuc
That helped a lot ..now I can keep it in mind that it does make sense.

What are kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations are a set of mathematical formulas that describe the motion of objects. They can be used to calculate various quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

How are kinematic equations used?

Kinematic equations are used to solve problems involving the motion of objects. They can be applied to different scenarios, such as an object moving with constant acceleration or an object moving with no acceleration.

Can kinematic equations be used with 0 acceleration?

Yes, kinematic equations can be used with 0 acceleration. In this case, the equations simplify to basic equations of motion, such as distance equals velocity multiplied by time.

What happens when an object has 0 acceleration?

When an object has 0 acceleration, it is either at rest or moving with constant velocity. This means that its speed and direction do not change over time.

Are there any limitations to using kinematic equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using kinematic equations. They assume that the motion of an object is taking place in a straight line and that the acceleration is constant. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not always hold true.