Sketch Curve: Parametric Equations x=e^-t+t, y=e^t-t

In summary, a sketch curve is a visual representation of a mathematical equation or function, created by plotting points and connecting them to form a curve. Parametric equations express the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more parameters and are used to describe motion in two- or three-dimensional space. The equations x=e^-t+t and y=e^t-t represent a curve, with t as the parameter that controls the motion of a point on the curve. To sketch this curve, you can plot points and connect them, or use a graphing calculator or software. The parameters in these equations are significant as they represent the independent variable and allow for exploration of different points on the curve.
baokhuyen

Homework Statement

sketch the curve of parametric equations:
x= e^-t + t
y= e^t - t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don;t know how to eliminate the parameter
Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible to sketch the curve without trying to eliminate the parameter, which I'm not even sure you can do. Just put in a few values of t and connect them with a curve.

1. What is a sketch curve?

A sketch curve is a visual representation of a mathematical equation or function. It is created by plotting points on a coordinate plane according to the given equation, and then connecting these points to form a curve.

2. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more parameters. These equations are used to describe the motion of a point or object in a two- or three-dimensional space.

3. What do the equations x=e^-t+t and y=e^t-t represent?

The equations x=e^-t+t and y=e^t-t represent parametric equations for a curve. The variable t represents the parameter, and as t increases, the coordinates (x,y) of the point on the curve change accordingly.

4. How can I sketch the curve represented by these parametric equations?

To sketch the curve, you can plot points by substituting different values for t in the given equations. Then, connect these points to form a smooth curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph the curve.

5. What is the significance of the parameters in these equations?

The parameters in these equations represent the independent variable, t, which controls the motion of the point or object on the curve. By changing the values of t, you can explore different points on the curve and see how they are connected.