What I am doing wrong? arc length of parametric functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of a parametrized curve and the use of the arc length equation. The person is having trouble getting the correct answer and is asking for help. They are reminded to take into account the absolute value when integrating and to split the integral into two parts. This ultimately leads to the correct answer of 45.2548 units of distance covered by the point P(t) between t=0 and t=8.
motornoob101
So this seems to be a pretty straightforward question but I keep getting the arc length to be 0 and I redid this question many times..

Find the length of the parametrized curve given by

x(t) =[tex]t^{2}-8t + 24[/tex]
y(t) =[tex]t^{2}-8t -7 [/tex]

How many units of distance are covered by the point P(t) =(x(t), y(t)) between t=0, and t =8?

So my first step of course is to find dx/dt and dy/dt
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=2t-8[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=2t-8[/tex]

Then set up the arc length equation
arc length = [tex]\int^{8}_{0}\sqrt{{\frac{dx}{dt}}^2+{\frac{dy}{dt}}^2}dt[/tex]
= [tex]\int^{8}_{0}\sqrt{{(2t-8)}^2+{(2t-8)}^2}dt[/tex]
= [tex]\int^{8}_{0}\sqrt{2{(2t-8)}^2}dt[/tex]
= [tex]\int^{8}_{0}\sqrt{2}(2t-8)dt[/tex]
=[tex]\sqrt{2}\int^{8}_{0}(2t-8)dt[/tex]
=[tex]\sqrt{2}\left[{t}^2-8t\right]^{8}_{0}dt[/tex]

Which give me an answer of zero when the answer is suppose to be 45.2548.

What I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you forgotten that [itex]\sqrt{x^2}= |x|[/itex]?

But it still give me zero though. I don't see how it changes things. Could you elaborate a bit more? Thanks

you need [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{8}_{0}[/tex]|2t-8|dt. to integrate this, notice that from 0 to 4, 2t - 8 is the negative of |2t - 8|. so we must multiply it by -1 to get 8 - 2t. from 4 to 8 2t - 8 = |2t - 8|, so w,e can leave it as is. so you must separate this into two integrals, the 8 - 2t from 0 to 4, and 2t - 8 from 4 to 8, then add the results.

Last edited:
Oh I see. Thanks so much

1. What is an "arc length" of a parametric function?

The arc length of a parametric function is the distance along the curve traced out by the function. It is a measure of the length of the curve and is typically denoted by the symbol "s".

2. How is the arc length of a parametric function calculated?

The arc length of a parametric function is calculated using the formula:
s = ∫ab√(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2) dt
where a and b are the start and end points of the curve, and x'(t) and y'(t) represent the first derivatives of the x and y components of the parametric function.

3. What are some common mistakes made when finding the arc length of a parametric function?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to square the derivatives in the formula, using the wrong values for a and b, and not properly simplifying the integrand.

4. Can the arc length of a parametric function be negative?

No, the arc length of a parametric function cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the distance along the curve.

5. How is the arc length of a parametric function different from the length of a straight line?

The arc length of a parametric function is the total distance traveled along the curve, while the length of a straight line is simply the distance between two points. The arc length takes into account the curvature of the curve, whereas the length of a straight line does not.