What is the average radius of the pipe within the hill?

In summary, the problem involves an old two pipe system running through a hill with known distances and pipe radius on each side. To determine the radius within the hill, hydraulic engineers use the equation AoVo=AV and find that the average radius is .03m. However, it is unclear where the distance of 55m and time of 44.4s come from. Further clarification is needed for a complete solution.
jinman

Homework Statement

An old two pipe system runs through a hill, with distances D_a=D_b=30m and the total Distance is D=110m. On each side of the hill, the pipe radius is .0200m. However, the radius of the pipe inside the hill is no longer known. To determine it, hydraulic engineers first establish that the water flows through the left and right sections at 2.50m/s. Then they release a dye in the water at point A and find that it takes 88.8s to reach point B. What is the average radius of the pipe within the hill (sorry i don't have a diagram)?

Homework Equations

AoVo=AV

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I cut this problem in half to try and make it work. I used AoVo=AV where Ao is the little pipe, and A is the the middle pipe.

AoVo=AV>>>>(pi_r^2)(2.50m/s)=(pi_r^2)(V)

solve for r^2 on right

(pi_r^2)(2.50m/s)=(pi_r^2)(d/t)>>>>sq. root(.02^2)(2.50m/s)(44.4s) / 55m= .03m

i know i am going wrong in many places. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The method used seems Ok, but I can't tell where the distance of 55m you used comes from, nor do I understand why you use 44.5s instead of 88.8s. I thought d was the lenth of the pipe in the hill and t the time it for the dye to go through this pipe?

I used 55m because D=110m is the the whole system, so i looked at the first half. which is why i used 44.4 seconds. Is this the right to do the problem?

1. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in a horizontal flow. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation derived?

Bernoulli's equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. By considering the kinetic and potential energy of a fluid element, Bernoulli's equation can be derived.

3. What are the assumptions of Bernoulli's equation?

The assumptions of Bernoulli's equation are that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid (no friction), and the flow is steady and laminar (smooth). Additionally, the equation only applies to ideal fluids, such as air and water, and is valid for horizontal flow.

4. What are the applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications, including in aerodynamics, hydraulics, and meteorology. It is used to analyze and design fluid flow systems, such as airfoils, pipes, and pumps. It is also used to predict weather patterns, such as the formation of high and low-pressure systems.

5. How can Bernoulli's equation be used to solve problems?

To use Bernoulli's equation to solve problems, the known values of pressure, velocity, and elevation must be identified and plugged into the equation. By rearranging the equation, it is possible to solve for the unknown variables and determine the behavior of the fluid in the system.