Electric Field and Dielectric: Displacement Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of an electric field to a dielectric material and the resulting displacement field. The physical meaning behind the term \epsilon_{0}E is to make the units work out correctly, and it is a convention that can be adjusted in different systems of units. The conversation also mentions the restriction of the constitutive relation to linear, homogeneous, and isotropic materials, and how it can be expanded for non-linear materials or dynamic fields. The example of water as a material and the use of a sinusoidal field is also discussed.
Apteronotus
Hi,

Suppose we apply an electric field E to a dielectric material. It is my understanding that the actual field that is formed as a result of our applied field is given by the displacement field D.

D=[tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex]E+P

I know that the field P is due to the polarization of the atoms withing the dielectric.

1. what is the physical meaning behind [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex]E?
2. Specifically, why is the contribution of our applied field E being scaled by the permittivity of free space [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex]?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] is there to make the units work out correctly. The polarization field is measured in coulombs per meter squared (perpendicular to the vector, just as current density is measured). The D field uses the same units as P.

This is just a convention; one could just as easily define

[tex]\vec D_{new} = \vec E + \frac 1{\epsilon_0} \vec P[/tex]

and you could work out the same equations, only with different constants. In fact, in some systems of units, [itex]\epsilon_0 \equiv 1[/itex], so this question becomes moot.

What you wrote is a highly restricted form of a constitutive relation- you wrote it for a linear material which is not moving.

There's lots of equivalent ways to write what you wrote (D = [itex]\epsilon[/itex]E = [itex]\epsilon_{r}\epsilon_{0}[/itex]E = (1+4[itex]\pi\chi[/itex])[itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex]E =...)

The idea is that the displacement field in regions of matter is composed of the "matter-free" field and an additional contribution from the matter.

Fantastic! Thank you both very much.

On a related item...

I now that the equation is valid only for Linear, Homogenous Isotropic materials.
The material that I'm concerned with is water (which I believe to be isotropic --Encyclopedia Britannica).
And my applied electric field is dynamic (sinusoidal).

Off the top of your heads... is there a great leap between the equation
[tex]
\vec D = \epsilon_0 \vec E + \vec P
[/tex]
and one which would apply in my case?

Could you direct me to any resources where the above equation is given for a more general case (ie. not so restrictive)?

Sinusoidal fields are about as basic as they come, and application of the field to a material is independent of the material response to the field.

For water, your constitutive relation is fine, as long as the frequency of oscillation doesn't go to high and the field amplitude isn't too large. In those cases, you need a more general, nonlinear, constitutive relation:

D ~ aE +bE^2 +cE^3+...

If it's moving, there's components from the magnetization that also figure in.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its vicinity. It is represented by a vector quantity and its direction is defined as the direction that a positive charge would move when placed in the field.

2. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is directly related to electric potential, as the electric potential at a certain point is equal to the electric field at that point multiplied by the distance from a reference point. In other words, electric field is the gradient of electric potential.

3. What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that can be polarized by an electric field. This means that the material's atoms or molecules can be rearranged in response to an applied electric field, creating a dipole moment and allowing the material to store electrical energy.

4. How does a dielectric material affect the electric field?

A dielectric material affects the electric field by reducing its strength within the material. This is because the polarized molecules within the material create an opposing electric field, cancelling out a portion of the applied field. This results in a decrease in the overall electric field within the material.

5. What is the displacement field in relation to electric field and dielectric materials?

The displacement field, also known as the electric flux density, is a measure of the amount of electric flux passing through a given area. In the presence of dielectric materials, the displacement field is equal to the electric field multiplied by the permittivity of the material. This accounts for the effect of the material on the overall electric field.