Finding Particle Velocities in Center of Mass Calculation

• Thread starter Littlepig
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses problems with calculating the center of mass (CM) for a system with a mass of M and a velocity of Vx. The CM is made of n particles with equal masses, but their velocities are unknown. Energy and momentum conservation equations are used to try and find the velocities, but a solution is not reached. The conversation concludes with the realization that the problem needs to be reformulated.
Littlepig
hi there.

I'm having some problems with Center Mass calculations... I have a CM moving at x-axis with Vx, and it as a mass of M.

Now, assume CM is made of n particles, but i only know their masses(all equal m), not their speed. My problem is how do i find their velocities? By Energy and momentum conservation,

[tex]MV=m\sum^{n}_{i=1}v_{i}[/tex]
and
[tex]MV^{2}=m\sum^{n}_{i=1}v^{2}_{i}[/tex]
substituting V in second; as M=m*n(Mass of mass center is the sum of the masses of all particles) and simplifying
[tex](\sum^{n}_{i=1}V_{i})^2/n=\sum^{n}_{i=1}v^{2}_{i}[/tex]

And I'm stuck here. Even if i begin to assume something, like a random velocity of one particle, i can't get a algorithm that have physical meaning for solving this equation in order to [tex]v_{i}[/tex] for every i

Can any1 tell me if there's a solution, or at least a clue about it?

Thanks in advance,
Littlepig

Physics news on Phys.org
Littlepig said:
I'm having some problems with Center Mass calculations... I have a CM moving at x-axis with Vx, and it as a mass of M.
You mean: You have a system with total mass M whose CM has a velocity = Vx.

Now, assume CM is made of n particles, but i only know their masses(all equal m), not their speed. My problem is how do i find their velocities?
Not enough information.
By Energy and momentum conservation,

[tex]MV=m\sum^{n}_{i=1}v_{i}[/tex]
This is correct (by definition of CM).
and
[tex]MV^{2}=m\sum^{n}_{i=1}v^{2}_{i}[/tex]
This is not correct.

Simple example: Imagine a gas of particles in a jar. Total momentum = 0, velocity of CM = 0, yet total KE of the particles does not equal zero.

Yeah, you are right..xD i must then reformulate my problem...xD

Tk U very much

1. What is the "CM to particle's CM problem"?

The "CM to particle's CM problem" refers to the concept in physics where we consider the motion of a single particle in relation to the center of mass (CM) of a larger system. This is particularly useful in studying the motion of objects in space or in analyzing collisions between objects.

2. Why is it important to consider the CM to particle's CM problem?

By considering the motion of a single particle in relation to the CM of a larger system, we can simplify the analysis and calculations involved. This allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of the system as a whole.

3. How do you calculate the CM of a system?

The CM of a system can be calculated by taking the average position of all the particles in the system, with each particle's mass taken into account. This can be represented by the equation: CM = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m is the mass of the particle and x is its position.

4. Can the CM of a system be outside of the physical boundaries of the system?

Yes, the CM of a system can be located outside of the physical boundaries of the system. This is because the CM is a mathematical point that represents the average position of all the particles in the system, and it does not necessarily have to be within the boundaries of the system.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to the CM to particle's CM problem?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning it does not change over time. This principle applies to the CM to particle's CM problem, as the total momentum of the system's particles in relation to the CM will remain constant, even if individual particles have different velocities or directions of motion.