Are Maxwell's Equations More Complex Than We Thought?

In summary, the equation that is given to describe the curl of electric field energy is: curl E(r,t) = -dB/dt.
lichen
Easy question for those who know, I expect. It would help me understand though.

Generally, wherever I look for information the equation

curl E = - dB/dt

is given, but in some areas I see the equation

curl E(r,t) = j*omega*u0*H(r,t)

where j is the imaginary unit, omega is angular freq., u0 is permeability of free space.

B=u0*H so that's ok, but does this imply that dB/dt = -j*omega*B ?

Also, curl H(r,t) = -j*omega*e0*e*E(r,t) is given where e0 is permittivity of free space, e is a dielectric tensor. I assume this can be explained in the same way.

I'm missing a chunk of understanding as you probably notice ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, when trying to write down solutions to Mawell's equations, people assume two things about the field:

1) The spatial part and the temporal part can be separated: E(r,t) = R(r)T(t).
2) The temporal part can be written as T(t) = Ae[itex]^{i \omega t}[/itex].

The first assumption is fairly basic to solving differential equations, and separable functions are a very important class of solutions- I can't give a consise reason why, but for now, it makes it possible to analytically solve the equations.

The second assumption just means that the temperal part oscillates like a sine wave. It's written that way to be more general (and actually, the full expression is T(t) = Ae[itex]^{i \omega t}[/itex] + BAe[itex]^{-i \omega t}[/itex] ). There's good reasons for this assumption as well, which I don't need to get into now.

Anyhow, hopefully you can see where the j[itex]\omega[/itex] comes from now- electrical engineers use 'j' instead of 'i' becasue 'i' is current density.

The other part is the conversion of E to D, and B to H. But you seem to have a handle on that part.

Ah, yes I see now.

Thanks very much!

What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They were developed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to understanding electricity and magnetism.

What is the significance of Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are significant because they unified the previously separate theories of electricity and magnetism, and they also predicted the existence of electromagnetic waves, which were later confirmed by experiments and led to the development of modern communication technologies.

What are the four equations that make up Maxwell's equations?

The four equations are Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law of induction, and Ampere's law with Maxwell's addition. They describe the relationship between electric fields, magnetic fields, electric charge, and current.

How are Maxwell's equations used in practical applications?

Maxwell's equations are used in various practical applications such as designing electronic circuits, calculating the behavior of antennas, and understanding the propagation of electromagnetic waves. They are also essential in the development of technologies like radio, television, and wireless communication.

What is the role of Maxwell's equations in the field of physics?

Maxwell's equations play a crucial role in the field of physics as they provide a basic understanding of how electric and magnetic fields interact and also serve as the foundation for the theory of electromagnetism. They are used in many areas of physics, including optics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics.