Seeking Surge Protection for Switch and Motherboard

In summary: Metal Oxide Varistor, maybe?A metal oxide varistor (MOV) can be a good choice to protect against ESD spikes.
temujin
Hi,

I have a switch connected to a motherboard.
During ESD test with 8000kV (directly on the switch) the ESD spike caused my system to reboot, and I need some kind of surge protection betwee nthe switch and motherboard.

I am not sure what I need to look for?
Can anyone suggest a component I can use? I need to put spikes to ground but I´m not sure about other specifications.

regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd probably use a relay, or opto-coupler, or galvanic isolator. Actually, if you really are using 8 MV (!) you should be using a contactor or vacuum switch, something that's meant to handle that sort of voltage without arcing (assuming you have any current behind your voltage). You're lucky your system just reboots, and that you haven't burnt anything out (yet).

temujin said:
Hi,

I have a switch connected to a motherboard.
During ESD test with 8000kV (directly on the switch) the ESD spike caused my system to reboot, and I need some kind of surge protection betwee nthe switch and motherboard.

I am not sure what I need to look for?
Can anyone suggest a component I can use? I need to put spikes to ground but I´m not sure about other specifications.

regards

Pretty sure that's a typo, and temunjin meant 8kV. 8kV "contact" discharge is a pretty standard reliability/immunity test, as is 15kV "air" discharge.

temunjin, there are a number of standard techniques for designing for EMC compliance, which includes ESD immunity. The subject is too big to address very well in just this thread, so here are some suggested initial sources of information that you should read. Once you've done some background reading, please feel free to post follow-up questions here.

[1] "Protection of Electronic Circuits from Overvoltages", by Standler.

[2] "ESD Immunity in System Designs, System Field Experiences and Effects of PWB Layout", by Smith and Nakauchi:

http://emcesd.com/pdf/eos00-w.pdf

Perfect timing! Thanks berkeman.

Thanks for the tips and links.

...and yes, I meant 8kV (not 8000kv).

The pdf you (berkman) linked was interesting, but due to tight time frames right now I have changed the switch for one with a higher rating. Hopefully it will work.

t.

a simple Metal Oxide Varistor, maybe?

Proton Soup said:
a simple Metal Oxide Varistor, maybe?

was my first thought as well, but it had no effect...

t.

1. What is surge protection and why is it important for my switch and motherboard?

Surge protection is a mechanism that protects electronic devices from sudden spikes in electrical voltage. These spikes, also known as power surges, can cause damage to sensitive components in your switch and motherboard, potentially rendering them unusable. Surge protection helps to regulate the voltage and prevent damage, ensuring the longevity and proper functioning of your devices.

2. How do I know if I need surge protection for my switch and motherboard?

If you live in an area with frequent thunderstorms or have experienced power surges in the past, it is highly recommended to invest in surge protection for your switch and motherboard. Additionally, if you have expensive or critical data and components on your devices, surge protection can provide an extra layer of security and peace of mind.

3. Can I use any surge protector for my switch and motherboard?

No, it is important to choose a surge protector specifically designed for electronic devices such as switches and motherboards. These devices have different voltage requirements compared to household appliances, so using a regular surge protector may not provide adequate protection.

4. How do I install surge protection for my switch and motherboard?

Most surge protectors for electronic devices come with detailed instructions for installation. Generally, it involves plugging the surge protector into a wall outlet and then plugging your devices into the designated outlets on the surge protector. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully and consult a professional if needed.

5. How often should I replace my surge protector for my switch and motherboard?

Surge protectors have a limited lifespan and can wear out over time. It is recommended to replace them every 2-3 years, or immediately after experiencing a power surge. However, some surge protectors come with a built-in indicator that alerts you when it needs to be replaced, so make sure to check the instructions or packaging for this feature.