Electric field at tip of uniformly charged cone

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric field at the tip of a cone with uniform surface charge density. It is found that the field diverges at the tip, which is puzzling considering the charge is smeared over the surface. The derivation of the field at the tip is done by breaking the cone into hoops of variable radius and integrating the contributions of each hoop. The field is found to be infinite at the tip, which is attributed to the sharpness of the tip. However, since this is not a conductor, the relationship between high fields and sharp tips may not apply. The concept of curvature is brought up as a potential explanation for the divergence of the field.
musemonkey
1. Find the electric field at the tip of a cone of height and radius R with uniform surface charge density [tex] \sigma [/tex].

I get that the field diverges at the tip, which is puzzling because it's not as though there's a point charge at the tip. I thought this sort of thing can't happen when you treat charge as smeared over a surface.

2. Homework Equations

The field from a hoop of radius z, charge q, at height z above the hoop center is

[tex] E_{hp} = \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}z^2} [/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I break the cone into hoops of variable radius. Because it's a right cone, the distance from the tip to each differential hoop equals the radius -- very convenient. The charge on each hoop is

[tex] dq = 2\pi z \sigma ds = 2\pi z \sigma \sqrt{2} dz [/tex]

where [tex] ds = \sqrt{2} dz [/tex] is a differential arc length along the side of the cone.

Each hoop contributes to the field

[tex] dE = \frac{dq}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}z^2} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{2\pi z \sigma \sqrt{2} dz}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}z^2} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{\sigma}{4\epsilon_0} \frac{dz}{z} [/tex],

and the field is then

[tex] \int dE = \int_0^R \frac{\sigma}{4\epsilon_0} \frac{dz}{z} = \left . \frac{\sigma}{4\epsilon_0} \ln z \right |_R^0 [/tex],

which blows up at 0.

Correct? If so, what to make of it? Special surfaces can mimic point charges?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your derivation looks fine to me.

From what I remember, electric fields do diverge for sharp tips. In practice, a real "tip" will be rounded off, even if at the molecular scale. The actual field depends on the radius-of-curvature for the tip.

Still it seems a rather odd question to ask, which is essentially show that E is infinite for a particular sharp tipped object.

I've read that high fields arise at sharp tips of charged conductors because the surface charge density is much greater there. But since this is not a conductor but a uniformly charged surface, I'm not sure the two cases are actually related.

Your point about curvature is very interesting. I'll look into that. Thanks and thank you for checking my derivation!

check Jackson pg 104

musemonkey said:
But since this is not a conductor but a uniformly charged surface, I'm not sure the two cases are actually related.
That is correct. However, a sharp tip is still a sharp tip, and the electric field will basically be pointing away from the surface, so it must spread out from that point.

I agree, this is a strange question to ask.

1. What is the "electric field at the tip of a uniformly charged cone"?

The electric field at the tip of a uniformly charged cone refers to the strength and direction of the electric field at the sharp point of a cone that has a uniform distribution of electric charge. It is a measure of the force that would be exerted on a small positive test charge placed at the tip of the cone.

2. How is the electric field at the tip of a uniformly charged cone calculated?

The electric field at the tip of a uniformly charged cone can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the cone, and r is the distance from the tip of the cone to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. Is the electric field at the tip of a uniformly charged cone affected by the angle of the cone?

Yes, the angle of the cone does affect the electric field at its tip. A cone with a smaller angle will have a stronger electric field at its tip compared to a cone with a larger angle, assuming they have the same charge and other variables.

4. Can the electric field at the tip of a uniformly charged cone be negative?

Yes, the electric field at the tip of a uniformly charged cone can be negative. This means that the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive test charge. This can occur if the charge on the cone is negative or if the angle of the cone is such that the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field at the tip of a uniformly charged cone?

The electric field at the tip of a uniformly charged cone has various applications in industries such as electronics, physics, and engineering. It is used to design and understand the behavior of lightning rods, electrostatic generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in the development of nanotechnology and in the study of electric fields in atmospheric conditions.