Calculating Centrifugal Force of a Car on a Curved Road

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of forces exerted on a car passing over an arc. Using the equation f=mv^2/r, the Centripetal force is determined to be 12239.15844 N, while the gravity exerted on the car is 16758 N. When taking the ground as the reference frame, the force the road exerts on the car is calculated to be 4518.84156 N. The conversation concludes that there are no apparent errors in the calculations unless there are factors such as relativity or Quantum Mechanics involved.
Ry122
http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/cent.jpg

my attempt:
The car becomes lighter as it passes over the arc therefore its going to exert a force on the road that is less than its normal force.
f=mv^2/r
f=1710(16.6)^2/38.5 = 12239.15844
9.8 x 1710 = 16758
16758-12239.15844
this is incorrect, what am i doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay to me. I got 4536 N using g = 9.81.

As a matter of fact let me do the math for you here.(I've no idea if my expression is clear or not because English is not my mother tongue.)
The gravity exerted on the car is :
G=mg=16758N
And the Centripetal force needed is:
f=mv^2/R=12239.15844N
As the forces exerted on the car is the Centripetal force if we take the ground as the reference frame
so
N+f=G
N=4518.84156N
This is right the force the road exert on the car...if I'm asked to solve it.
I don't see any problems unless it's a problem of relativity or Quantunm Mechanics...

it says to use 9.8 for gravity and round off to the nearest tenth. What would it be then?

Simply 9.8? :tongue2:

Ry122 said:
it says to use 9.8 for gravity and round off to the nearest tenth. What would it be then?

That's exactly what I did.
I don't see anything wrong.

What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects moving in a curved path. It is caused by the inertia of the object trying to continue on a straight path while also being pulled towards the center of the curve.

How does centrifugal force affect a car?

In a car, centrifugal force plays a role in keeping the vehicle moving in a curved path while turning. It pulls the car towards the outside of the curve, making it feel like it is being pushed outwards.

How is centrifugal force related to centripetal force?

Centrifugal force and centripetal force are two sides of the same coin. Centrifugal force is the outward force experienced by an object in motion, while centripetal force is the inward force that keeps the object moving in a curved path.

What factors affect the centrifugal force of a car?

The centrifugal force experienced by a car is affected by its speed, mass, and the radius of the curve it is traveling on. The faster the car is moving, the greater the centrifugal force. Additionally, a heavier car or a smaller radius of the curve will also result in a stronger centrifugal force.

Can centrifugal force cause a car to lose control?

Yes, in extreme cases, centrifugal force can cause a car to lose control. This typically happens when a car is traveling at high speeds and the centrifugal force becomes stronger than the friction between the tires and the road, causing the car to slide or skid out of control.