Capacitors in parallel question

In summary, when a 2microF capacitor charged to a p.d. of 50V and a 3microF capacitor charged to 100V are connected in parallel, the equivalent capacitance is 5microF. The p.d. across each capacitor after they are connected is 80V, and the total energy stored by the capacitors is 0.0004 Joules. The loss of stored energy when the capacitors are connected is due to the transfer of energy from the 100V capacitor to the 50V capacitor.
Fuego
If i take a 2microF capacitor charged to a p.d. of 50V, and a 3microF capacitor charged to 100V, and connect them in parallel with their positive plates connected,

a) what is the equivalent capacitance of this combintation?
b) what is the p.d. across each capacitor after they are connected?
c) what is the total energy stored by the capacitors?
d) why is there a loss of stored energy when the capacitors are connected (as opposed to when they are separate)?

Part a is pretty simple (i think!). you just add the capacitance of each capacitor to get 5microF, right?

Part b confuses me. I know that when capacitors are in parallel, the voltage is the same on each one, but I don't know how to find that voltage! Is it just 50V + 100V = 150V? Or is it the average of the two = 75V? Or something else?

For part C I guess i need to use the equation Energy stored = (1/2)CV^2, but for that I need to know the p.d. across the capacitors!

Part d: is it because energy is lost in the wires that connect the capacitors?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little rusty so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but:

A) Yes, 5mF.
B) When you close the circuit the 100V capacitor will discharge into the 50V capacitor until the voltages are equalized.
C) Add the two together, so: (0.000002 x 50) + (0.000003 x 100) = 0.0004 Joules. This means that the end result is a charge of (0.0004 / 0.000005) = 80 Volts.
D) There is a loss of energy from the 100V capacitor as it discharges into the 50V capacitor. Assuming both capacitors are rated at least 80V, the total energy will only drop slightly as a result of heat generated during this transfer of energy.

Pergatory,

You almost got it. But even if there were no heat losses during the transfer the final configuration would be storing less energy than the original one. 5uF at 80 volts is less energy than 2uF at 50V plus 3uF at 100V.

:confused:
Assuming no heat loss, we begin with 0.0004 Joules, and end with 0.0004 Joules, right? What energy is lost?

1. What is the purpose of connecting capacitors in parallel?

Connecting capacitors in parallel allows for an increase in the total capacitance, which results in a larger charge storage capacity and a decrease in the overall equivalent resistance. This can be useful in applications where a larger capacitance is needed or to improve the filtering and smoothing of electric signals.

2. How do you calculate the total capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

The total capacitance of capacitors in parallel is calculated by adding the individual capacitances together. For example, if two capacitors with values of 10μF and 20μF are connected in parallel, the total capacitance would be 10μF + 20μF = 30μF.

3. Can capacitors in parallel have different capacitance values?

Yes, capacitors in parallel can have different capacitance values. The total capacitance will be equal to the sum of the individual capacitances, regardless of their values. However, it is recommended to use capacitors with similar values to ensure even distribution of the charge.

4. What happens to the voltage across capacitors in parallel?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each capacitor remains the same. This is because the capacitors are connected to the same voltage source and therefore have the same potential difference across them.

5. Are there any disadvantages to connecting capacitors in parallel?

One disadvantage of connecting capacitors in parallel is that it can increase the overall cost and size of the circuit. Additionally, if the capacitors have different leakage currents, the total leakage current will be higher in a parallel circuit compared to a series circuit. This can result in a shorter lifespan for the capacitors.