What Are the Steps for Using Change of Variables to Find Bounded Regions?

In summary, when using change of variables to find the region bounded by y = x, y = 2x, xy = 1, and xy = 2, it is suggested to set either u or v = xy in order to have constant limits in the uv integral. In this case, setting v = xy results in constant limits of 1 to 2, and to choose u, it is necessary to have y = x and y = 2x give constant limits as well. Therefore, u = y/x is chosen, resulting in constant limits for y = x and y = 2x. This can be verified by plotting the uv region.
mattbonner

Homework Statement

using change of variables, find the region bounded by
y = x, y = 2x, xy = 1, xy=2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i have to introduce the variables u, v
the problem is i don't understand how to introduce them
i tried read the textbook but the examples all introduce the new variables for you

i think i understand the steps that follow, I am just stuck at the beginning

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you would like your uv integral to have constant limits if possible. You have xy=1 and xy=2 so that certainly suggests setting u or v = xy. If you use v, then v will go from 1 to 2.

Now can you see how to choose u so that y = x and y = 2x give you constant limits for u?

i guess y/x?
that'll give me 1 to 2 as well?

Good guess. I hope it wasn't a pure guess. You don't have to ask about the limits. Look at the equations. And plot your uv region.

i vaguely remembered a similar example the prof did, i missed how he had chosen u and v, which resulted in my confusion

thank you so much for the help!

What is a change of variables and why is it important?

A change of variables is a mathematical technique used to transform an equation or function from one set of variables to another. It is important because it allows for easier integration and simplification of complex equations.

How do you perform a change of variables?

To perform a change of variables, you first need to identify the original variables and the desired variables. Then, you can use substitution or transformation techniques to rewrite the equation or function in terms of the new variables.

What are some common applications of change of variables?

Change of variables is commonly used in calculus, differential equations, and physics to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. It is also useful in statistics for transforming data to fit a specific distribution or to compare different datasets.

What are the benefits of using change of variables?

The main benefit of using change of variables is that it can make solving complex equations easier and more manageable. It can also help in finding new solutions to problems and can provide a more intuitive understanding of mathematical concepts.

Are there any limitations to using change of variables?

While change of variables can be a powerful mathematical tool, it may not always be applicable or result in a simpler equation. It is important to carefully consider the original equation and the desired variables before performing a change of variables.