How do you insert a break using latex?

In summary, to insert a line break using LaTeX, you can use the align* environment to give multiple lines and use the \\ command to indicate a line break within the environment. Alternatively, you can use the array environment or put a paragraph break (\par) at the beginning of each line.
darryw
How do you insert a break using latex?

Homework Statement

all my equations come out on one sinle line.. please help??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think this is a homework question...

Try using a LaTeX environment designed to give multiple lines. I like using align* Here's an example.

[tex]\begin{align*}
a & = b + c + c \\
& = b + 2c \\
b & = a - 2c
\end{align*}[/tex]

Within the environment, lines are separated by \\, and the & character marks an alignment point within each line. As usual, click on the equation to see the LaTeX code used.

In addition to the above comment, you may want to give us a snippet of your latex code so that we can see the problem firsthand.

latex is so awesome..
thanks you

using this, \\ within the latex environment isn't making a line break. What am i doing wrong??

for example..

[tex]a & = b + c + c \\
& = b + 2c \\
b & = a - 2[/tex]

this is copied and pasted from the above post but it won't do the line breaks.. (??) thank you

Sylas's script looks like this (with extra spaces in the tex tags so that what's inside doesn't render).
[ tex]\begin{align*}a & = b + c + c \\& = b + 2c \\b & = a - 2c\end{align*}[ /tex]

You don't have the \begin{align*} and \end{align*} tags.

sylas said that "Within the environment, lines are separated by \\, and the & character marks an alignment point within each line."
so why doesn't just inserting \\ give line break? (basically i just want to know the simplest fastest way to get a line break)

thanks

I think that by "within the environment" he meant the content between the \begin{} and \end{} tags. If that's not what he meant he can correct me.

Did you notice that Sylas also said "Try using a LaTeX environment designed to give multiple lines"? The environment is defined by the begin and end commands.

But your question is still valid, because in my LEd (LaTeX Editor), I seem to be able to start a new line with \\ anywhere. I guess it only works in some of the environments here.

i guess i don't understand what an environment is.. can you tell me exactly what i should type to get a line break? thanks

I just do it the dumb way. I start and end a line one at a time. Why do you want to save the typing of (tex) and (/tex) and have to go through all the trouble to do this. Just start one line, end the line, hit return and start another line. Notice I use ( ) instead [ ] so it won't go to Latex.

can someone please explain how to insert line break?? please?
i don't understand how to do this, except by starting new latex line everytime i want a break.
thanks

i tries using yungmans method but this doesn't work, as can be seen from this example...
[tex]testing 123
testing456
testing 678
[/tex]

What exactly do i put into latex so that there is a line break between testing 123 and testing 456?

[tex]begin{align*}
a & = b + c + c \\
& = b + 2c \\
b & = a - 2c
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Ive been experimenting with latex: am i right in saying that to the only way to get line breaks is to type "begin{align*}" at beginning of latex, then type "\end{align*}" at the end of latex, and also to type "\\" for the exact location of desired line break?
To me (dont know anything about code) this seems like a lot of stuff to type for a simple line break, isn't it?? or is this common?? fyi, I am not insulting latex, i think its great, but in comparison to <br> it seems sort of over the top, no? is there a simpler way to get line break, or is this the simplest way? thank you

[tex]\begin{align*}a = b\\ + c + c = b + 2c \\ b = a - 2c \end{align*}[/tex]

also, in the above latex, why isn't the 3rd line starting at the far left? thanks

Try this:

[tex]
\begin{array}{c}
\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1\\
F(x) = \int_0^xf(t)dt\\
\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1
\end{array}
[/tex]

You can also avoid the array thing by putting a paragraph break at the beginning of each line like this:

[tex]
\par\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1
\par F(x) = \int_0^xf(t)dt
\par\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1
[/tex]

1. How do you insert a line break in the middle of a paragraph using LaTeX?

To insert a line break in the middle of a paragraph using LaTeX, use the command \\ or \newline at the desired location. This will create a new line without starting a new paragraph.

2. How do you insert a page break in LaTeX?

To insert a page break in LaTeX, use the command \newpage at the desired location. This will start a new page and move all the text after the command to the new page.

3. How do you insert a line break without creating a new paragraph in LaTeX?

To insert a line break without creating a new paragraph in LaTeX, use the command \\* or \linebreak at the desired location. This will create a new line without starting a new paragraph, and it will also prevent a page break from occurring at that location.

4. How do you insert a conditional line break in LaTeX?

To insert a conditional line break in LaTeX, use the command \\[length] at the desired location. This will create a line break with the specified length only if it is necessary to avoid an overfull or underfull line.

5. How do you insert a non-breaking space in LaTeX?

To insert a non-breaking space in LaTeX, use the command ~ at the desired location. This will prevent a line break from occurring at that space, even if the text is justified. It is commonly used to prevent a name or number from being split across lines.