Study Physics in Italy: University of Trieste & Other Options

• Thread starter Sirium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is from Croatia and is considering studying physics in Italy due to its proximity and their proficiency in Italian. They are particularly interested in the University of Trieste and ask if it is possible to study in English there. They also ask for any recommendations for the best university in Italy for physics. Another individual responds, stating that the current political climate in Italy has negatively impacted the field of science. They suggest considering universities with excellence schools, such as Trieste and Pisa, or the prestigious "La Sapienza" in Rome. The original individual expresses concerns about Rome being expensive and overcrowded.
Sirium
Hi all, I come from Croatia (Europe) and i just finished 2nd year of high school. I was doing a litlle thinking where to go when i finish my high school and I decided I'll probably study physics. Since Italy is very near Croatia and I have Italian classes in school I was thinking about going to university in Italy. I was wondering have you heard what is the best university in Italy for physics? Is University of Trieste good? Is that any way to study laurae (1. cycle of Bologna process) in English? Since my English is better than my Italian.
Thanks for your answers and excuse me for gramar and spelling mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sirium,

this is an Italian speaking. It's bad time for science in Italy, new politics did a major overhaul: funds have been cut off and the title of "researcher" is not anymore reckoned by law. From the next year onward, the new laws will have severe impact even on teaching. Most universities (such as the one in my city) are going to suppress many Masters in physics as well as some courses at Bachelor, due to insufficient personnels.

If you wish anyway to study Physics in my country, I suggest you to join any University with an excellence school on its support (even if you don't join the school directly). Good choice could be Trieste (SISSA) and Pisa (SNS). The most important italian university for physics is probably "La Sapienza" (Roma), it has an impressive number of teaching and research fields, keep an eye on its website.

Good luck,
Ll.

Thanks for your reply. If looks to me there is no good place for science nowdays. I still think in Italy I can get better education than in Croatia (have you maybe heard any comparation with physics in Italy and Croatia?). I'm happy to hear that they have a good faculty of physics in Trieste, becase it's very near Croatia. About university in Roma, I have heard it's best but the problem is I don't like Roma. It's seems very expensive and overcrowded to me. Maybe it's cause i visited it as a tourist...

1. What are the admission requirements for studying physics in Italy at the University of Trieste?

The admission requirements for studying physics at the University of Trieste in Italy vary depending on the level of study. For undergraduate programs, students must have a high school diploma or equivalent with a strong background in mathematics and physics. For graduate programs, a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is required. In addition, international students may also need to demonstrate proficiency in the Italian language.

2. What is the curriculum like for studying physics at the University of Trieste?

The curriculum for studying physics at the University of Trieste is designed to provide students with a solid foundation in both theoretical and experimental physics. Courses cover a wide range of topics such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. In addition, students also have the opportunity to participate in research projects and internships to gain practical experience in the field.

3. Are there any scholarship opportunities available for international students studying physics in Italy?

Yes, there are scholarship opportunities available for international students studying physics in Italy. The University of Trieste offers a limited number of scholarships for top-performing students, and there are also government-sponsored scholarships available for students from certain countries. It is important to research and apply for these scholarships early on in the application process.

4. What other universities in Italy offer physics programs?

Aside from the University of Trieste, there are several other universities in Italy that offer physics programs. Some notable options include the University of Milan, University of Padua, and Sapienza University of Rome. Each university may have its own unique curriculum and research opportunities, so it is important to research and compare programs to find the best fit for your academic and career goals.

5. Are there any English-taught physics programs in Italy?

Yes, there are several English-taught physics programs available in Italy, including at the University of Trieste. Many universities in Italy offer a mix of courses taught in both Italian and English, so it is important to check the language requirements for each program. Additionally, some universities may offer language support or courses to help international students improve their Italian language skills while studying in Italy.