Relating the angular momentum with lapacian

In summary: I don't know how to simplify it further.In summary, the angular momentum operator \bold{L}=\bold{r}\times-i\hbar \bold{\nabla} can be used to calculate \bold{L}\cdot \bold{L}=(\bold{r}\times-i\hbar \bold{\nabla})\cdot(\bold{r}\times-i\hbar \bold{\nabla}) by transforming the laplacian to spherical polar coordinates. This can also be done using the method introduced by Feynman, which makes it shorter but still somewhat complicated. A mathematical derivation can be found in "Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, and Representations" by Brian
calculus_jy
The angular momentum operator is given by
[tex]\bold{L}=\bold{r}\times-i\hbar \bold{\nabla}[/tex]How do we compute
[tex]\bold{L}\cdot \bold{L}=(\bold{r}\times-i\hbar \bold{\nabla})\cdot(\bold{r}\times-i\hbar \bold{\nabla})[/tex]? so that we can get a relation of L^2 with the lapacian operator i found this in a lecture note and it gave this as the first line (i might have inserted the factors -ihbar wrong)
[tex]L^2=-\bold{r} \cdot(-i\hbar\bold{\nabla }\times (\bold{r} \times -i\hbar\bold{\nabla })[/tex] ? (is it correct and can you help me proof it)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did a bit of work and this is what i got,
can someone tell me if this is right and is there another way that will make this shorter!?
[tex] \bold{L}\cdot\bold{L}=-\hbar^{2}(\epsilon_{ijk}r_{j}\nabla_{k})(\epsilon_{ilm}r_{m}\nabla_{m})[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{L^{2}}{\hbar^{2}}=(\delta_{jl}\delta_{km}-\delta_{jm}\delta_{kl})r_{j}\nabla_{k}\, r_{l}\nabla_{m}[/tex]
[tex]\\=r_{j}\nabla_{k}r_{j}\,\nabla_{k}-r_{j}\nabla_{k}\,r_{k}\nabla_{j}[/tex]
[tex]\\=r_{j}\delta_{kj}\nabla_{k}+r_{j}r_{j}\nabla_{k}\nabla_{k}-(r_{j}\delta_{kk}\nabla_{j}+r_{j}r_{k}\nabla_{k}\nabla_{j})[/tex]
[tex]\\=-2r_{j}\nabla_{j}+r_{j}r_{j}\nabla_{k}\nabla_{k}-r_{j}r_{k}\nabla_{j}\nabla_{k}[/tex][tex]\\=-2r_{j}\nabla_{j}+r_{j}r_{j}\nabla_{k}\nabla_{k}-r_{j}(\nabla_{j}\,r_{k}-\delta_{ij})\nabla_{k}[/tex]
[tex]\\=-r_{j}\nabla_{j}+r_{j}r_{j}\nabla_{k}\nabla_{k}-r_{j}\nabla_{j}\,r_{k}\nabla_{k}[/tex]
[tex]\\=-\bold{r}\cdot\nabla+r^{2}\nabla^{2}-(\bold{r}\cdot\nabla)(\bold{r}\cdot\nabla) [/tex]

See Landau, Vol 3, 3rd edition, section 28 "eigenfunctions of the angular momentum". For a mathematical derivation, see "Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, and Representations" by Brian C Hall.

thank you so much. However i didnt find much in Landau, under which section will i find the mathematical derivation in your second reference by hall

I am sad that I don't have a copy of Hall, so I can't give you the reference. But I studied that book with the guidance of my mentor, and I remember the proof in there was really nice. The thing is, most people just transform the laplacian to spherical polar coordinates and wave their hands to say that's the angular momentum eigenfunctions. But in Hall, there is no hand waving, and in order to really appreciate the proof you kind of have to work through what comes before. You could do a lot worse than to study this book from the beginning. Lie groups/algebra's are the most important part of math for physics (they underlie the relationship between conservation laws and symmetry, as well as the fact that the lie algebra elements ARE the quantum particles) and this is far and away the best book on lie groups for beginners, imo. I skimmed through basically every lie group book in the math/physics libraries and this is the one I liked the most.

I got your answer by a different method, but I can't say my method is shorter.

We may use the method introduced by Feynman, that will make it shorter.

See Feynman Vol2, derivation of Poynting's Vector. There he describes a handy method to use the operator like a normal vector, and everythig else follows directly...

sancharsharma said:
We may use the method introduced by Feynman, that will make it shorter.

See Feynman Vol2, derivation of Poynting's Vector. There he describes a handy method to use the operator like a normal vector, and everythig else follows directly...
That was the method I used. It avoids all the indices, but is still a bit complicated.

1. What is angular momentum and how is it related to the Laplacian?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that represents the rotational motion of an object. The Laplacian is a mathematical operator used to describe the rate of change of a physical quantity. The link between angular momentum and the Laplacian is that the angular momentum of a rotating object can be determined by using the Laplacian operator on its rotational motion.

2. How does the Laplacian operator relate to the angular momentum equation?

The Laplacian operator is used in the angular momentum equation to determine the angular momentum of a rotating object. It is applied to the rotational motion of the object to calculate the angular acceleration, which is then used in the angular momentum equation to find the total angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of relating angular momentum with the Laplacian?

Relating angular momentum with the Laplacian allows us to mathematically describe the rotational motion of objects. It helps us understand how angular momentum is affected by external forces and how it can be conserved in a system. This relationship also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of rotating objects.

4. Can the Laplacian be used to calculate angular momentum in all types of rotational motion?

Yes, the Laplacian can be used to calculate angular momentum in all types of rotational motion, as long as the motion is described mathematically. This includes both uniform and non-uniform rotational motion, as well as rotational motion with changing axes.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the relationship between angular momentum and the Laplacian?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this relationship. For example, it is used in the study of celestial bodies such as planets and stars, in the design and analysis of rotating machinery, and in the development of new technologies such as gyroscopes and flywheels. Understanding this relationship also has implications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.