Creation of elements heavier than iron

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of heavier elements and how they are created through stellar fusion and supernovae. The participants also mention the concept of humans being made of stardust and the significance of this in astronomy.
doccojohn
Sorry if this question is too elementary (no pun intended) for this forum.

If stellar fusion of iron takes more energy than it produces, how are heaver elements formed?

Cheers,

JP

Physics news on Phys.org
In supernovae - if you have an entire star crashing in on your head you can afford a bit of extra energy for a non-equilibrium reaction

Thanks! That was my guess but my astrophysics knowledge is clearly rudimentary.

I'm doing volunteer work as a docent in the local planetarium, and I'd rather not be stumped by a 9th-grader's question.

I like to point out to kids that they are made of stardust. It tends to intrigue them.

Thanks again.

JP

Go for it - it's one of the coolest bits of astronomy!
Essentially all of the protons/neutrons in your body came from the big bang
All the carbon/nitrogen and light metals were made by early generations of stars, then swept up in the dust and gas that created the solar system - then most metals and everything bigger than iron came from a supernova.

So the gold in the kid's jewelry came from an exploding star !

What are elements heavier than iron?

Elements heavier than iron are those with atomic numbers greater than 26 on the periodic table. These include elements such as copper, silver, gold, uranium, and many others.

How are elements heavier than iron created?

Elements heavier than iron are primarily created through a process called nucleosynthesis, which occurs in the cores of stars. This process involves the fusion of lighter elements, such as hydrogen and helium, to form heavier elements.

Can elements heavier than iron be created on Earth?

Some elements heavier than iron can be artificially created on Earth through nuclear reactions in particle accelerators. However, the process is extremely energy-intensive and only small amounts of these elements can be produced in this way.

How long does it take for elements heavier than iron to form?

The process of nucleosynthesis can take millions of years to occur in the cores of stars. However, in extremely high-energy events such as supernovae explosions, heavier elements can be formed in a matter of seconds or minutes.

Why are elements heavier than iron rare compared to other elements?

Elements heavier than iron are rare because they require extremely high temperatures and pressures to be formed. These conditions are only found in the cores of stars or in high-energy events, making the creation of these elements a relatively rare occurrence.