Show for large x, Γ(x+1) = exp(-x)*x^(x+1/2)*√(2*pi)

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary: But (6) seems to be a dead end for me. I tried breaking it into two integrals, one running from -√x to 0 and another from 0 to ∞, the latter of which is the gaussian integral. However, the forst part is unintegrable. Another approach might be to look for a function that satisfies (6), and try to find a function that is a multiple of that function. Thanks :smile:
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I would like to figure out how my book came up with the relation "for large values of x":

[tex]\Gamma(x+1) = e^{-x}x^{x+\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{2\pi}\qquad(1)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of gamma function:

[tex]\Gamma(z) = \int_0^\infty t^{z-1}e^{-t}\,dt\qquad(2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

When I see that (1) has a multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex] in it, it makes me think of "something squared" in the exponent. I had initially thought of using a Taylor series expansion method. For example, it can be shown that (1) is also equivalent to

[tex]

\Gamma(x+1) = e^{-x}x^{x+1/2}\int_{-\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{-\sqrt{x}t}\left (1 +\frac{t}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^x\,dt \qquad(3)

[/tex]After some manipulation, (3) can be put in the form:

[tex]

\Gamma(x+1) = e^{-x}x^{x+1/2}\int_{-\sqrt{x}}^\infty \exp\left [-\sqrt{x}t + x\left (\frac{t}{\sqrt{x}} - \frac{t^2}{2x} + \frac{t^3}{3x^{3/2}} \dots \right )\right ] \qquad(4)[/tex]

or

[tex]\Gamma(x+1) = e^{-x}x^{x+1/2}\int_{-\sqrt{x}}^\infty \exp\left [-\sqrt{x}t + \left (\sqrt{x}t - \frac{t^2}{2} + \frac{t^3}{3x^{3/2}} \dots \right )\right ] \qquad(5)[/tex]

We can see from (5) that for large values of x, any terms with an x in the denominator can be neglected, hence

[tex]\Gamma(x+1) = e^{-x}x^{x+1/2}\int_{-\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{ - \frac{t^2}{2}} \qquad(6)
[/tex]But (6) seems to be a dead end for me. I tried breaking it into two integrals, one running from -√x to 0 and another from 0 to ∞, the latter of which is the gaussian integral. However, the forst part is unintegrable.

Any thoughts on another approach or a continuation of this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use

[tex]
\lim_{x-\rightarrow \infty} \int_{-\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{ - \frac{t^2}{2}}dt = \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{ - \frac{t^2}{2}}dt .
[/tex]

You could find the error terms by expanding in a series using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Hello again fzero :smile: I am not sure what the notation in your limit means (i.e. what does x- -->∞ mean) ? Also, why do i want to let x-->∞ ? Wouldn't that cause the e^(-x) --> 0 and hence it would render (1) equal to 0 ?

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
Hello again fzero :smile: I am not sure what the notation in your limit means (i.e. what does x- -->∞ mean) ? [/tex]

I meant x -->∞, the large x limit.

Also, why do i want to let x-->∞ ? Wouldn't that cause the e^(-x) --> 0 and hence it would render (1) equal to 0 ?

The idea of the calculation is that you evalute the integral in the large x limit by expanding in powers of [tex]x^{-1/2}[/tex], leaving the prefactors alone. Your expansion

[tex]
\int_{-\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{-\sqrt{x}t}\left (1 +\frac{t}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^x\,dt = \int_{-\sqrt{x}}^\infty \exp\left [-\sqrt{x}t + \left (\sqrt{x}t - \frac{t^2}{2} + \frac{t^3}{3x^{3/2}} \dots \right )\right ]
[/tex]

is incomplete because you haven't dealt with the x dependence of the integration limits. However, as [tex]a\rightarrow \infty[/tex], we have a Maclaurin expansion

[tex]\int_{-a}^\infty f(t) dt = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(t) dt + \lim_{a\rightarrow \infty} \frac{d}{d(1/a)} \int_{-a}^\infty f(t) dt + \cdots [/tex]

If we're only interested in the leading order term, then we only need to set the integration variable to [tex]-\infty[/tex]. If we want to compute subleading terms, then we need to be more careful.

1. What is the equation for Γ(x+1)?

The equation for Γ(x+1) is exp(-x)*x^(x+1/2)*√(2*pi). This is known as the Gamma function, which is a generalization of the factorial function for non-integer values of x.

2. How is the Gamma function related to factorials?

The Gamma function is closely related to factorials, as it extends the concept of factorial to non-integer values. In fact, for positive integer values of x, Γ(x+1) is equal to (x)!.

3. What does the x+1/2 term in the equation represent?

The x+1/2 term in the equation represents the shift in the real part of the complex argument for the Gamma function. It is included in the equation to ensure the function is well-defined for all real and complex numbers.

4. Why is the Gamma function important in mathematics and physics?

The Gamma function has many important applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in probability theory, number theory, and complex analysis. In physics, it is used to calculate probabilities in quantum mechanics and to solve problems in statistical mechanics.

5. How can the equation for Γ(x+1) be used in practical applications?

The equation for Γ(x+1) can be used in various practical applications, such as calculating probabilities in statistical analysis, solving problems in physics and engineering, and evaluating complex integrals in mathematics. It is also used in computer programming and data analysis.