Programming in mechanical engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the intersection of mechanical engineering and computer programming. The speaker, a second year mechanical engineering student with a degree in computer science, asks if there are opportunities for utilizing programming skills in the field of mechanical engineering. The responses mention areas such as machine design, robotics programming, and developing algorithms for solving engineering problems. They also mention the importance of efficient use of software, the existence of niche software development, and the potential for working on cutting-edge research projects.
etotheix
Hi,

I have a general question related to the mechanical engineering profession.

I am a second year mechanical engineering student and I also have a college degree in computer science, my skills are mainly C/C++ programming and networking/Linux environment (system administration).

I love both fields, basically what I want to know is : are there in mechanical engineering fields that require good programming knowledge? In other words, is it a good asset to have? Or is it more used in research projects?

I am not talking about using basic MATLAB functions, but maybe something along the lines of developing fast and effective algorithms to solve complex engineering problems.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Machine design and robotics programming. You would need basic logic skills to program things like Allen Bradley Mircologix PLCs (example). The more complex the machinery that needs to be automated, the more complex the PLC program.

Commercial structural analysis software is now a mature industry in itself. If you want to work "full time" on improving software to solve "mainstream" problems yuo probably need to be working for a company like MSC (Nastran), HKS (Abaqus), etc.

20 or 30 years ago that was not necessarily the case, and high tech companies sometimes wrote their own analysis software "from scratch" to do things that were beyond the state of the art of the commercial programs (been there, done that!) but that is pretty much dead now.

On the other hand there are always "niche market" problems that need to be solved that invove smaller scale software development, and (as the other answer said) there is embedded software. Even if you are mainly using Matlab, using it efficiently can make a huge difference to what you can achieve.

You might be better thinking about CFD rather than solid mechanics. CFD software is catching up with mechanical in terms of maturity and "idiot proof" handling of complex problems, but it's still 10 or 20 years behind mechanical analysis IMO.

Another option would be to go right to the leading/bleeding edge of so-called multiphysics problems, in a research environment rather than a "traditional" engineering company.

Thanks a lot for the answers! CFD looks very interesting I will defenitely try to learn more about it.

AlephZero said:
...20 or 30 years ago that was not necessarily the case, and high tech companies sometimes wrote their own analysis software "from scratch" to do things that were beyond the state of the art of the commercial programs (been there, done that!) but that is pretty much dead now...

We are still working with computer programs originally written (in Fortran) in the 1960s, though they have been modified from time to time since then. Engineers who can work with these old codes are worth their weight in gold.

Some of these have had user interfaces (in C++) grafted onto them.

1. What is programming in mechanical engineering?

Programming in mechanical engineering involves using computer programming languages to design, analyze, and simulate mechanical systems. It allows engineers to automate tasks and optimize designs, leading to more efficient and accurate results.

2. Which programming languages are commonly used in mechanical engineering?

The most commonly used programming languages in mechanical engineering are MATLAB, Python, and C++. These languages have powerful mathematical and scientific computing capabilities, making them ideal for tasks such as data analysis, simulation, and control systems design.

3. How does programming benefit mechanical engineering?

Programming allows mechanical engineers to automate repetitive tasks, analyze complex data, and simulate designs before physically building them. This results in faster and more accurate design iterations, leading to improved performance and reduced costs.

4. Do I need to have prior programming knowledge to excel in mechanical engineering?

While having prior programming knowledge can be helpful, it is not a requirement to excel in mechanical engineering. Many engineering programs include programming courses as part of their curriculum, and there are plenty of resources available for self-learning. It is important for engineers to have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills to be successful in programming.

5. How can I learn programming for mechanical engineering?

There are several ways to learn programming for mechanical engineering, including taking courses at a university or college, enrolling in online tutorials or workshops, and self-study. It is important to choose a programming language that is commonly used in mechanical engineering and to practice coding regularly to improve proficiency.