Need help to calculate misfit strain?

• Thread starter msPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strain
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the misfit strain on InP and InGaAs when InGaAs is grown on InP. The lattice constants for InP and InGaAs are given, and the lattice mismatch ratio is calculated to be -1.94%. It is noted that InGaAs is under tension and InP is under compression. The question is whether this lattice mismatch ratio can be directly used as the misfit strain, and the proposed solution is to take the absolute value of the lattice mismatch ratio to get the misfit strain values of +1.94% for InP and -1.94% for InGaAs.
msPhysics
Need help to calculate misfit strain?

Homework Statement

I would like to calculate the misfit strain on InP and InGaAs when InGaAs is grown on InP

Homework Equations

lattice constants for InP , a1= 5.8687 InGaAs a2=5.7455 ( with 25% In)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the lattice mismatch ratio as -1.94% , from lattice mismatch = (a2-a1)/a1

I understand that as lattice constant of InGaAs at this composition is smaller than InP InGaAs is under tension and InP is under compression.

I don't know how can I use the lattice mismatch to calculate these strains (compression on InP and tension on InGaAs)

I have read somewhere that misfit strain is just the lattice mismatch ratio with sign change. Is that true?

Physics news on Phys.org
If yes, then I can just take the lattice mismatch ratio and make it positive. So, the misfit strain on InP will be +1.94 % and on InGaAs -1.94%. Is this correct? I am really confused about how to calculate the misfit strains. Can anyone help me out with this?

1. What is misfit strain?

Misfit strain is a measure of the mismatch between the lattice parameters of two materials in a heterostructure. It indicates the degree of deformation or strain that occurs at the interface between two materials due to their different crystal structures.

2. Why is it important to calculate misfit strain?

Calculating misfit strain is important for understanding the structural and mechanical properties of heterostructures. It can affect the electronic, magnetic, and optical properties of the materials, as well as their stability and potential for device applications.

3. How is misfit strain calculated?

Misfit strain is typically calculated by measuring the lattice parameters of the two materials using techniques such as X-ray diffraction or transmission electron microscopy. The difference between the lattice parameters is then divided by the lattice parameter of the substrate material to obtain the misfit strain.

4. Can misfit strain be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, misfit strain can be controlled or adjusted by changing the thickness of the materials in a heterostructure or by using buffer layers to reduce the strain at the interface. This allows for the optimization of material properties for specific applications.

5. How does misfit strain affect the performance of electronic devices?

Misfit strain can significantly impact the performance of electronic devices by altering the band structure and carrier mobility of the materials. It can also lead to defects and dislocations, affecting the reliability and functionality of the device. Therefore, accurately calculating and controlling misfit strain is crucial for achieving high-performance electronic devices.