Large Scale Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the conversation discussed the uncertainty principle and its relationship to the change in momentum of a particle when observed. There was mention of a television show called Through the Wormhole which discussed the issue using protons and a chip assembly. The conversation also mentioned the concept of quantum tunneling and its relevance to the uncertainty principle. It was stated that the uncertainty principle has experimental support and the idea that the observing apparatus could impact the results has been disproven.
chrisdapos
Hi,

I was watching Through the Wormhole two weeks ago (I think it was a re-run), and they were talking about the uncertainty principle, and how it was impossible to prove due to the change in momentum of a particle when hit with an observation device, such as light. I think the guy was using protons, and it was some sort of chip assembly, with a main channel and a rudder going off to the side.

Does anybody know what I am referring to? Whoever worked on this, or the reference to which episode it was would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see it being incorrect. I believe it is the explanation for quantum tunneling, a very useful and important phenomena. I don't know if that counts as "proving" it or not.

chrisdapos said:
... they were talking about the uncertainty principle, and how it was impossible to prove due to the change in momentum of a particle when hit with an observation device, such as light...

The Uncertainty Principle has mounds of experimental support. The idea that there is some issue with the observing apparatus (i.e. imparting some change) has been soundly discredited.

see this large scale uncertainty

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Large Scale Uncertainty Principle?

The Large Scale Uncertainty Principle is a concept in physics that states that it is impossible to accurately measure both the position and momentum of an object at the same time. This principle was first proposed by Werner Heisenberg in 1927 and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

How does the Large Scale Uncertainty Principle differ from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applies to particles at a microscopic scale, while the Large Scale Uncertainty Principle applies to objects at a macroscopic scale. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle also applies to other pairs of complementary properties, such as energy and time, while the Large Scale Uncertainty Principle specifically deals with position and momentum.

What are the implications of the Large Scale Uncertainty Principle?

The Large Scale Uncertainty Principle suggests that there is a limit to how accurately we can measure the properties of an object at a large scale. This means that there will always be some level of uncertainty in our measurements, and we can never have a complete understanding of the behavior of macroscopic objects.

Can the Large Scale Uncertainty Principle be overcome?

No, the Large Scale Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and cannot be overcome. However, scientists have developed techniques and mathematical models to minimize the effects of uncertainty and make more accurate predictions about the behavior of large-scale objects.

How does the Large Scale Uncertainty Principle impact our daily lives?

The Large Scale Uncertainty Principle has little impact on our daily lives, as it primarily applies to objects at a macroscopic scale. However, it has important implications for technologies such as GPS and atomic clocks, which require precise measurements of large-scale objects to function accurately.