Reactions, Organic and Medical Substances

In summary, the conversation is about a student who has recently started studying at the Faculty of Medicine and is struggling with a chemistry lab report. They are asking for help with making reactions for various compounds, including aromatic primary amine, alcohol, ketone, tetracycline, ampicillin, and caffeine. They also mention not having prior knowledge about p-DAB HCl and ask for clarification on its functionality and potential reactions with amines.
wiraimperia
Hello again, sorry I had been idle for months. At that time I was relatively active in the Physics section. Thank God now I'm at the Fac. of Medicine, University of Sriwijaya. In the beginning of my college we had a Chemistry Lab Practice and are assigned to make the report, in which the reactions below I'm blind and could not find after an intensive search on Google. Is there anybody who can help me (and probably my colleagues too) in answering these reactions?

Homework Statement

Make the reactions for:
a. Aromatic Primary Amine + p-DAB HCl
b. Alcohol + Diazo A
c. Alcohol + Diazo B
d. Ketone (Fructose) + [KOH boiled + I2]
e. Ketone (Fructose) + Na Nitropruside
f. Ketone (Fructose) + Benedict's reagent
g. Ethyl Ethanoate + H2O

h. Tetracyclin HCl + H2SO4
i. Tetracyclin HCl + FeCl3
j. Ampicillin, oxydated
k. Luminal Natrium (Luminal Sodium) + Cobalt Nitrate
l. Codein HCl + [H2SO4 + Formaldehyde]
m. Isoniazide (INH) + p-DAB HCl
n. Antalgin (Naproxen) + FeCl3
o. Caffeine + [KClO3 + HCl, burn to dehydrate, cool it down and add NH3]
p. Ephedrin HCl + [NaOH + CuSO4]
q. Sulfadiazine + p-DAB HCl
r. Sulfadiazine + [Dip a piece of wood in HCl, let it dry, and then dip the wood into Sulfadiazine]

Homework Equations

No equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No prior knowledge

Physics news on Phys.org
a) for instance, what functionality does p-DAB HCl have? Do any of those react with amines?

1. What is the difference between organic and inorganic substances?

Organic substances are those that contain carbon and are typically found in living organisms. Inorganic substances do not contain carbon and are often derived from minerals or non-living sources.

2. What are some common reactions used in organic chemistry?

Some common reactions in organic chemistry include condensation, hydrolysis, oxidation, reduction, and substitution. These reactions involve the breaking and forming of chemical bonds in organic molecules.

3. How are organic compounds used in the medical field?

Organic compounds are used in the medical field for various purposes, including drug development, diagnostic tests, and as biomarkers for diseases. They can also be used as building blocks for synthetic materials such as prosthetics and tissue engineering.

4. Can organic compounds be harmful to humans?

Yes, some organic compounds can be harmful to humans, especially those that are toxic or carcinogenic. It is important to handle and use organic substances safely, following proper precautions and regulations.

5. How do scientists determine the structure of organic molecules?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, including spectroscopy, chromatography, and mass spectrometry, to determine the structure of organic molecules. These methods allow them to analyze the chemical and physical properties of a substance, providing information about its structure and composition.

Back