Calculating path length difference - help

In summary: They are not alpha and beta.In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the expression for the condition for constructive interference in a narrow parallel light beam incident upon a diffraction ruler with 600 lines per mm. The length of the path difference was determined by constructing two right-angled triangles, and it was noted that the angles were not necessarily alpha and beta.
Enthusiast94

Homework Statement

A narrow parallel light beam of wavelength 632.8 nm is incident upon a diffraction
ruler (i.e. the light reflects off of the grating rather than passing through it). The
ruler has 600 lines per mm.

Show that the expression for the condition for constructive interference is
m.lambda = d(cos(alpha) - cos(beta))

Homework Equations

m.lambda=d sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the right angle triangle has been formed and path difference (green part) = d.cos(alpha). So, how do I get (- d cos (beta)) in my equation. Also, is the path length I shaded correct?
(Diagram attached)

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Enthusiast94! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Enthusiast94 said:
So the right angle triangle has been formed and path difference (green part) = d.cos(alpha). So, how do I get (- d cos (beta)) in my equation

isn't there a path difference on both sides? :wink:
Also, is the path length I shaded correct?

Yes. :smile:

Enthusiast94 said:
Also, is the path length I shaded correct?
(Diagram attached)

It appears that you marked the angle between an incoming ray and an outgoing ray as perpendicular. Is that necessarily so?

tiny-tim said:
Hi Enthusiast94! Welcome to PF! :smile:

isn't there a path difference on both sides? :wink:

Yes. :smile:

TSny said:
It appears that you marked the angle between an incoming ray and an outgoing ray as perpendicular. Is that necessarily so?

Using the new diagram(attached), I've got r1 = dcos(alpha) and r2 = dsin(beta). So now, delta r = r1 - r2 = d(cos alpha - cos beta).

Does this make sense?

Attachments

• 20130212_204311.jpg
    20130212_204311.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 462
I would still question whether or not your triangle is a right triangle.

TSny said:
I would still question whether or not your triangle is a right triangle.

Could the given equation be derived w/o considering it as a right triangle? If so, please explain.

Enthusiast94 said:
Could the given equation be derived w/o considering it as a right triangle? If so, please explain.

No, but you need two right-angled triangles …

(the one triangle you've drawn can't be right-angled, can it? :wink:)

draw it carefully, and you'll see! :smile:

Enthusiast94 said:

Try another drawing where the angle in your triangle is not a right angle. Can you still find the path differences by constructing other triangles that are right triangles?

tiny-tim said:
No, but you need two right-angled triangles …

(the one triangle you've drawn can't be right-angled, can it? :wink:)

draw it carefully, and you'll see! :smile:

TSny said:
Try another drawing where the angle in your triangle is not a right angle. Can you still find the path differences by constructing other triangles that are right triangles?

How about this?
But, now the other two angles wouldn't be alpha/beta. :/

Attachments

• 20130212_210841.jpg
    20130212_210841.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 420
Enthusiast94 said:
How about this?

are you deliberately trying to confuse yourself? :redface:

the point of a diagram is to help you understand the situation

draw it again, and try to make the right-angles look like right-angles! :smile:

i'm not sure what you mean :confused:

tiny-tim said:
are you deliberately trying to confuse yourself? :redface:

the point of a diagram is to help you understand the situation

draw it again, and try to make the right-angles look like right-angles! :smile:
i'm not sure what you mean :confused:
What went wrong in the last diagram? Please be a bit more specific...

As you said, I'll need two right triangles, so I drew a perp from the point at which it strikes to the opposite ray.

Enthusiast94 said:
What went wrong in the last diagram?

those are obviously not right-angles!

you really are kidding yourself if you think that drawings like that will reliably steer you towards the right answers!

tiny-tim said:
those are obviously not right-angles!

you really are kidding yourself if you think that drawings like that will reliably steer you towards the right answers!

It's not about the drawing, it's about sending a message. : )

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Enthusiast94 said:
How about this?

I think you're getting closer. But as tiny-tim mentioned, your dotted lines were not drawn very carefully. Note how the angles that you marked as right angles look quite a bit larger than 90 degrees.
You should be able to use geometry to determine the magnitudes of the angles in your right triangles.

Last edited:

1. What is path length difference and why is it important in calculations?

Path length difference refers to the difference in distance traveled by two waves or particles. It is an important factor in calculations because it affects properties such as interference, diffraction, and refraction.

2. How do you calculate path length difference?

The formula for calculating path length difference depends on the specific situation. In general, it involves finding the difference in distance traveled by two waves or particles from their source to a specific point or surface of interest.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating path length difference?

Sure, for example, if two sound waves are emitted from the same source and travel through different mediums with different speeds, the path length difference can be calculated by finding the difference in the distance traveled by each wave. This can be useful in understanding the phenomenon of sound refraction.

4. How does path length difference affect the interference of waves?

In interference, path length difference determines whether waves will constructively or destructively interfere. When the path length difference is a multiple of the wavelength, constructive interference occurs, resulting in a stronger wave. When the path length difference is half a wavelength, destructive interference occurs, resulting in a weaker or canceled out wave.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding path length difference?

Understanding path length difference is important in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetic radiation. It is used in designing and optimizing devices such as lenses, microscopes, and antennas. It also plays a crucial role in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound and MRI scans.