How was Physics Forums created?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary, the founder of PF, Greg Bernhardt, only gains satisfaction from seeing the success and impact of the forum. The forum is supported by advertisements and donations and does not produce a significant profit. It began as an extra credit project and has gone through many transformations. The founder values the professionalism and helpfulness of the community and is proud to see high school students grow and learn from the forum. The founder also has a maintenance team to help with the forum and has made improvements to ensure its long-term success.
heman
Pf

i want to know very basic thing...

Whoever has made this Pf..What is he getting out of it and how??
what is the cost of Pf?

Physics news on Phys.org
The forums were started by Greg Bernhardt. To the best of my knowledge all he gets is lots of headaches about various software problems and the pleasure of watching his baby turn into one of the most respected physics fourms on the web.

Last edited:
and what about the money...i want to know how like other websites too earn as i am myself Enrolled in CSE dept. and i want to learn web designing too.

close this thread before Pf gets competition.

This site is supported by advertisements and donations. It produces little or no profit.

I get the biggest joy out of seeing a high school extra credit project made 4 years ago become the most respected and productive science community on the web. I have the highest amount of pride watching an incredible staff team day after day continue to raise the bar of exellence for PF. I am also so captivated by the fact of how many people are getting the help they need to better understand science, the world around them and as a side effect become better human beings.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I get the biggest joy out of seeing a high school extra credit project made 4 years ago become the most respected and productive science community on the web. I have the highest amount of pride watching an incredible staff team day after day continue to raise the bar of exellence for PF. I am also so captivated by the fact of how many people are getting the help they need to better understand science, the world around them and as a side effect become better human beings.

Nice words.

(I'm crying right now :cry: )

:rofl:

Well, Greg, it is the time you share with us all these million of dollars you have earned so far. The other day I saw you in Vanity Fair as one of the richest guys in the world. I promise, I'll find you everywhere you go with the money. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I get the biggest joy out of seeing a high school extra credit project made 4 years ago become the most respected and productive science community on the web.

:bugeye: Really? That's how this all started? As an extra credit project?! I'm amazed! I didn't know that part of PF's history.

I really appreciate the level of professionalism at this site, and I love that it brings together high school students with science professionals. One thing that keeps me here are the students. I just love to watch them come here, sometimes struggling at first, and grow and mature into budding young scientists. The way the homework help is handled to guide students into finding answers for themselves and truly learning a subject rather than just being handed answers is what makes this site quite unique and special.

For those of us who enjoy teaching, it's easy to see why Greg should feel so rewarded by the sense of accomplishment in creating this site. :smile:

Yeah,we've a got a cheeerful & smart community here.I'm glad to have been part of it.I'll take a break.Hope to find you guys healthy & in great shape again,when i come back.

Daniel.

P.S.Wonderful job,Greg...:approve: :smile:

I wish u all the very best...

Moonbear said:
:bugeye: Really? That's how this all started? As an extra credit project?! I'm amazed! I didn't know that part of PF's history.

Well yeah kinda, actually I knew I wanted to make a physics community, but being the business man I am, I negociated my way into getting extra credit for it in my physics class and I just kept running with the community idea. I think within the first week of opening phobos and monique signed up. Just ask them and they'll tell you what you see now is not what it was, PF has gone through many many transformations and I think finally we found a system that works. I remember way back I even had some crackpots (I didn't know any better) as mods, haha oh well, I learned quickly.

Moonbear said:
:bugeye: I just love to watch them come here, sometimes struggling at first, and grow and mature into budding young scientists. :smile:

i liked this statement most...Really i love you for it

Greg Bernhardt said:
Well yeah kinda, actually I knew I wanted to make a physics community, but being the business man I am, I negociated my way into getting extra credit for it in my physics class and I just kept running with the community idea. I think within the first week of opening phobos and monique signed up. Just ask them and they'll tell you what you see now is not what it was, PF has gone through many many transformations and I think finally we found a system that works. I remember way back I even had some crackpots (I didn't know any better) as mods, haha oh well, I learned quickly.

Do you have a maintenance team Greg or do you maintain the forum software by yourself? How much software did you reuse?

Ok that's it what should I do to create such a forum ?

ramollari said:
Do you have a maintenance team Greg or do you maintain the forum software by yourself? How much software did you reuse?

I maintained everything up until about this past summer (I think) when chroot was promoted to admin. I couldn't do it all anymore and chroot has really been a life saver. PF has been through 2 wipes because of poor hosting and software choices. A couple years ago I finally got smart and went for professional software and hosting. Now we are set for a lifetime.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think within the first week of opening phobos and monique signed up.

I should have bought stock then.

Phobos said:
no kidding :rolleyes:

Mass Moderation, its already a reality, who r u gona blame now for suppressing posts

Phobos said:
Dont worry I will soon launch PF2.0 with no moderators. There will be mass moderation. something similar but much more advanced that this
http://slashdot.org/moderation.shtml
that is going to cause quite a mass wipeout of all the forums on internet because it won't be limited only to physics or science.

It is a privilege to be associated with the people here who donate their time and struggle to advance the cause of knowledge. I have learned many things from all of you and it has made me a better person, I think. I believe we have collectively advanced the search for truth, and shared the joy of discovery. Sometimes we engage in trivial disagreements, but never have so many joined together to fight the good fight... OK, so I'm a closet optimist, throw shoes at me.

It's a place where newbies become better scientists, and experienced scientists eat up their time. But it is real fun for everyone! Very few forums offer such a community.

RoboSapien said:
Dont worry I will soon launch PF2.0 with no moderators. There will be mass moderation. something similar but much more advanced that this
http://slashdot.org/moderation.shtml
that is going to cause quite a mass wipeout of all the forums on internet because it won't be limited only to physics or science.
Actually, this is 2.0 (iirc), but in any case, that mass moderation is an interesting theory. Someone should do sociological research on it...

This wouldn't work in GD. :tongue:

Stay on topic:
Off topic posts are slapped quickly and consistently with "-1" by moderators.

Be original:
Avoid being redundant and just repeating what has already been said. (Did I really just say that?) Yes, being moderated as "redundant" is worth "-1" to your post and your karma. Especially to be avoided are the "what he said" and "me too" posts.

Evo said:
Be original:
Avoid being redundant and just repeating what has already been said. (Did I really just say that?) Yes, being moderated as "redundant" is worth "-1" to your post and your karma. Especially to be avoided are the "what he said" and "me too" posts.
I believe there are several times when it's necessary to second someone's input - especially if a question has several different responses, all but one wrong.

Gokul43201 said:
I believe there are several times when it's necessary to second someone's input - especially if a question has several different responses, all but one wrong.
I agree, that rule is a bit ridiculous, they're saying no one should post that they are in agreement?

russ_watters said:
Actually, this is 2.0 (iirc),

This is in fact PF v3.0.

Gokul43201 said:

I second that! Oh, wait, Evo already seconded that...I third that! :tongue2:

-1 for me! Or is that -2 for seconding both Gokul and Evo? :rofl:

I think it's one of those things that sounds better in theory than it would turn out in practice.

Girls, go figure. Yesterday they joined the convent, today they are liberated... and they say men are complicated...

russ_watters said:
Actually, this is 2.0 (iirc), but in any case, that mass moderation is an interesting theory. Someone should do sociological research on it...

Thanks, I was just joking.

I was a bit off topic but wanted to spread awarness to people like EVO about mass moderation but please :cry: Dont give me a minus 1.

By the way, what was the the first message ever posted in physicsforums (I guess one by Greg), and what was the first question ever posted in physicsforum?

Who were the first 100 forum members? And how many members do we have right now?

So, I think a board devoted to the history of physics and her players might be great to have.

There might not be too much discussion there .. but it might be a fascinating read.

Hmmm .. that's the problem with only leavings links in the body of a response, and nothing more. A person reading them can never tell for sure who they were ment for, and in response to what post.

Edgardo said:
And how many members do we have right now?

Regarding your last question, look at the home page. A number of 18,000 and something is given.

Edgardo said:
Who were the first 100 forum members?

Those who have the earliest join dates are obviously the first members. True, Greg has to make some statistics to show to us.

PF members, sorted by join date:

https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php?&order=ASC&sort=joindate&pp=30&ltr=#

Notice that many of the first membes were people who jumped immediately from the previous version of PF.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
chroot said:
Notice that many of the first membes were people who jumped immediately from the previous version of PF.

Not just that, but the Mentors from the time were allowed over first to come over and start playing before everyone else. :cool:

<h2>1. How did the idea for Physics Forums come about?</h2><p>The idea for Physics Forums was first conceived in 2001 by a group of physics enthusiasts who wanted to create a platform for open discussion and collaboration among scientists, students, and educators.</p><h2>2. Who were the founders of Physics Forums?</h2><p>The founders of Physics Forums were Greg Bernhardt, a physicist and software engineer, and his brother, Matt Bernhardt, a computer programmer. They were joined by other physicists and educators who helped shape and grow the website into what it is today.</p><h2>3. What is the purpose of Physics Forums?</h2><p>The purpose of Physics Forums is to provide a space for individuals interested in physics to come together and discuss various topics, ask and answer questions, and share knowledge and resources. It also serves as a valuable resource for students and educators to learn and teach physics concepts.</p><h2>4. How has Physics Forums evolved over the years?</h2><p>Since its creation in 2001, Physics Forums has grown significantly in terms of membership, content, and features. It now has over 1 million registered users and a vast archive of discussions and resources on various physics topics. It has also expanded to include sister websites for other fields of science, such as Math Forums and Engineering Forums.</p><h2>5. How can I contribute to Physics Forums?</h2><p>Anyone can contribute to Physics Forums by registering for a free account and participating in discussions, asking and answering questions, and sharing resources. Users can also support the website by donating or becoming a site supporter, which gives access to additional features and benefits.</p>

1. How did the idea for Physics Forums come about?

The idea for Physics Forums was first conceived in 2001 by a group of physics enthusiasts who wanted to create a platform for open discussion and collaboration among scientists, students, and educators.

2. Who were the founders of Physics Forums?

The founders of Physics Forums were Greg Bernhardt, a physicist and software engineer, and his brother, Matt Bernhardt, a computer programmer. They were joined by other physicists and educators who helped shape and grow the website into what it is today.

3. What is the purpose of Physics Forums?

The purpose of Physics Forums is to provide a space for individuals interested in physics to come together and discuss various topics, ask and answer questions, and share knowledge and resources. It also serves as a valuable resource for students and educators to learn and teach physics concepts.

4. How has Physics Forums evolved over the years?

Since its creation in 2001, Physics Forums has grown significantly in terms of membership, content, and features. It now has over 1 million registered users and a vast archive of discussions and resources on various physics topics. It has also expanded to include sister websites for other fields of science, such as Math Forums and Engineering Forums.

5. How can I contribute to Physics Forums?

Anyone can contribute to Physics Forums by registering for a free account and participating in discussions, asking and answering questions, and sharing resources. Users can also support the website by donating or becoming a site supporter, which gives access to additional features and benefits.