How to Calculate the Factorial of Avogadro Number?

• Thread starter ananthu017
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorial
In summary, we discussed how to find the factorial of Avogadro's number and its value. Due to its large size, Stirling's approximation can be used to estimate it. The number of base 10 digits is greater than 6.02x10^23, making it impossible to calculate exactly. Some individuals use this number in their own coding projects and use Stirling's approximation to find the desired accuracy.
ananthu017
can anyone explain to me how to find the factorial of avogadro number ? what is its value ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's such a large number that you might be able to justify using Stirling's approximation.

Google for Stirling's approximation.

It's Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

I can tell you that the number of base 10 digits is > 6.02x10^23. You can't calculate this. Recently I have been coding my own big number c++ library. I often test it on 1,000,000!. It takes 5 minutes, and produces somewhere around 5 million digits. I doubt you are asked to calculate the exact value of 6.02E23!. If you want an approximation use Stirling approx. I use it in my e-calculator to find how many terms I need to sum to get the the desired accuracy.

ln(n!) = n(ln(n) - 1) Note this is only a good approximation.
This therefore means that n! = en(ln(n) - 1)) (approximately)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/ gives
10^(10^(10^1.400640864781007))

assumes usual metric value of
6.022141×10^23 mol^(-1) (reciprocal moles)

Last edited:

1. What is the factorial of Avogadro's number?

The factorial of Avogadro's number is the product of all positive integers from 1 to Avogadro's number. It is represented by the symbol N!. Avogadro's number, also known as the Avogadro constant, is approximately equal to 6.022 x 10^23.

2. Why is the factorial of Avogadro's number important?

The factorial of Avogadro's number is important in chemistry and physics as it represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. This is a fundamental concept in understanding the properties and behavior of matter.

3. How is the factorial of Avogadro's number calculated?

The factorial of Avogadro's number is calculated by multiplying all the integers from 1 to Avogadro's number. This can be done using a calculator or by using the following formula: N! = 1 x 2 x 3 x ... x (N-1) x N.

4. What is the significance of the factorial of Avogadro's number?

The significance of the factorial of Avogadro's number lies in its application to various scientific calculations and theories. It helps in understanding the concept of molar mass, the ideal gas law, and the mole concept in chemistry. In physics, it is used in calculations related to quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

5. Can the factorial of Avogadro's number be approximated?

Yes, the factorial of Avogadro's number can be approximated using Stirling's approximation, which states that N! is approximately equal to (N/e)^N, where e is the mathematical constant 2.71828. This approximation is useful when dealing with large numbers such as Avogadro's number.