How long does tans and sunburns last?

• Thread starter ConcealedDreamer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of tans and sunburns and how long they last. The speaker mentions getting 5 shades darker and asks when their skin will go back to its normal color. Another person shares their experience with tan lines lasting a year and jokes about the other person's secret of eternal youth. The conversation ends with a request for pictures.
ConcealedDreamer
How long does tans and sunburns last? I went out today and got 5 shades more darker! When will itgo back to my normal skin color?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahhhhhh there's nothing quite like scorching your skin such that it changes colour. I guess it's a bit like throwing seven chickens, two pigs, and half a cow on the barbeque...

brewnog said:
Ahhhhhh there's nothing quite like scorching your skin such that it changes colour. I guess it's a bit like throwing seven chickens, two pigs, and half a cow on the barbeque...
<snort>

:rofl:

<snort>

Sorry ConcealedDreamer, I've had tan lines that lasted until the following year, and were still pretty distinct.

Evo said:
Sorry ConcealedDreamer, I've had tan lines that lasted until the following year, and were still pretty distinct.
I thought you said the secret of your eternal youth was that you had never been outside while the sun was out.

Evo said:
I've had tan lines that lasted until the following year, and were still pretty distinct.
Pictures, please. :tongue2:

1. How long does a tan last?

The duration of a tan can vary depending on factors such as skin type, intensity of sun exposure, and skincare routine. Generally, a tan can last anywhere from 2 weeks to a month.

2. How long does a sunburn last?

The duration of a sunburn can vary depending on the severity of the burn. Mild sunburns can last a few days to a week, while more severe burns can take up to two weeks to heal.

3. What is the difference between a tan and a sunburn?

A tan is the result of the skin producing more melanin in response to UV exposure, while a sunburn is the result of overexposure to UV rays, causing damage to the skin cells.

4. How can I make a tan or sunburn last longer?

To make a tan last longer, it is important to moisturize regularly and avoid excessive exfoliation. To make a sunburn last longer, it is recommended to properly care for the burn with aloe vera or other soothing products and avoid further sun exposure.

5. Can tanning lotions or sunscreen affect the duration of a tan or sunburn?

Yes, using tanning lotions or sunscreen can affect the duration of a tan or sunburn. Tanning lotions can help to prolong a tan by increasing melanin production, while sunscreen can help to prevent sunburns and therefore shorten their duration.