Einstein's Tongue: Quote Behind His Famous Expression

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the picture of Einstein with his tongue sticking out was taken for a comedic purpose, and the quote "He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt." is a signature line of his.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have got this huge poster hanging above my desk for many years now, and I have wondered for all those years why he is sticking out his tongue??

In the subcript it says:
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice. This disgrace to civilisation should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.
At what occasion did he make this comment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe he was just showing his disgust by sticking out his tounge.

I don't know when he said it, but it could have been after they used his bomb.

Last edited:
For those who don't know the poster, you can view one here:

http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/EinsteinTonguePoster.cfm

I don't think he is showing disgust, he seems to be in a good mood..

I've seen the image of which you speak, and I'm fairly sure he was just goofing for the camera. I'm also pretty sure the quote and the photo are not directly related. Someone probably just thougth that the picture of him making a silly face was a good visual to go with that statement about being different and doing unconventional things.

I find it funny that you can't find a single bad picture of Einstein. In everyone of them he looks like he is either deeply contemplating the mysteries of the universe or not having any concern about anything.

Last edited:
Originally posted by LURCH
I've seen the image of which you speak, and I'm fairly sure he was just goofing for the camera. I'm also pretty sure the quote and the photo are not directly related. Someone probably just thougth that the picture of him making a silly face was a good visual to go with that statement about being different and doing unconventional things.
Yes, goofing for the camera, but how many physicists are known to pose like that?? So the origin of the photo and quote are unknown?

I have also always wondered what that black band is across his shoulder?? Maybe just his scarf..

The photo was taken in 1951, in the day that Einstein celebrated his 72 birthday. It seems that many people were asking him to smile to the camera that day, so he ended a bit weary and that is why he showed his tongue
http://www.mentalfloss.com/archives/archive2003-03-14.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Monique
I have got this huge poster hanging above my desk for many years now, and I have wondered for all those years why he is sticking out his tongue??

In the subcript it says:
At what occasion did he make this comment?

Mentat may know something about this quote. I believe the first two lines of it are his signature. I always thought the picture was a computer-generated type - you know, not real... Not sure, though. Can't *imagine* Einstein doing this, but physicists are a strange group...:smile:

Originally posted by Tsunami
Mentat may know something about this quote. I believe the first two lines of it are his signature. I always thought the picture was a computer-generated type - you know, not real... Not sure, though. Can't *imagine* Einstein doing this, but physicists are a strange group...:smile:
Well, there's a theory, called PT theory, which asserts that all physicists have tongues. This theory, of course, cannot be proven -- only supported by a preponderance of evidence. So far, no physicists in violation of PT theory have been found. Many physicists thus feel that PT theory should be more rightly considered a scientific law. However, we may have to wait until the next generation of technology to be able to explore the implications of PT theory's successor, the wildly-speculative PL theory.

- Warren

Last edited:

Originally posted by chroot
Well, there's a theory, called PT theory, which asserts that all physicists have tongues. This theory, of course, cannot be proven -- only supported by a preponderance of evidence. So far, no physicists in violation of PT theory have been found. Many physicists thus feel that PT theory should be more rightly considered a scientific law. However, we may have to wait until the next generation of technology to be able to explore the implications of PT theory's successor, the wildly-speculative PL theory.

- Warren
I repeat...physicists are a *strange* group...:smile:

Originally posted by meteor
The photo was taken in 1951, in the day that Einstein celebrated his 72 birthday. It seems that many people were asking him to smile to the camera that day, so he ended a bit weary and that is why he showed his tongue
http://www.mentalfloss.com/archives/archive2003-03-14.htm
Ah! Great Meteor!

And very funny Chroot :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Einstein was always surprised and annoyed at being famous among the general public who had no idea what his theories were. Once, when checking into a hotel after having walked through a bunch of press photographers snapping his picture, the clerk behind the desk pointed out he'd neglected to fill in the line on the register where it asked for his profession. He looked at the clerk and said "I'm a model."

I'm just about positive the picture of him sticking his tongue out was his way of poking fun at the photographers who just wanted his picture because he was famous. I'm also sure the quote is from a completely different occasion.

Obviously the quote is from a different occasion, it surely was from before '51.

Hey Chroot, how much of the missing dark matter would be accounted for by PL theory?

1. What does Einstein's famous expression "I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university" mean?

This quote means that Einstein treated everyone with the same level of respect and importance, regardless of their social status or occupation.

2. What was the context behind Einstein's tongue sticking out in the iconic photo?

The photo was taken on Einstein's 72nd birthday, and he was being bombarded by photographers trying to capture his image. In an attempt to make a silly face and mock the attention, he stuck out his tongue.

3. Is there any deeper meaning behind Einstein's tongue expression?

Some have interpreted the expression as a symbol of Einstein's playfulness and willingness to defy societal norms and expectations. Others see it as a way to disarm his critics and detractors.

4. Why is Einstein's tongue expression so well-known and iconic?

The photo of Einstein with his tongue out has become a symbol of his brilliance, quirkiness, and rebelliousness. It has been widely used in popular culture and has become a recognizable image of the famous scientist.

5. Did Einstein ever explain the meaning behind his tongue expression?

There is no record of Einstein explicitly explaining the meaning behind his tongue expression. However, it is believed that he saw it as a way to show his humorous side and not take himself too seriously.

Back