Why does shower curtain flutter inward?

• Thread starter r3dxP
  • Start date
In summary, the reason why shower curtains tend to flutter inward during a shower is due to the convection of air inside the shower, which creates a pressure difference that pushes the curtain inward. This is because the adhesive forces between the curtain, water molecules, and shower tub are greater than the adhesive forces between the water molecules.
r3dxP
why does the shower curtain(in most showers) tend to flutter inward during a shower?

well, i know its not due to water temperature because convection due to hot and cold air is not the primary answer.. so.. i think its because the adhesive forces between the [curtain - water molecule - shower tub] is greater than that of adhesive forces in the water molecules, thus, curtain tends to flutter inward to the shower tub.
please correct me if I am wrong. thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
You had the right word - convection! Air inside the shower can move fairly rapidly (accelerated by the stream of water droplets) which lowers the pressure by Bernoulli's Principle. The pressure difference pushes the curtain inward.

You are correct in your understanding that adhesive forces play a role in the shower curtain fluttering inward. However, it is not just the adhesive forces between the curtain, water molecules, and shower tub that are at play. It is also the Bernoulli principle, which states that as the water flows past the curtain, it creates a lower pressure area behind the curtain. This lower pressure pulls the curtain inward, causing it to flutter. Additionally, the airflow created by the hot water in the shower can also contribute to the fluttering motion. Overall, the combination of these factors leads to the curtain fluttering inward during a shower.

1. Why does my shower curtain keep fluttering inward?

There are a few possible explanations for this phenomenon. One possibility is that the water droplets from the shower create a low pressure area behind the shower curtain, causing it to be pulled inward. Another possibility is that the warm air from the shower rises, creating a draft that pulls the curtain inward.

2. How can I prevent my shower curtain from fluttering inward?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent your shower curtain from fluttering inward. One option is to use a weighted shower curtain or a magnetized shower curtain, which can help keep it in place. You can also try adjusting the water flow or temperature to reduce the draft created by the warm air from the shower.

3. Does the type of shower curtain or liner affect the fluttering?

Yes, the type and material of your shower curtain or liner can affect its tendency to flutter inward. Thicker, heavier materials are less likely to flutter, while lightweight materials like plastic or vinyl may be more prone to it. Fabric shower curtains tend to flutter less than plastic ones.

4. Is the fluttering of a shower curtain a sign of poor ventilation?

Not necessarily. While poor ventilation can contribute to the fluttering of a shower curtain, it is not always the main cause. Other factors, such as the shape and size of the shower space, can also play a role in creating a draft that pulls the curtain inward.

5. Can the fluttering of a shower curtain cause damage?

In most cases, the fluttering of a shower curtain is harmless and does not cause any damage. However, if the curtain is repeatedly pulled in and out, it could cause wear and tear on the curtain rings or rod over time. It is also possible for the curtain to get stuck in the drain or toilet, so it is important to address the fluttering to prevent any potential accidents.