Determine acceleration/tension of masses

• Thread starter L²Cc
  • Start date
In summary: Then you have two equations, one for each block: for m2, F2= m2 g - T... and for m1 F1= T.Then you have 2 equations and two unknowns, the 2 T's. From here I think you can solve the problem.
L²Cc

Homework Statement

A mass, [tex]m_1[/tex]=5 kg, resting on a frictionless horizontal table is connected to a cable that passes over a pulley and then is fastened to a hanging mass, [tex]m_2[/tex]=10 kg. Find the acceleration of each mass and the tension in the cable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For mass 1:
Sum of x = F=[tex]m_1[/tex]a where F= Forward Force
Sum of y= n - [tex]m_1[/tex]g=0 where g=9.8 m/s²
How can I determine the acceleration using the data for mass 1?

For mass 2:
Sum of Y = [tex]T_2[/tex]-[tex]m_2[/tex]g where T= tension
Hence, [tex]T_2[/tex]= 10 kg(9.8+a)
Then, what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok let's hope I have got the picture correct. I have got things wrong twice already this week when answering questions...

firstly, no friction... greatly simplify the problem. so only one force on mass 1 that would actually cause movement/acceleration

assuming the cable is massless/non-stretch-able etc... also a perfect pulley of course... then you must have
Tension on m1 equal Tension caused by m2.. so only one T.
T is of course equal to something times g (what is that something eh?)

ok.. forgot to read the question.. ok you want to answer acceleration for each mass

for m2 ... easy
for m1 ... use relation from the only one T you have
for T ... once you know acceleration on m2 or m1... easy

mjsd said:
for m2 ... easy
for m1 ... use relation from the only one T you have
for T ... once you know acceleration on m2 or m1... easy

are my expressions correct?

If I have got your picture correct... then your expression
T_2 = 10(9.8+a)
is not quite right.

my picture (for cross-checking): gravity pulls m2, m2 pulls T, T pulls m1 and m1 accelerate...that's it

Acceleration is always the same for both blocks, and in most cases tension will also be the same (the only time tensions do not equal each other is when the pulley is massive and its rotation is taken into account)

Because there is no friction, the forces in the y for block 1 are of no concern. For your second equation, however, the best choice for positive is the direction of acceleration. Once the signs are straightened out, plug tension into the first equation and solve for a

I'm sorry I cannot put up the diagram, but I think you have the wrong picture. It's not the atwood machine, so the tension along the cord is not the same, since we are not dealing with one system where gravity is acting on it. Mass one moves due to the forward force, and mass two due to the gravitational force, and the normal force (which is the tension along the cord).

turdferguson said:
Acceleration is always the same for both blocks, and in most cases tension will also be the same (the only time tensions do not equal each other is when the pulley is massive and its rotation is taken into account)

Because there is no friction, the forces in the y for block 1 are of no concern. For your second equation, however, the best choice for positive is the direction of acceleration. Once the signs are straightened out, plug tension into the first equation and solve for a

L²Cc said:
I'm sorry I cannot put up the diagram, but I think you have the wrong picture. It's not the atwood machine, so the tension along the cord is not the same, since we are not dealing with one system where gravity is acting on it. Mass one moves due to the forward force, and mass two due to the gravitational force, and the normal force (which is the tension along the cord).
The way the problem is worded, one would guess that the forward force you refer to is the tension force in the cable. Which, as pointed out, is the same as the tension force on the hanging mass. And the magnitude of the accelerations of both blocks must be the same. Solve the 2 applicable equations using free body diagrams and Newton 2.

The forward force IS the tension in the rope. Especially with no friction, the rope is the only thing accelerating m1

One way to think of it is that the 2 tensions are internal forces. Therefore, they must cancel out because nothing inside the system is moving (remember, the pulley isn't rotating). In this respect, the problem is like an atwood machine because the entire thing can be called a system which gravity acts on. If anything, its a simplified atwood machine because only one force accelerates m1

L²Cc said:

Firstly, I didn't see it as a atwood machine.

The total forward force for m1 can only come from the tension T, since there is no friction. For m2, there are two forces acting, T and gravity. My claim is that the two T's are the same because of all those assumptions I mentioned, non-stretchable, massless string, frictionles + massless pulley.etc. (think about it, you will notice that the two's T in your diagram actually points in towards/away from each other, and if they are not the same, there will be a net force, and something will happen to the string!)

Now total force on m1 is F1=m1 a... and you want to find this a.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a mass?

The acceleration of a mass is affected by its mass, the force acting on it, and any friction or resistance present. The greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration. The larger the mass, the smaller the acceleration.

4. How does tension affect acceleration?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is being pulled or stretched by a rope, cable, or similar object. It can affect acceleration by either adding to or subtracting from the total force acting on an object, which in turn affects its acceleration. For example, if an object is being pulled by a rope with a certain tension, the tension will add to the force accelerating the object.

5. How can the tension of masses be determined?

In order to determine the tension of masses, the forces acting on the masses must be considered. This can be done by using the equations F = ma and F = T - mg, where F is force, m is mass, a is acceleration, T is tension, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By solving these equations simultaneously, the tension can be calculated.