Pseudo random number algorithm

In summary, the algorithm being used is a Linear Congruential Generator (LCG) which takes three values and uses them to generate a 5-digit number as output.
billyJ
I'm trying to figure out this little problem. I'm trying to figure out which algorithm is being used.I know the set of numbers is being used to generate the 5 digit number. I believe a Pseudo random number generator algorithm is being used. I know the set of number are being used as the seed, not sure if a,b & c are treated as separate variables or they are concatenated. a,b &c are the input and the 5digit number is the output

a:347 b:851 c:0381 = 86013

a:347 b:547 c:5840 = 54552

a:347 b:258 c:8744 = 49785

a:347 b:852 c:1707 = 39888

Let me know if anyone has any Ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that the algorithm being used is a Linear Congruential Generator (LCG). It takes three values, referred to as 'a', 'b' and 'c', and produces a 5-digit number as output. The formula for the LCG is as follows: x = (ax+b) mod c. The output of the LCG is then the remainder when the result of the equation is divided by c. In the examples you provided, the algorithm is taking the three values of a, b, and c and using them to generate the 5-digit number.

1. What is a pseudo random number algorithm?

A pseudo random number algorithm is a mathematical formula or set of rules used to generate a sequence of numbers that appear to be random, but are actually determined by a starting value called a seed.

2. How does a pseudo random number algorithm differ from a truly random number generator?

A truly random number generator uses physical processes, such as atmospheric noise or radioactive decay, to generate random numbers. Pseudo random number algorithms, on the other hand, use mathematical equations to produce numbers that mimic randomness.

3. What are some common applications of pseudo random number algorithms?

Pseudo random number algorithms are commonly used in computer programming, cryptography, statistical simulations, and games to generate unpredictable and seemingly random results.

4. Can a pseudo random number algorithm be predicted or hacked?

While it is possible for someone to reverse engineer a pseudo random number algorithm and predict future numbers, it is extremely difficult and requires a deep understanding of the algorithm and its seed value. Most pseudo random number algorithms are designed to be secure and difficult to crack.

5. Are there different types of pseudo random number algorithms?

Yes, there are various types of pseudo random number algorithms, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Some common types include linear congruential generators, Mersenne Twister, and Blum Blum Shub.