What are the Best Calculators for Scientific Use and Programming?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the TI-89 is a more powerful calculator than the TI-83+, and is better suited for advanced math calculations. It is not allowed in some universities, however, because it can be used for cheating.
Euphoriet
I am looking into buying a new calculator.. and I want to see what some of you guys use ...

Please specify what you use it for and if you consider worth the money you spent, also provide the amount you spent. Thanks.
I am thinking a TI ... any suggestions?

Also is there any really good one that is software base to just install on your computer.. I currently have GraphCalc on here.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I use a TI-89. I like it because it has a long memory of entries (30 recent actions) and has an easy to use numeric solver.

Do you think it was worth the cash?

in what field if any do you specialize?

Ti89 is my next best thing besides my handy AK47

I have a TI-89 too. It's really not very expensive, so yeah, it's worth the money. As far as software for a PC, look into Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple.

- Warren

For a handy ti89... $150 retail, go to officedeopt online... use coupon code 44503032 and get $20 off and free shipping. :)

Somehow I got mine for $80 brand new... Some coupon stuff.

I got an abacus :frown:

Jimmy you are soooooo funny :biggrin:

DOes anyone else use an HP "RPN" calculator? They were all the rage in the 80s, and now I can't go back.

TI-89 is what I use as well.

I use a ti89, but I also have an hp 32sii which is RPN. The ti89 is capable of integrating, differentiating and solving second-order differential equations. The hp 32sii is a scientific calculator and the only programmable one I know of. It can do numerical integration and can solve equations.

I would recommend both calculators for engineers, physicists and other people that do high level math calculations daily.

I still use my trusty TI-83

Euphoriet said:
Do you think it was worth the cash?

Yes.

If I lost it, I'd buy another as soon as I was sure it was gone.

I have used it in every class I've had for the last 4 years.

in what field if any do you specialize?

Aerospace engineering.

I use a TI-83+, but I wish I had a TI-89.
My TI-83+ does basically anything I need. It can solve matricies, definite integrals (but gives very wrong answers when crossing over an asymtote), and derivatives. It can graph polar functions as well as single variable non-polar functions. For graphs, it can find the y value for a given x value, find where y = 0, find local minima and maxima, and intersection points. As for stats, it can plot stats, find the best fit line, and display the formula for the best fit line. For best fit line, it can base the formula as being quadratic, cubic, quartic, linear, natural logarithmic, exponential (a*b^x), power (a*x^b), logistic, or sinusoidal.
Overall, it's one hell of a good calculator.

Enigma, does your university really allow programmable calculators? The university around here doesn't allow for those because they can be used for cheating. Programmable calculators like the TI-89 can do indefinite integrations, derivatives, and make 3D graphs. Bring a TI-89 into a test at U of A and it might get taken away.

Last edited:
TI-83 Plus Silver Edition.

It has memory and its fast, but it doesn't have quite the capabilities of a TI-89. Being a student on a budget, I cannot afford to get another graphing calculator anytime soon.

I have Casio 800 something scientific for school. I really like it, but it can't graph. Put the buttons are put in very convenient postions so you can enter long things really quickly. I got it for about 12$.

I agree with Ebolamonk3y: I tried the AK47 and never looked back.
:biggrin:

Ok, I'm wondering, what does a TI-89 have that a TI-83+ doesn't have, besides extra memory?

http://www.quickmath.com/

I have a ti-83+ but I don't use it ever... Actually, I hardly ever use a calculator. All calculators are banned in my multivariable calc class.

Now if I could just get my TI-89 to put some of the functions that I made into the F# menus, then it'd be just about perfect for a calculator.

cookiemonster

Chrono said:
Ok, I'm wondering, what does a TI-89 have that a TI-83+ doesn't have, besides extra memory?

I'm not entirely sure, but I'll wager dollars to doughnuts that the TI-83+ does not have:

3D graphs, integration & differentiations, differential equations (and graphs), etc.

Plus symbolic manipulation and far more reasonable management of variables.

cookiemonster

I hear you can't use it for standardized test =-/.. the 89 that is.. which totally sucks.. =-(

I really believe.. that if you can get something done.. it doesn’t matter how you do it or with what.. but that you do =-/.. I mean.. in real life.. a professor won't be there to help you but.. at the same time.. he/she won't be there to take your calculator =-/

Euphoriet, you are allowed to use the ti89 on standarized tests like the SATs and AP exams.

Why does everyone like TI so much? Personally I think they're a pain to use. You should try one of those HPs that can switch between algebraic and RPN. One of the new ones that I've heard good about is the Hp49g+.
It can supposedly do anything but defrost frozen pizza.

that is very cool I did not know you could use it in such tests =-P

umm now what about that Hp49g+ calc or w/e... anyone else heard of it?

How would you compare it to the TI89.. its around the same price so I still don't know.. I think the TI's are just more widely used =-/

whats so much better about the programming from an 89 compare to the 83? I thought they were both the same in that aspect.

Last edited:
The 83 is an absolute monster to program with compared to the 89...

cookiemonster

meaning the 89 is easier to program so its really know for programming? =-/

1. What type of calculator do you use?

I use a scientific calculator that is specifically designed for complex calculations and mathematical functions.

2. Is there a specific brand of calculator that you prefer?

As a scientist, I believe in using reliable and accurate equipment, so I prefer to use well-known brands such as Texas Instruments or Casio.

3. Can you perform advanced calculations on your calculator?

Yes, my calculator has the capability to perform advanced mathematical functions such as trigonometry, logarithms, and statistics.

4. Do you use a physical calculator or a digital one?

I usually use a physical calculator for the ease of use and the convenience of having all the buttons readily available. However, I also have digital calculator apps on my computer and phone for quick calculations.

5. How often do you replace your calculator?

I regularly check and replace my calculator every few years to ensure it is functioning accurately and efficiently. It also depends on the frequency of use and any damage that may occur.