Some quesitons about Sun and Earh

• Thread starter cshum00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sun
In summary, the Earth is kept in orbit around the Sun by the force of gravity, which pulls the Earth towards the center of the Sun. There is no tangential force needed for circular orbits. The Earth's spin is a result of conservation of momentum, and no external force is required to maintain it. The concept of center of gravity plays a role in understanding orbits, as two bodies with equal mass will orbit around the center of gravity between them. This is seen in the relationship between the Sun and planets in our solar system.
cshum00
1) What keeps the Earth orbiting around the Sun?
I know that gravity gives the force of the Earth towards the center of the Sun but what about the tangential force? What gives the Earth the tangential force?

2) What force makes the Earth spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) There is no tangential force (assume the orbit to be circular), just the force of gravity. What makes you think there would be a tangential force? No such force is required for an object to orbit. Perhaps you should read up on Newton's cannon?

2) Similarly, there is no force. The Earth has always been spinning, and as a result of conservation of momentum, will continue spinning. You don't need a force to keep an object in a state of constant motion, which is Newton's 1st law.

Well i get the part about conservation of momentum now that make sense.

For the first question i guess i have to read about orbits. Is there any simple explanation of that? I can only image 2 bodies moving opposite x-directions but are located in different y-directions. And so when they cross paths, the gravity try to pull each other so gravity will play role of centrifugal force while their initial velocity will play roles of tangential velocity. But that is the case where the both masses are orbiting around empty space. How do i create the scenario for something orbiting around a mass?

There is only one scenario in what you just described...

cshum00 said:
Well i get the part about conservation of momentum now that make sense.

For the first question i guess i have to read about orbits. Is there any simple explanation of that? I can only image 2 bodies moving opposite x-directions but are located in different y-directions. And so when they cross paths, the gravity try to pull each other so gravity will play role of centrifugal force while their initial velocity will play roles of tangential velocity. But that is the case where the both masses are orbiting around empty space. How do i create the scenario for something orbiting around a mass?

Well, two bodies of equivalent mass will seem to orbit around space, but they're really orbiting around each other. The center of gravity of the combined bodies is exactly right between them (since they have equal mass).

As you begin to make one mass bigger, the center of mass moves towards it... until it's so huge that the center of mass (of the two bodies) is practically right in the center of the mass of the larger body.

An example of the last scenario (one extremely massive body and a not-somassive body) could be the Sun and any of the planets around it (say... Earth). So the center of gravity for both bodies (the Sun and the Earth) is right about where the center of gravity is for the Sun.

In reality, it's a little bit off from the Sun's center of gravity, so the sun does actually wobble a bit.

Now it makes sense. I forgot about adding the center of gravity situation. Thanks for clarifying everything for me.

1. How far is the Sun from Earth?

The average distance between the Sun and Earth is about 93 million miles, or 149.6 million kilometers.

2. What is the temperature on the surface of the Sun?

The surface temperature of the Sun is about 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit (5,500 degrees Celsius).

3. What is the diameter of the Sun?

The Sun's diameter is about 864,000 miles, which is more than 100 times the diameter of Earth.

4. How does the Sun produce energy?

The Sun produces energy through a process called nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms combine to form helium and release energy in the form of light and heat.

5. How long does it take for light from the Sun to reach Earth?

It takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds for light from the Sun to reach Earth, traveling at a speed of 186,282 miles per second.