Calculate the avg speed phyics help

In summary, the problem involves calculating the average speed of a crocodile that swims 190 meters at 6 m/s and then slows to 4 m/s for 340 meters. By using the formula v=d/t, the total distance of 530 meters and the total time of 116.66 seconds, the average speed is calculated to be 4.54 m/s.
deaninator
"Calculate the avg speed" phyics help

Homework Statement

A caiman swims 190 meters at a speed of 6 m/s. It then enters a stream and slows to 4 m/s for 340 meters. What is the average speed of the crocodile?
10 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

deaninator said:

Homework Statement

A caiman swims 190 meters at a speed of 6 m/s. It then enters a stream and slows to 4 m/s for 340 meters. What is the average speed of the crocodile?
10 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You have two distance and speed sets from which you can get times. Add the times and add the distances, now you have a new r = D/t.

AC130Nav said:
You have two distance and speed sets from which you can get times. Add the times and add the distances, now you have a new r = D/t.

I did that. I added 190m and 340m and I got 530m as the total distance. I did the v=d/t formula on both distances and i got the times as 85 s and 31.66 s. I then divided 530m.116.66 s and i got 4.54 m/s but that is incorrect.

deaninator said:
I did that. I added 190m and 340m and I got 530m as the total distance. I did the v=d/t formula on both distances and i got the times as 85 s and 31.66 s. I then divided 530m.116.66 s and i got 4.54 m/s but that is incorrect.

Your numbers appear correct.

Thanks, you were right all along!

What is the formula for calculating average speed in physics?

The formula for average speed is: Average Speed = Total Distance / Total Time.

Can you explain the concept of average speed in physics?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time it took to travel that distance. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving on average, regardless of any changes in speed during the journey.

What units are used to measure average speed in physics?

The units used to measure average speed in physics are distance units (such as meters, kilometers, or miles) divided by time units (such as seconds, minutes, or hours). Some common units used are meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph).

How is average speed different from instantaneous speed in physics?

Average speed is the overall speed of an object over a period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. Average speed takes into account any changes in speed during the journey, while instantaneous speed only looks at the speed at one specific point.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating average speed in physics?

The accuracy of calculating average speed can be affected by factors such as measurement errors, changes in speed during the journey, and the precision of the measuring instruments used. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance or friction can also impact the accuracy of the calculation.