What Are We Doing About The Next Big Geomagnetic Storm?

• Thread starter Nspyred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Storm
In summary: Power system protection is not computationally intensive, but it can be from CEM (Computer Aided Engineering) or control theory calculations.
Nspyred
Yo.

As many of you know, the solar sunspot cycle is scheduled to peak again around 2012-2013. With it will come geomagnetic storms that will once again stress our electrical infrastructure.

I was wondering: what sort of strategies do we have to mitigate against this threat? Do we just power down? Can we figure out how to add it to the grid? Do we just "take it"?

Is this just an electrical and aerospace engineering problem, or are there others thinking about this as well?

I have read about "hardening" electrical infrastructure against transients and EMI, but what exactly does this mean?

Thanks for any input.
PS I am a 1st year EE with interests in electric power and electromagnetics.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Power grids are mostly a problem for large systems far north. Canada and europe put a lot of money into improving grid systems since the 80s with cutt outs and surge protection.
I don't know about the US, since everything is owned by private companies it's unlikely a lot has been put into once in a generation events.

We rely a lot less on satelite communications than we did 10years ago - but a lot more on GPS. I'm guessing that the original customers of GPS would have specificed them to work in rare bad conditions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US grid went down a few times during the next storm. I live in the NE part of the US and the grid isn't exactly known for being robust or reliable (remember the blackout of 03?). I know I'll be stocking up on a few extra candles and cans of chef-boyardee.

2012-2013 ??

I think the cycle is running a bit late: My guess is nearer 2015-16...

IIRC, the first big problem is geomagnetic induced current, low-frequency AC that swamps the cores of the big distribution transformers. IIRC, a lot of new breakers etc have been fitted to prevent burn-outs.

The other issue is 'cascade failure'. As I see it, the networks just have to talk to each other a bit better, and be prepared to 'ring fence' outages rather than go down like dominoes...

Nik_2213 said:
2012-2013 ??

I think the cycle is running a bit late: My guess is nearer 2015-16...

Just in time for me to graduate...:wink:

Nik_2213 said:
IIRC, the first big problem is geomagnetic induced current, low-frequency AC that swamps the cores of the big distribution transformers. IIRC, a lot of new breakers etc have been fitted to prevent burn-outs.

The other issue is 'cascade failure'. As I see it, the networks just have to talk to each other a bit better, and be prepared to 'ring fence' outages rather than go down like dominoes...

I have read somewhere that power system protection is computationally intensive. Is this true? How so? Is it from CEM, or from control theory calculations?
I don't have the link. It doesn't matter anyway, the blogger did not say how it was computationally intensive, just that it was.

Oh, and thanks for the reply.
IIRC ("If I recall correctly")? That is a new one for me.

What is a geomagnetic storm and why is it a concern?

A geomagnetic storm is a disturbance in the Earth's magnetic field caused by solar activity. This can disrupt communication systems, damage satellites, and even impact power grids on the ground. It is a concern because it can have significant economic and societal impacts.

How often do geomagnetic storms occur?

Geomagnetic storms occur frequently, with a range of several per day to a couple per week. However, not all of these storms are large enough to cause major impacts on Earth.

What are scientists doing to predict and prepare for the next big geomagnetic storm?

Scientists use satellite data, ground-based observations, and computer models to monitor and predict geomagnetic storms. Agencies like NASA and NOAA also work with government and industry partners to develop strategies for mitigating the impact of these storms on technology and infrastructure.

What are the potential consequences of a large geomagnetic storm?

A large geomagnetic storm could disrupt communication and navigation systems, cause power outages, and damage satellites. This could have significant economic impacts and affect our daily lives.

Can we protect ourselves from geomagnetic storms?

There are some measures that can be taken to mitigate the effects of geomagnetic storms, such as shielding critical infrastructure and developing backup systems. However, it is not currently possible to completely protect against these events. The best course of action is to continue monitoring and researching these storms to better understand and prepare for them.