Should I Include Microsoft Word in My Resume Skills?

In summary: Summarize the content of the conversation above?In summary, the conversation is about a first time builder aiming for a lab monitor position and including skills in Mathematica, Maple, TeX, and Microsoft Word. Any advice is provided, including whether it is stupid to include Microsoft Word on one's resume. High school students should have resumes, and one should continually update and modify it according to academic achievement and experience. When leaving university, one doesn't include experience before university.
Right, you don't want to put in too much, but you do want your resume to stand out. I would change what you wrote to look more like this.

Relevant Experience

School librarian at XYZ High School, Sometown, XY for two years. Duties included cleaning up computers and shutting them down, etc.
[Note: Don't use etc. Resume readers won't know what "etc" means with regard to your duties. Explicitly list all the things that you regularly did as part of that job.
Also, when you cleaned up computers, did you just wipe them off with a cloth, or did you do something to clean up the hard drives? ]

[STRIKE]Additionally, I have helped (and still helping) students with Mathematics on forums. I am fairly competent with Maple, Mathematica, and TeX.[/STRIKE]
Member, XYZ forum and ABC forum since Jan 1, 20xx. [Note: Revise as appropriate.] Besides getting help for myself on these forums, I have helped other students with mathematics problems. I am fairly competent with Maple, Mathematica, and TeX.

Physics news on Phys.org
No I cleaned bookshelves and computer screens with a feather duster...

As for the forum part, would it be wise to include say Yahoo!...? Would they think I spent way too much time on the internet if I "have time to do math on the internet"

flyingpig said:
No I cleaned bookshelves and computer screens with a feather duster...
So just say that you cleaned bookshelves and computer screens. If there is anything else you did on a regular basis, include that, but don't put "etc".
flyingpig said:
As for the forum part, would it be wise to include say Yahoo!...? Would they think I spent way too much time on the internet if I "have time to do math on the internet"
I don't believe they would be thinking this. IMO it would be good to include these activities, as they are in line with some of what you would be doing in the job you're applying for. They provide some evidence of your ability to work with students, so this experience seems applicable to me.

Relevant Experience

School librarian at XYZ High School, Sometown, XY for two years. Duties included cleaning up computers and shutting them down, and cleaning bookshelves (god this is so boring to read and type out lol) and computer screens. (This is so boring and trivial, do you think they would even care?)

Member of Physics forum and Yahoo forum since Jan 1, 2009. Besides getting help for myself on these forums, I have helped other students with mathematics problems. I am fairly competent with Maple, Mathematica, and TeX.

Okay how about this now? Why do I feel like this looked even worst? Is the formatting really ugly? I am going to have to use WordPad if this does not work out.

Attachments

• copy of 1.pdf
    38.9 KB · Views: 243
Mark please come back

Depend on where you are applying, if that area has computer, then listing down MS office is not a bad idea. You want to make sure that you list down all your profound skills even if it's not job related.

Wouldn't my specialization kinda covered I know MS Word...?

Yeah I always wonder about that. Like if I put proficient experience in Linux, BASH, and command-line stuff, doesn't that imply that I know my way around Windows? Though I guess to some people who don't know about Linux, it doesn't mean squat. Maybe better to leave nothing to chance.

OKay how about this? New formatting too

Attachments

• copy of 1.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 205
flyingpig said:
OKay how about this? New formatting too
Looks pretty good.

Some comments:
No such word as "revelant" - the word is relevant. Spelling really counts in resumes, unless of course, the people reading them are illiterate.

I would lean toward more specificity in the forums you participate in, such as Physics Forums - correct title. You might include the URL, which is https://www.physicsforums.com. Same deal with the Yahoo! forum you participate in.

For the librarian job, it might be helpful to put your duties in a bullet list, like so:

Duties:
  • Cleaning computers, monitors, computer mice, keyboards, and bookshelves
  • Shutting down computers
  • Loading printer paper
  • Putting litter and unclaimed print jobs in the appropriate bins
  • Organizing chairs

Mark stay with me tonight lol

Hmm why isn't $\bullet$ showing?

Okay how about now? For some reason, bulleting it seem to make my duties not as much as writing it out lol

Attachments

• copy of 1.pdf
    45.4 KB · Views: 240
How about adding a section on academic qualifications? You could list any classes you've taken that might be pertinent to the job you're applying for.

Mark44 said:
How about adding a section on academic qualifications? You could list any classes you've taken that might be pertinent to the job you're applying for.

If I don't list any computer courses, I stand no chance. Would adding math courses only help? They aren't relevant (I spelled it right this time). I am taking a proof, analysis,

Mark do I need references in my resume?

flyingpig said:
Mark do I need references in my resume?
I don't think so.

Do you think it's good enough?! I am so nervous lol

DrummingAtom said:
Hey flyingpig, I just saw your resume on the other thread and I would change it up a lot differently.

Please don't take this the wrong way but your resume sounds like your old job was you vs. the equipment. Moved chairs, cleaned computers, etc. Surely, working in a library you had to communicate with someone, sometime. That's the skill that I would emphasize like crazy from that job. To me, that's the professional aspect of that job.

In that old position did you: Ever have to write emails? Help someone find books? Write up a schedule for events?

I would jog your memory of anything that has to do with communication from your old job and make it sound like you're just going to transfer your skills into this new position.

Yes I have helped others find books and checked out books, but isn't that too trivial for a librarian?

I would really appreciate it if I get responses ASAP today because I am planning to hand it in today.

If any fresher is applying for any post then it is expected that he/she has the overview about the technology for which the post. So,it is recommended to emphasize on your academic activities in your resume like projects that you have done,seminars attended by the applicant etc.

I wonder if the OP got the job or not...

<h2>1. Should I include Microsoft Word in my resume skills?</h2><p>Yes, it is important to include Microsoft Word in your resume skills as it is one of the most widely used software programs in the professional world. Many employers expect job candidates to have a basic understanding of Microsoft Word and its features.</p><h2>2. Is Microsoft Word considered a valuable skill in the job market?</h2><p>Yes, Microsoft Word is considered a valuable skill in the job market as it is used in various industries and job roles. It is an essential tool for creating and editing documents, making it a valuable skill for any job candidate.</p><h2>3. Can I assume that employers will know I have Microsoft Word skills without explicitly stating it on my resume?</h2><p>No, it is always best to explicitly state your Microsoft Word skills on your resume. This shows employers that you have the necessary skills and knowledge to use this software effectively in the workplace.</p><h2>4. How should I list Microsoft Word on my resume?</h2><p>You can list Microsoft Word as a skill under a "Technical Skills" or "Computer Skills" section on your resume. You can also mention it in your work experience section if you have used it extensively in previous job roles.</p><h2>5. Are there any specific Microsoft Word skills that employers look for?</h2><p>Yes, employers may look for specific Microsoft Word skills such as formatting, creating tables and charts, using templates, and collaborating with others on documents. It is important to highlight any relevant skills that you have in these areas on your resume.</p>

1. Should I include Microsoft Word in my resume skills?

Yes, it is important to include Microsoft Word in your resume skills as it is one of the most widely used software programs in the professional world. Many employers expect job candidates to have a basic understanding of Microsoft Word and its features.

2. Is Microsoft Word considered a valuable skill in the job market?

Yes, Microsoft Word is considered a valuable skill in the job market as it is used in various industries and job roles. It is an essential tool for creating and editing documents, making it a valuable skill for any job candidate.

3. Can I assume that employers will know I have Microsoft Word skills without explicitly stating it on my resume?

No, it is always best to explicitly state your Microsoft Word skills on your resume. This shows employers that you have the necessary skills and knowledge to use this software effectively in the workplace.

4. How should I list Microsoft Word on my resume?

You can list Microsoft Word as a skill under a "Technical Skills" or "Computer Skills" section on your resume. You can also mention it in your work experience section if you have used it extensively in previous job roles.

5. Are there any specific Microsoft Word skills that employers look for?

Yes, employers may look for specific Microsoft Word skills such as formatting, creating tables and charts, using templates, and collaborating with others on documents. It is important to highlight any relevant skills that you have in these areas on your resume.