Rotational Inertia: Front end of an airborn bike drops when brake is applied

In summary: You use the engine and rear wheel to adjust your pitch.In summary, the front end of a mountain bike or motocross bike drops when you brake the front brake in the air. This is because the loss of rotational inertia causes gravity to accelerate the front wheel more rapidly.
DMCockrell
So every mountain biker or motocross rider knows to never grab the front brake in the air. When you do the front end drops and can potentially ruin your day in a hurry. I figure that due to the loss of rotational inertia gravity accelerates the front wheel more rapidly, but I would like to see it described technically and mathematically... Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think gravity has any effect here.

The lighter the wheel, the lesser the effect, probably.

For sure... The lighter the wheel the lesser the effect, also the heavier the bike the lesser the effect.

DMCockrell said:
but I would like to see it described technically and mathematically... Any help?
With zero external torques the total angular momentum of the bike must stay constant. If you stop the wheel rotation relative to the bike, the wheel's angular momentum is distributed among wheel and bike. The wheel still rotates, just slower with the entire bike rotating along.

Ahh. Good point. That explains it thanks.

Cm'on... keep some common sense...
Angular momentum and energy of front wheel has no significance at all!

If you grab the front brake why in the air, you just stop the wheel immedaitely, and keep it blocked - as soon as you touch the ground you either flip, or fall into front wheel slip - what is not something bikers like :(

DMCockrell said:
For sure... The lighter the wheel the lesser the effect, also the heavier the bike the lesser the effect.

Funny, how you correctly named dependencies, but failed to see it is about angular momentum. I was sure you got it after reading a hint.

No the front end definitely drops, or the bike rotates rather... If you don't believe me go try it. I'll go with A.T. on this one

xts said:
Cm'on... keep some common sense...
Angular momentum and energy of front wheel has no significance at all!

If you grab the front brake why in the air, you just stop the wheel immedaitely, and keep it blocked - as soon as you touch the ground you either flip, or fall into front wheel slip - what is not something bikers like :(

Have you read original post? It is about changing position while in air, not about what happens when you touch the ground. My understanding is that the effect will be observed even if you grab the front brake and then release it long before landing.

I have no experience riding a bike like that, but if it is due to conservation of angular momentum, as I would also think it is, then braking the rear wheel "in-flight" should give the same effect everything else being equal. In addition, revving up the rear wheel should have the opposite effect and "pitch up" the bike. Are these effects something you would observe in practice?

Filip Larsen said:
Then braking the rear wheel "in-flight" should give the same effect everything else being equal. In addition, revving up the rear wheel should have the opposite effect and "pitch up" the bike. Are these effects something you would observe in practice?
Motorcross and supercross racers rev up or brake the rear wheel to control pitch during large jumps. The engine also has angular acceleration in the same direction as the rear wheel, but I don't know how much overall effect it has.

DMCockrell said:
So every mountain biker or motocross rider knows to never grab the front brake in the air. When you do the front end drops and can potentially ruin your day in a hurry. I figure that due to the loss of rotational inertia gravity accelerates the front wheel more rapidly, but I would like to see it described technically and mathematically... Any help?

On a MTB the wheels are too light to make much difference in pitch. On a dirtbike or MX bike, you routinely use the engine and rear wheel in the air to adjust your pitch. You tap your rear brake in the air to drop the front wheel a bit (conservation of angular momentum), and you rev the engine and rear wheel hard to raise the front wheel as needed.

You don't usually use the front wheel for adjusting your pitch because 1) it is lighter than your rear wheel and drive train, and 2) it is a little dorky to land with your front wheel not rotating.

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

2. What causes the front end of an airborne bike to drop when the brake is applied?

When the brake is applied, the friction between the brake pads and the wheel slows down the rotation of the wheel. This causes a torque to be applied to the bike, which causes the bike to rotate around its center of mass. As the front wheel slows down, the back wheel continues to rotate, causing the bike to rotate forward and the front end to drop.

3. How does rotational inertia affect the front end of an airborne bike?

The rotational inertia of the wheels and the bike frame determines how much torque is required to rotate the bike. A higher rotational inertia means more torque is needed to change the rotation of the bike, which can result in a more significant drop in the front end when the brake is applied.

4. Can the front end of an airborne bike dropping be prevented?

Yes, the front end of an airborne bike dropping can be prevented by adjusting the rider's position and weight distribution on the bike. By shifting their weight towards the back of the bike, the rider can counteract the torque caused by the braking and prevent the front end from dropping.

5. How can rotational inertia be calculated?

Rotational inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance between the axis of rotation and the mass. The moment of inertia can also be calculated using integration for more complex objects with varying mass distributions.