What is the Angular Acceleration for a Rotating Computer Disk Drive?

In summary, the angular acceleration for a rotating computer disk drive is the rate of change of the angular velocity of the drive. It is a measure of how quickly the disk drive is rotating, and is affected by factors such as the mass and shape of the drive, as well as the torque applied to it. Angular acceleration is important in understanding the performance of disk drives and in designing them for optimal speed and efficiency.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

A computer disk drive is turned on starting from rest and has constant angular acceleration.
If it took 0.690s for the drive to make its second complete revolution, how long did it take to make the first complete revolution?
What is the angular acceleration?

Homework Equations

w2 = w02+2[itex]\alpha[/itex]∅

∅=w0t+(0.5)[itex]\alpha[/itex]t2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to first find the angular acceleration, and from there I can find out how long it took to make the first complete revolution.

First revolution:
w0=0 t=? [itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\alpha[/itex] w=w ∅=2∏

Second revolution:
w0=w t=0.690s [itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\alpha[/itex] ∅=2∏

Second revolution:

2∏ = w0(0.690)+(0.5)[itex]\alpha[/itex](0.690)2
[itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\frac{2∏-w0(0.69)}{(0.5)(0.69)^2}[/itex]

First equation:
w2=w02+2[itex]\alpha[/itex](2∏)
([itex]\frac{2∏-w0(0.69)}{(0.5)(0.69)^2}[/itex])([itex]\frac{2∏-w0(0.69)}{(0.5)(0.69)^2}[/itex])=2[itex]\alpha[/itex](2∏)
I rearranged to get:
4∏2=[itex]\alpha[/itex]((4∏(0.69)2)+(π(0.69)2)-((0.5)(0.69)2))
[itex]\alpha[/itex]=5.45

Physics news on Phys.org
PirateFan308 said:
First revolution:
w0=0 t=? [itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\alpha[/itex] w=w ∅=2∏

Second revolution:
w0=w t=0.690s [itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\alpha[/itex] ∅=2∏

Second revolution:

2∏ = w0(0.690)+(0.5)[itex]\alpha[/itex](0.690)2
[itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\frac{2∏-w0(0.69)}{(0.5)(0.69)^2}[/itex]

I agree up to this point.

First equation:
w2=w02+2[itex]\alpha[/itex](2∏)
([itex]\frac{2∏-w0(0.69)}{(0.5)(0.69)^2}[/itex])([itex]\frac{2∏-w0(0.69)}{(0.5)(0.69)^2}[/itex])=2[itex]\alpha[/itex](2∏)
I rearranged to get:
4∏2=[itex]\alpha[/itex]((4∏(0.69)2)+(π(0.69)2)-((0.5)(0.69)2))
[itex]\alpha[/itex]=5.45

Your "velocity-squared" equation is all right, and [itex]\omega_{0} = 0 [/itex] . But doesn't that then lead to

[tex]\omega^{2} = 0^{2} + 4 \alpha \pi \Rightarrow \omega^{2} = 4 \pi \cdot \frac{2 \pi - \omega (0.69)}{(0.5)(0.69)^2} , [/tex]

with [itex]\omega[/itex] being the angular speed at the start of the second revolution? (In fact, your expression in parentheses has units of rad/(sec2), so you can't mean to insert it into the first equation for [itex]\omega [/itex] .)

(And I don't see a much tidier way of doing this, in view of the information given and the fact that there are two unknowns.)

BTW, don't forget to answer the first question about how long the first revolution took.

Last edited:
I figured out a couple of different ways to solve this. They both lead me to the same quadratic equation for t2/t1, where t1 is the time required for the first revolution, and t2 is the time required for the second revolution (which we know to be 0.69 s).

Method 1:

Angular displacement between t = 0 and t = t1:

[tex] \Delta \theta = \frac{1}{2}\alpha (\Delta t)^2 \Rightarrow 2 \pi = \frac{1}{2}\alpha t_1^2 [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \alpha = \frac{4\pi}{t_1^2} [/tex]

Angular displacement between t = 0 and t = t2:

[tex] 4 \pi = \frac{1}{2}\alpha (t_1+t_2)^2 [/tex]

[tex] 8 \pi = \frac{4\pi}{t_1^2} (t_1+t_2)^2 [/tex]

[tex] 2 = \frac{t_1^2 + 2t_1t_2 + t_2^2}{t_1^2} [/tex]

[tex] 2 = 1 + 2\frac{t_2}{t_1} + \left(\frac{t_2}{t_1}\right)^2 [/tex]

Letting x = t2/t1, this becomes the quadratic equation:

[tex] x^2 + 2x - 1 = 0 [/tex]

which you can solve.

Method 2:

Angular displacement between t = 0 and t = t1:

[tex] \Delta \theta = \frac{1}{2}\alpha (\Delta t)^2 \Rightarrow 2 \pi = \frac{1}{2}\alpha t_1^2 [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \alpha = \frac{4\pi}{t_1^2} [/tex]

Angular displacement between t = t1 and t = t2:

[tex] 2\pi = \omega_1 t_2 + \frac{1}{2}\alpha t_2^2 [/tex]

But [itex] \omega_1 [/itex] (the speed at the end of the first revolution) is just [itex] \alpha t_1 [/itex]. Also, if you substitute in the expression for alpha, you get:

[tex] 2\pi = 4\pi \frac{t_2}{t_1} + 2\pi \frac{t_2^2}{t_1^2} [/tex]

[tex] 1 = 2x + x^2 [/tex]

Same quadratic as before. Since you know t2 (it's given), once you solve for x, you have solved for t1. Discard the solution to the quadratic in which the ratio is negative.

Wow, thanks guys! That helped a lot!

One question, how did you format your equations so that they looked so much neater and easier to read?

1. What is a rotating computer disk drive?

A rotating computer disk drive is a type of computer storage device that uses spinning disks to store and retrieve data. It is commonly used in personal computers and servers to store operating systems, software, and other files.

2. How does a rotating computer disk drive work?

A rotating computer disk drive works by using a mechanical arm with read/write heads to access and store data on spinning disks. The disks are coated with a magnetic material that can hold binary data in the form of 0s and 1s. When data is written, the read/write heads magnetize the disk surface to represent the data. When data is read, the read/write heads detect the magnetic fields and convert them back into digital data.

3. What are the benefits of using a rotating computer disk drive?

There are several benefits to using a rotating computer disk drive, including high storage capacity, low cost, and reliability. These drives can store large amounts of data, making them suitable for storing large files and databases. They are also relatively inexpensive compared to other storage options. Additionally, rotating computer disk drives have a long lifespan and can withstand frequent use.

4. What are the disadvantages of using a rotating computer disk drive?

One major disadvantage of using a rotating computer disk drive is its susceptibility to mechanical failures. The moving parts of the drive, such as the spinning disks and mechanical arm, can wear out over time and cause the drive to malfunction. This can result in data loss and the need for expensive repairs or replacements. Rotating computer disk drives also have slower read and write speeds compared to solid-state drives.

5. How can I prolong the lifespan of my rotating computer disk drive?

To prolong the lifespan of your rotating computer disk drive, it is important to handle it carefully and avoid physical damage. Avoid moving or jostling the drive while it is in use, as this can cause data corruption or mechanical failures. It is also recommended to regularly back up important data to prevent loss in case of a drive failure. Additionally, keeping the drive in a cool and dry environment can help prevent overheating and extend its lifespan.