Parameterizing A Circle Projected onto a Plane

In summary, the homework statement asks for a parametrization that is "above" the circle. The Attempt at a Solution provides a vector function that parameterizes a curve that lies in the plane x-y+z=2 and directly above the circle x2 + (y-1)2 = 9. However, the curve is not entirely above the circle (assuming the problem does make this fine distinction).
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Find a vector function that parameterizes a curve C which lies in the plane x-y+z=2 and directly above the circle x2 + (y-1)2 = 9

The Attempt at a Solution

So, in order to parameterize the circle, I simply use x=cos(t), y = sin(t) with some adjustments. Namely, I let x=3cos(t) and y=3sin(t)+1. Then, to determine how the z-coordinates of this curve change according to x,y I use the definition of the plane. So I have z=2-x+y, which I convert using my parametric defintions for x,y.

I have, z=3-3cos(t)+3sin(t). Therefore, my parameterized curve is,

<3cos(t),3sin(t)+1,3-3cos(t)+3sin(t)>

Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.
But... is it always above the circle?

So I just drew myself a little sketch. Basically I have plane and, beneath it, a cylinder which extends upwards, whose base represents the circle. The intersection of the cylinder and the plane should be the projection of the circle onto the plane, right? In this case, I can't see how the projection could be anywhere else besides over the circle.

As an aside, the vector projection of a onto b is given as follows:

((b [dot] a)/|a|) * a/|a|.

Is it possible to use the idea of projections along with dot products to solve this problem?

TranscendArcu said:
So I just drew myself a little sketch. Basically I have plane and, beneath it, a cylinder which extends upwards, whose base represents the circle. The intersection of the cylinder and the plane should be the projection of the circle onto the plane, right? In this case, I can't see how the projection could be anywhere else besides over the circle.

Consider t=-pi/4.
Is the corresponding point above or below the circle?
TranscendArcu said:
As an aside, the vector projection of a onto b is given as follows:

((b [dot] a)/|a|) * a/|a|.

Is it possible to use the idea of projections along with dot products to solve this problem?

This is the formula for projection onto a line.
It doesn't work for projection onto a plane.

Anyway, you still need a parametrization.
Your method is just fine.
The only catch is that the curve is not entirely above the circle (assuming the problem does make this fine distinction).

OH! I see what you mean now. So presumably I need only calculate a z-coordinate for above/below orientation:

z=3-3cos(t)+3sin(t), where t=-pi/4
z=3-3sqrt(2).

So I understand that this point is below the xy-plane, but I don't understand how this impacts the parametrization. Does it change how I am allowed to define t? If the intersection of my cylinder with the plane is still the projection, what difference does "above" or "below" make?

Well, as I interpret the problem (and I may be wrong), it asks for a parametrization that is "above" the circle.
So I think you're supposed to limit the range of t, such that the curve is indeed "above" the circle.
But perhaps I'm being too nit-picky. You tell me.
Still, it is good practice...

1. What is parameterization?

Parameterization is the process of defining a mathematical relationship between variables. In the context of projecting a circle onto a plane, parameterization allows us to express the coordinates of points on the circle in terms of one or more parameters, such as angle or distance.

2. Why is it necessary to parameterize a circle projected onto a plane?

When a circle is projected onto a plane, it is no longer a perfect circle. Instead, it becomes an ellipse or other non-circular shape. Parameterization allows us to describe the resulting shape in a systematic way, making it easier to analyze and understand.

3. How do you parameterize a circle projected onto a plane?

To parameterize a circle projected onto a plane, we can use a variety of techniques such as trigonometric functions, polar coordinates, or complex numbers. The specific method used will depend on the properties of the circle and plane, as well as the desired level of precision.

4. Can parameterization be applied to other shapes besides circles?

Yes, parameterization can be used to describe the shape of any 2-dimensional object projected onto a plane. This technique is commonly used in computer graphics and engineering to model and manipulate complex shapes.

5. What are the practical applications of parameterizing a circle projected onto a plane?

Parameterization of a projected circle has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It can be used to analyze the behavior of objects in motion, create 3-dimensional models, and solve complex geometric problems.