Can the Siemens SGT400 turbine be used as both a generator and compressor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Siemens turbine SGT400 model as both a generator and a compressor. The question is whether it is possible to use the core engine designed for the generator in the compressor mode and if there are any risks or differences in design. The answer is that it is possible but it requires an entire engineering team to work out the solution. The conversation also mentions the option of using a turbofan aero engine for compressed air needs.
alivip
I have recently some research about Siemens turbine, specially SGT400 model.

this type of turbine can be used as a generator and also as a compressor. Both of them has a core "core engine "

http://www.energy.siemens.com/hq/en/power-generation/gas-turbines/sgt-400.htm

I need to know is it possible to use core engine which designed for generator in compressor mode practically. In fact, my question focused on this subject " is it risky? or what kind of problem may be happens if we use these core engine instead of each other, is it any difference in their designs and so on. "

I read all Siemens documents about SGT400. but i have no drawings and i m not expert in this filed :(

Its highly appreciated if you help me in this regards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are going to buy one of these turbines from Seimens, then they will be very happy to assign their engineering staff to make sure that it does all that you want it to do.

The simple answer to your question is that it is very possible to drive a compressor with a gas turbine. But how to do it cannot be adequately answered in this forum. It has to be worked out by the engineers who designed the system. None of the engineers will understand the whole solution, so it will take an entire engineering team.

All this assumes that you are using this compressor for air. If you are planning on using an axial compressor for any other gas, then the engineering cost may very well increase by a couple orders of magnitude.

Thanks for your answer. you have a deep understand of my problem.

actually in general , core engine of generator may works as a compressor but i specially want to know about Siemens sgt400 and all risk and problem may happens.

i don't want buy from Siemens , so i can not think Siemens help me in this regards. anybody have any connection with Siemens to help me?

i think its better to write my problem in forum specific for turbine or power electrical engineering. the only forum i know is eng-tips site but recently i can not log in in this forum.
anybody knows forum or any other site may help me?

I think you are confusing the compressor of the gas generator with a compressor driven by the shaft of the power turbine. What you have here is a gas generator (jet engine) that produces a stream of hot gas that then rotates a power turbine (just think about a steam turbine with hot air instead of steam), the power turbine is then used as a mechanical drive to a compressor pump or alternator.

Depending on what your compressed air needs are, you might do better with a turbofan aero engine. They produce a high volume of compressed air that bypasses the turbine and blows out the back. But some engineered mods would still be required.

1. What is a generator and compressor?

A generator and compressor are two separate machines that are often used together. A generator is a machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy, while a compressor is a machine that increases the pressure of a gas or air by reducing its volume.

2. What are the main differences between a generator and compressor?

The main difference between a generator and compressor is their primary function. A generator produces electricity, while a compressor increases the pressure of a gas or air. Additionally, generators typically use fuel or mechanical energy to operate, while compressors are powered by electricity or natural gas.

3. What are some common uses for generators and compressors?

Generators are often used as backup power sources during power outages or in remote locations where electricity is not readily available. Compressors are commonly used in industrial settings for powering pneumatic tools, refrigeration systems, and air conditioning units.

4. How do generators and compressors work together?

In some cases, a generator may be used to power a compressor. This is often seen in construction sites or remote areas where electricity is needed for both tools and compressors. Additionally, generators can be used to power air compressors that provide compressed air for industrial processes.

5. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a generator and compressor?

When choosing a generator and compressor, some important factors to consider include power output, size and portability, fuel efficiency, and noise level. It is also important to consider the specific needs and applications for which the machines will be used, as well as any safety requirements or regulations that may apply.