Help in runge kutta problem to determine period of a comet

In summary, your professor is looking for a way to use simple mathematics to calculate the period of a comet's orbit. He is asking for help in setting up a system of equations to solve.
Gvilla1000
Hi everyone:

I have trouble in an assignment I was given. The instructions are to utilize Runge-Kutta order 2 and 4 to determine the period of the comet Halley (perihelion = 0.586 AU and aphelion = 35.1 AU).

The period of the orbit is given by Kepler's third law:
Period = Sm3/2

where Sm is the Semimajor axis acquired from:
Sm= (P+A)/2

where P is the perihelion and A is the aphelion

My problem is...if this is such a straightforward answer...how can I use Runge-Kutta in a problem like this? what would be my function that I would need to use Runke Kutta on?

Technology news on Phys.org
You could use Newton's laws of motion and the inverse square law of gravitiation. Or you could set up some equations using conservation of energy and angular momentum. You will also need the initial conditions, e.g. the speed of the planet at periohelion that gives you the correct aphelion distance.

It's hard to say what is the "best" way to set this up without knowing the bigger picture of how this course fits into your studies. A computer scientist who knows about numerical methods but not much physics, a mech engineer who knows about dynamics but not much astronomy, and an astronomer, would probably do it three different ways.

Last edited:
If I had given this problem to my students, I would have meant it as follows:

1. Set up a system of linear differential equations to describe the motion of the comet in the Sun's gravitational field, starting with F = ma and Newton's law of gravitation.

2. Write a program to solve those equations using the specified methods, to generate the path of the comet given its initial position and velocity.

3. For the initial position, use the known perihelion for Halley's comet. Adjust the initial velocity so that the aphelion is the known value for Halley's comet.

4. Trace the comet through one complete orbit and find how much time it takes.

But your professor might have meant something else, so you had best ask him if this is the sort of thing he is looking for.

1. How do you use Runge Kutta to determine the period of a comet?

To use Runge Kutta to determine the period of a comet, you would first need to gather data on the comet's position and velocity over a period of time. Then, you can use the Runge Kutta method, which is a numerical integration technique, to solve the differential equations that describe the comet's motion. By analyzing the resulting solution, you can determine the time it takes for the comet to complete one orbit, which is its period.

2. What are the steps involved in using Runge Kutta to determine the period of a comet?

The steps involved in using Runge Kutta to determine the period of a comet include:

1. Gathering data on the comet's position and velocity over a period of time.
  2. Formulating the differential equations that describe the comet's motion.
  3. Choosing an appropriate step size and initial conditions for the Runge Kutta method.
  4. Implementing the Runge Kutta algorithm to solve the differential equations.
  5. Analyzing the resulting solution to determine the period of the comet.

3. What are the advantages of using Runge Kutta for determining the period of a comet?

One of the main advantages of using Runge Kutta for determining the period of a comet is its accuracy. This numerical integration method is known for producing more accurate results than other techniques, especially for complex differential equations. Additionally, Runge Kutta is a versatile method that can be applied to a wide range of problems, making it a useful tool for scientists studying comets and other celestial bodies.

4. Are there any limitations to using Runge Kutta for determining the period of a comet?

Like any numerical method, Runge Kutta has its limitations. One of the main limitations is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for higher order differential equations. This means that it may not be the most efficient method for determining the period of a comet if there is a large amount of data to analyze. Additionally, Runge Kutta may not be suitable for all types of differential equations, so it is important to choose the method carefully based on the specific problem at hand.

5. How is the period of a comet related to its orbit and distance from the sun?

The period of a comet is directly related to its orbit and distance from the sun. The further a comet is from the sun, the longer its period will be. This is because the strength of the sun's gravitational force decreases with distance, which affects the comet's speed and orbital period. Additionally, the shape of a comet's orbit also plays a role in determining its period. Comets with more elliptical orbits will have longer periods compared to those with more circular orbits.