Can antidepressants affect IQ?

• Medical
  • Thread starter lewdawgdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of whether taking an antidepressant, specifically an SSRI, would lower one's IQ. The general consensus was that there is no evidence to support this claim and in fact, many people have experienced improved focus and cognitive functioning while on antidepressants. However, personal experiences and opinions varied, with some expressing concerns about long-term effects and others sharing negative experiences with SSRIs. Overall, it was suggested that seeking professional help and carefully considering all options is important when dealing with mental health issues.
lewdawgdude
Hi. I created this account to ask this question. This seems like the type of community whose opinion I'd value. Basically, I'm a 19 year old math major at what most would consider a very good university. I'm definitely very smart, but as of a year or two ago have been having emotional problems. I basically have anxiety that is not bad, and I've avoided all medicine. It may be so bad that I need it now. Most of the time I'm fine, so it seems a mild antidepressant would be a good choice - just to keep my chemicals healthy to the point where my anxiety doesn't get too bad.

Anyway here is the question. Would an antidepressant (SSRI) lower your IQ in any sort of way? Ignoring the fact it would mostly help in situation were your emotions are hurting your intelligence. Basically, I mean if someone who wasn't depressed took an would his IQ be affected? It definitely seems like some psychiatric medicine could, but maybe not antidepressants. Does anyone have any knowledge that could help? Also if anyone has any personal experiences with the medication that would be of greatest help, and if you could inbox me(so its private), that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

T

Biology news on Phys.org
I know plenty of people on SSRIs. It hasn't seemed to affect their mind in the way of IQs. They are just as smart, but maybe more focused and things don't bother them as much. Of course, drugs won't solve your problems 100%. Personal experience... I was told by my doc to either take the medicine or try just exercising. It seems to help my focus and I still have yet to be put on anything.

I cannot offer advice. All I can do is recount my own experiences.

I was concerned that my SSRI was dulling my ability to program. I used to describe it as "every day is a new day", as in, I would wake up in the morning and have to remember all over again the things I was thinking about the night before. If they happened to be solving a problem, I was worried that this was harming my ability.

I decided to go off it. Slowly. I found that my concentration got MUCH worse. So much so, I could not do my job. Literally, my concentration ground to a hlat and I had to take a couple of weeks off. Now I'm back on the SSRI, and will be on it for the rest of my life. No two ways about it. I am dependent on it.

Moral of the story?

If I could go back and give myself a piece of advice, I would go back tell myself DO NOT START TAKING AN SSRI!

SSRI's do not lower IQ, if anything, most people say that they function much better now. It's different for everyone. I was on an SSRI for a few years and decided it was making me "too calm", so I stopped it cold turkey with no side efects. (do not do this, as I've read it causes many people side effects, consult your doctor before you do anything).

As has been said, we cannot diagnose you, you should see a doctor about your symptoms. if you are clinically depressed, there are many types of anti-depressants that are not SSRIs, if you do not wish to try one.

antidepressants have always boosted my IQ and self confidence.
I love antidepressants.

To the OP: No, it would not. Antidepressants have been tested for I-don't-know-how-long, and statistically significant differences in intelligence would've been something that would've been known by now. Given that I couldn't find anything about it in any paper - and the one paper I found about antidepressants and IQ was about pregnant women, and no statistical differences in IQ were found between the children of women on antidepressants and the children of women who didn't use any - feel free to assume that there is no such link. :smile:

Also, as Evo has already pointed out, if you consider that the idea behind antidepressants is that they make you feel *better*, it is much more likely that you are going to function better because of them. Thus, it may even seem (although this obviously depends on how much your problems have affected your performance) as if your IQ has raised a few points.

DaveC426913 said:
If I could go back and give myself a piece of advice, I would go back tell myself DO NOT START TAKING AN SSRI!

I obviously don't know about any (other) side-effects you may have experienced, but have you considered trying to get a Ritalin or Adderall prescription? This might help you concentrate, and if lack of concentration is the only reason you're currently using SSRIs, you may experience fewer side-effects (again, presuming you're experiencing any side-effects right now; if not, well, ignore what I just said :wink:).

Wow, thanks for the helpful responses. I guess I've had a distorted view. I thought most psychiatric medicine were quick fixes that masked problems, drugged you out, or made you a zombie etc. Perhaps with SSRI's this isn't the case at all. This all seems a little too good to be true. I'm always a little paranoid there are long term affects that are unknown or well hidden. Anyway most of what I'm hearing suggests they are good to assist in difficult times in life :smile: .

Hobin said:
...but have you considered trying to get a Ritalin or Adderall prescription? ...

I have tried several substitutes, all with disastrous results.

lewdawgdude said:
Anyway most of what I'm hearing suggests they are good to assist in difficult times in life :smile: .
I put my hand up to once again point out my strong opinion that they are a bad thing. For me, it is a road I went down from which I will never be able to return.

I wish I had recognized and dealt with the underlying problems directly, instead of medicating them, but I didn't know that at the time. (In retrospect, it was really life-stress that drove me to seek help. Counselling would have been the better solution.)

So, maybe I can't reach back into my own past and give myself some wisdom, but I suppose the next best thing is to pay it forward to someone for whom it's not too late.

Anyway, we really shouldn't be offering medical advice. I just couldn't help sharing my story as a cautionary tale.

Last edited:
lewdawgdude said:
I thought most psychiatric medicine were quick fixes that masked problems

That *is* actually something to consider. While meds can certainly help you, it is obviously preferable to resolve the issues directly, if possible. As Dave pointed out, there *are* (or at least: can be) drawbacks to psychiatric medicine. However, I personally think it's totally reasonable to want to use meds either to make it easier to deal with the underlying problem, or because it's pretty much impossible to deal with the problem directly to begin with (as can be the case if you're having a brain anomaly, for example).

So, maybe I can't reach back into my own past and give myself some wisdom, but I suppose the next best thing is to pay it forward to someone for whom it's not too late.

Thanks. To my understanding you could not successfully quit it when you felt you were ready to? That is definitely something to consider. Was there anything wrong with it while you were on it?

lewdawgdude said:
Thanks. To my understanding you could not successfully quit it when you felt you were ready to?
Correct. And I have recently accepted that I never will. (I just finished my very best attempt. Did absolutely everything right. And had the meltdown anyway.)

lewdawgdude said:
That is definitely something to consider. Was there anything wrong with it while you were on it?
Exactly one-and-a-half-things:
1] Did a number on my libido.
.5] I thought it was making it difficult to concentrate. As a programmer, I need a sharp analytical mind with all cylinders firing. Turns out, being off the meds is way worse. I'm back on now, and really pleased with my ability to do my job.

Hobin said:
That *is* actually something to consider. While meds can certainly help you, it is obviously preferable to resolve the issues directly, if possible. As Dave pointed out, there *are* (or at least: can be) drawbacks to psychiatric medicine. However, I personally think it's totally reasonable to want to use meds either to make it easier to deal with the underlying problem, or because it's pretty much impossible to deal with the problem directly to begin with (as can be the case if you're having a brain anomaly, for example).

I definitely agree that addressing the issue directly is the best way to go. I've put the meds off for long and I'm too the point where I should be strongly considering them, in my opinion.

hi,
i was on ssri medication too.
I had that for 3/4 months and stopped coz i felt ok. Sometimes when i feel not ok. I take without consulting or let's say irregularly.
Will that be bad?

dpa said:
hi,
i was on ssri medication too.
I had that for 3/4 months and stopped coz i felt ok. Sometimes when i feel not ok. I take without consulting or let's say irregularly.
Will that be bad?

There are, of course, different classes of antidepressant medication. However, as long as you stick to the meds you've been using earlier (I presume without any problems), you will most likely be fine. Should you experience side-effects anyway, you should of course see a doctor.

A free tip, though: it can take up to three (or sometimes even more) weeks for SSRIs to become effective. If you're the kind of person who regularly has relatively small periods of depression, it would most likely be more effective to keep using your meds even when not depressed.

I noticed this thread - and I wanted to mention that using anti-depressants will likely reduce your ability to be critical. There are different ones, of course, and you may wish to try to find one that does that less than others.

It seems that that is part of how they "work". As in critical thinking can be turned on one's self and everything in general. If a programmer, mathematician, artist could just keep one's critical focus on the problem at hand - it might be one thing - but that is often not the case.

In my case I have been able to go ahead and be more productive with anti-depressants - because some of the critical thinking was keeping me from pursuing a career in higher education. While I can and do paint more than ever - I think a definite side effect is being less critical. One thing artists do, for instance, is to "Critique" other art works. While I can do that - I feel that I am less sharp - but I am sharp enough.

There can be trade-offs. I think the gains outweigh the problems.

paintperson describes very well my experience too. One of the reasons I went on SSRIs was because of obsessive thoughts (not nasty stuff, just stressors I was unable to let go). The positive side of obsessive thoughts is problem-solving. So yeah, as paintperson says, it's a trade-off of what constitutes a liveable life.

painterperson said:
I noticed this thread - and I wanted to mention that using anti-depressants will likely reduce your ability to be critical. There are different ones, of course, and you may wish to try to find one that does that less than others.

I reject the use of 'likely' in your premise. It's quite possible that it does this for some people, of course - you and Dave being two of them. I, on the other hand, found that I actually became *better* at critical thinking (although I was, thankfully, less emotionally involved) under the influence of an antidepressant (more specifically, an SSRI - although for me it's recently in combination with lithium, since I'm bipolar). Unless someone can cite a source that points one way or the other, it's hard to say which (if any) is *likely* to happen: all we're doing is throwing around hypothetical proof.

I was on SSRIs for a few months, I noticed no difference at all.
I still feel as bipolar as I did before, after and during the treatment.
The knowledge that even the medication doesn't do anything sure doesn't help with the feelings of hopelessness -.-

To the OP, I'd say that if it's just anxiety you'd be better of with a benzodiazepine. As far as I know those deal with anxiety better than SSRIs (assuming it's not constant anxiety).
That being said, if you feel like me when I'm having a depressive episode you won't be able to study at all. So I guess you should consider it then.

Edit;
What I'm trying to say is that I don't really know since they did nothing for me

To be specific - the two antidepressants I have used are Prozac (which is an SSRI) and Effexor / Venlafaxine (which is an SNRI)

I stopped using Prozac mostly because it did not allow enough critical thinking. I was working at a design job at the time and I needed to be sharper.

I think that Effexor is better than Prozac for thinking critically - but if there are ways to reduce your anxiety without medication - that is all the better. Yoga, meditation, exercise, vitamin B12, etc. But sometimes people NEED medication and so that is that.

It is important to understand the tradeoffs - especially for people where high levels of critical thinking is an important part of their jobs. On the other hand - with antidepressants - there may be other job opportunities you would not have considered. Teaching and/or working more closely with other people, for instance.

genericusrnme said:
I was on SSRIs for a few months, I noticed no difference at all.
I still feel as bipolar as I did before, after and during the treatment.
The knowledge that even the medication doesn't do anything sure doesn't help with the feelings of hopelessness -.-
Do not yet despair! There are other SSRIs and even other classes of antidepressants, too, and you should probably talk to your doctor about them. I've done some research, and bipolar is well-known for being a rather hard-to-treat condition. It can often take some 'experimentation' (supervised by an experienced psychiatrist is obviously preferable) with medication to find a good match that works for you.

genericusrnme said:
To the OP, I'd say that if it's just anxiety you'd be better of with a benzodiazepine. As far as I know those deal with anxiety better than SSRIs (assuming it's not constant anxiety).
That being said, if you feel like me when I'm having a depressive episode you won't be able to study at all. So I guess you should consider it then.
SSRIs work reasonably well against anxiety for most people, and its advisable to use those first. Benzodiazepines are most effective, but they're best used only for short periods of time, because they're much more physically addictive. Benzos also have much more significant long-term side effects.

My advice: using benzodiazepines for only a short period of time is fine, but they should preferably only be used consistently if you've tried every other method (excluding a few of the more dangerous meds, of course).

And another thing - I know many people who are super-critical (such as certain family members) who would be Soooooo much better off with some kind of anti-depressant - but they will not consider taking them.

Some people who could benefit from them are able to function without them - but live rather miserable lives. They think it is more noble or something to suffer.

On the other hand, I have a daughter who really cannot function without them - I decided to try Effexor when I saw how much better she was with taking it. Plus I had gotten rather seriously depressed - so it made sense for me. I've been taking it for five years.

Hobin said:
Do not yet despair! There are other SSRIs and even other classes of antidepressants, too, and you should probably talk to your doctor about them. I've done some research, and bipolar is well-known for being a rather hard-to-treat condition. It can often take some 'experimentation' (supervised by an experienced psychiatrist is obviously preferable) with medication to find a good match that works for you.

I might have to do that then. Thing is, I only recently tried to see a doctor to get some help, I felt like I needed the help urgently - I still do - so I got an appointment with whoever I could, asap. I ended up getting a locum who told me, in more words, to 'buck myself up' or to start running (which I already do). So I don't know how it'd look if I tried to get an appoinement with my normal GP, which could probably take ~2 weeks this soon after..
I guess I'll wait a week or two.

Thanks for the heads up though, I just thought that all the SSRIs were pretty much the same and that they were the only normally prescribed medications, you've given me hope buddy!

genericusrnme said:
I might have to do that then. Thing is, I only recently tried to see a doctor to get some help, I felt like I needed the help urgently - I still do - so I got an appointment with whoever I could, asap. I ended up getting a locum who told me, in more words, to 'buck myself up' or to start running (which I already do). So I don't know how it'd look if I tried to get an appoinement with my normal GP, which could probably take ~2 weeks this soon after..
I guess I'll wait a week or two.
It sounds like your locum was an idiot, or at least a 'very uninformed person'. Go see your GP. He can probably tell you more, or point you to a psychiatrist. If that fails, you can always start looking for a good psychiatrist yourself. Also, to give you some advice I've been given as well: feel free to look around and see if you can find a psychiatrist you genuinely feel like talking to. You'll probably need to see him/her for changes to your medication now and then, and this works best if it's someone you can genuinely have a good conversation with.

genericusrnme said:
Thanks for the heads up though, I just thought that all the SSRIs were pretty much the same and that they were the only normally prescribed medications, you've given me hope buddy!
You're welcome. :smile:

EDIT: Ah, found it! This may also be useful. You don't need to read it all, but it's a good reference.

Last edited:
Hobin said:
It sounds like your locum was an idiot, or at least a 'very uninformed person'. Go see your GP. He can probably tell you more, or point you to a psychiatrist. If that fails, you can always start looking for a good psychiatrist yourself. Also, to give you some advice I've been given as well: feel free to look around and see if you can find a psychiatrist you genuinely feel like talking to. You'll probably need to see him/her for changes to your medication now and then, and this works best if it's someone you can genuinely have a good conversation with.

I at one point asked to be referred to someone and got referred to a 'psychiatric nurse' which really didn't go too well, they were the kind of person that, upon finding out you study physics, feels the need to tell you about how they could never do maths. Not to sound trumped up or anything but I really can't respect someone's advice if they genuinely struggled with high school maths. So that didn't go too well and I called it off. Before that I was seeing someone else, I can't remember if it was another psychiatric nurse or a psychiatrist or what not but that also didn't go too well. I could talk to them but I can also talk to my wall which is what it felt like. Every reply from them was along the lines of 'and how does that make you feel'. Again, that didn't go to well either and I had to get the bus to see this person which really made me feel like I was wasting what little money I had.
I'm enthused by your responce, I'll make an appointment with my GP once I get back in from the shops.
Thank you very much Hobin

genericusrnme said:
I at one point asked to be referred to someone and got referred to a 'psychiatric nurse' which really didn't go too well, they were the kind of person that, upon finding out you study physics, feels the need to tell you about how they could never do maths. Not to sound trumped up or anything but I really can't respect someone's advice if they genuinely struggled with high school maths. So that didn't go too well and I called it off.
Heh. You might want to try to work on that. Although I understand the feeling, it's not the rational thing to do (and I suspect you know this). You don't need to be good at math to become a good and capable doctor. :wink:

genericusrnme said:
Before that I was seeing someone else, I can't remember if it was another psychiatric nurse or a psychiatrist or what not but that also didn't go too well. I could talk to them but I can also talk to my wall which is what it felt like. Every reply from them was along the lines of 'and how does that make you feel'. Again, that didn't go to well either and I had to get the bus to see this person which really made me feel like I was wasting what little money I had.
This reminds me a bit of my own experiences with a psychologist. I, too, have seen my fair share of them. I suspect it might be a bipolar thing because of the constant changes in mood, which cause periods where I think I have it all under control and don't need help.

What I found helps a lot is simply saying that you don't like it when they're not offering any input; that you're actually there to get help, not to talk to a wall so you can go home after an hour feeling like you haven't actually accomplished anything. If such a person still reacts with questions such as "and how does that make you feel" or can't give you a proper explanation for why they're doing that, you know you should probably see someone else. You will most likely find that in most cases we're simply making foolish assumptions about people's ability to sense our frustration (I suspect almost anyone does or has done this to some degree).

painterperson said:
I think that Effexor is better than Prozac for thinking critically
You meant "for me" but I thought I'd be explicit. Efficacy is extremely individualized. What works perfectly for person A might have no effect - or actually worsen the effects - for person B.

DaveC426913 said:
You meant "for me" but I thought I'd be explicit. Efficacy is extremely individualized. What works perfectly for person A might have no effect - or actually worsen the effects - for person B.

I second that statement. Antidepressants are not like aspirin.

Oh sure - I didn't mean to suggest that they are (like aspirin). I have heard that there is a thing, however where often what works for one member of a family will work for another - who has similar symptoms. Assuming that there is some genetic basis, etc.

I also think that it is likely that the newer ones are better than the older ones (at least for a lot of people).

So what does everyone think about the lose of 'critical' thinking? Is it one person's bad reaction? I would think its kind of hard to tell with paintings, they can be subjective. Painter, did you previously have problems critiquing, or worry that you would?Another good point was brought up: SSRIs fight off obsessive, OCD like thinking. I would have just thought because your mood is enhanced you are less likely to constantly worry over and over. But, does it somehow affect all obsessive thoughts, like the ability to obsess over problem until you can solve it?

lewdawgdude said:
So what does everyone think about the lose of 'critical' thinking? Is it one person's bad reaction? I would think its kind of hard to tell with paintings, they can be subjective. Painter, did you previously have problems critiquing, or worry that you would?
I think it's a misguided idea that you really lose your ability to think critically. Let's say you're obsessing over little things about yourself before taking an SSRI. Now, when you're using an SSRI that works for you, it's quite possible that you'll stop doing that, because quite simply, you feel better. This does not mean you have lost any skills in critical thinking, but that you are no longer as emotionally involved with the thoughts you previously obsessed about. You can still think about these issues, if you want, it just won't bother you as much. In fact, I think it's likely that when you think about what you previously obsessed about, you see things in a much more rational light.

What I think is that it's possible that some (doses of) SSRIs are too effective for some people, so to speak, so they stop being emotionally involved in things they want to be involved in, and this can give the impression of losing your critical thinking skills. In reality, it might be more of a concentration problem. It sucks to concentrate on things you don't care about as much as before.

lewdawgdude said:
Another good point was brought up: SSRIs fight off obsessive, OCD like thinking. I would have just thought because your mood is enhanced you are less likely to constantly worry over and over. But, does it somehow affect all obsessive thoughts, like the ability to obsess over problem until you can solve it?
It depends. :smile: Some obsessive thoughts are caused by a lack of self-esteem which, in turn, can be caused by a brain disorder such as depression or bipolar. Medication has helped me deal with such obsessions: it made me feel better about myself, so I no longer needed to obsess about such things; I no longer cared as much. However, unless you have a similar emotional connection to your homework, it shouldn't make much of a difference in that regard.

On the other hand, it can become a problem if you overdose on an SSRI or if an SSRI is particularly effective for you. Like I mentioned earlier, this may affect how much you care about things like your homework, which in turn will affect your ability to do it. With practice, you may be able to 'override' such emotions with your intellect so you can still do it, but a. it's still harder if you don't feel like doing it, and b. if you haven't tried different doses or a differrent antidepressant yet, do so now.

Another possibility is that you're experiencing apathy, which can be a serious side-effect of SSRIs. If that is the case, I repeat my advice of trying a different antidepressant. Apathy is not something you should take for granted when using an antidepressant.

I didn't lose my ability to think critically - but I do feel to some extent that I have to work harder at it - like there is a something there softening the edges of criticality.

I rather feel like my creative side (right brain if you like to think of it that way) is more free - so I can tap into that. Some think that when people discuss right/brain left/brain that painters think that they are ONLY thinking with the right side of the brain. I don't think that at all. But I do think that there are left brain types of thinking - the ones more likely to get all OCD about things - and esp. negative things which is the type of thing that (many) meds control.

I can still obsess about things when I want to :)

Also - different meds have different effects on motivation and all sorts of other things. The ideal is to be calm enough to work on what you want/need to do - but not so calm that you don't care.

There is a wide variety of meds out there. Some work on some things more than others and it is perfectly possible that some work more on anxiety and don't do anything at all that affect critical type of thinking.

I hope that my comments might help you when you discuss with your doctor who will hopefully be aware of these things and can guide you to the best one for you. :)

1. Can taking antidepressants lower my IQ?

No, there is no evidence to suggest that taking antidepressants can lower a person's IQ. In fact, some studies have shown that antidepressants can improve cognitive functioning in individuals with depression.

2. Are there specific types of antidepressants that can affect IQ?

There is no evidence to suggest that one type of antidepressant is more likely to affect IQ than another. However, some individuals may respond differently to different types of antidepressants, so it is important to work closely with a healthcare provider to find the best medication for you.

3. Can long-term use of antidepressants have a negative impact on IQ?

There is no evidence to suggest that long-term use of antidepressants can have a negative impact on IQ. In fact, some studies have shown that long-term use of antidepressants can improve cognitive functioning in individuals with depression.

4. Can antidepressants improve IQ?

While antidepressants can improve cognitive functioning in individuals with depression, there is no evidence to suggest that they can directly improve IQ. IQ is a measure of a person's intelligence and is not affected by medication.

5. Are there any potential side effects of antidepressants that can affect IQ?

Some potential side effects of antidepressants, such as drowsiness or difficulty concentrating, may temporarily affect a person's cognitive functioning. However, these side effects are usually mild and should not have a long-term impact on IQ.