Magnetic field at center of half square

In summary, the formula for the magnetic field for a straight wire is B = (μ/4∏)(I/R)(sinθ2 - sinθ1). To find the magnetic field at a specific point, two angles must be used. For the vertical sides, the angles should be swept from 0 to 45°, multiplied by 2, and then the B field should be calculated. For the top side, the angles should be ±45°, or ±90° for an infinitely long wire. It is recommended to check this using the Biot-Savart law.
HelpMeh
Hi, I am having some trouble understanding the formula for the magnetic field for a straight wire.

The equation is:

B = (μ/4∏)(I/R)(sinθ2 - sinθ1)

the picture looks like this:

...___
__| . |____

with the current coming in from the left. To find the magnetic field at the point (middle) You need two angle, which is where the issue comes up. I am not sure which two angles to use.

What i know:

im pretty sure to find the magnetic field generated by the vertical sides you would sweep out an angle from 0 to 45° (from bottom of the side to the top). then multiply by 2 since both sides will create the same B field, i have no idea what to use for the top side, possibly angle 1 being 45 and angle 2 being 135, but you get zero if this is done.any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi HelpMeh! :smile:
HelpMeh said:
Hi, I am having some trouble understanding the formula for the magnetic field for a straight wire.

The equation is:

B = (μ/4∏)(I/R)(sinθ2 - sinθ1)

im pretty sure to find the magnetic field generated by the vertical sides you would sweep out an angle from 0 to 45° (from bottom of the side to the top). then multiply by 2 since both sides will create the same B field, i have no idea what to use for the top side, possibly angle 1 being 45 and angle 2 being 135, but you get zero if this is done.

You're using the wrong θ :redface:

θ for the closest point is 0, not 90° …

so your angles will be ±45° …

(and for an infinitely long wire would be ±90°)

i suggest you check this by applying the Biot-Savart law. :wink:

What is the "Magnetic field at center of half square"?

The magnetic field at center of half square refers to the strength and direction of the magnetic field at the center point of a half square shaped object, such as a wire or a magnet.

How is the magnetic field at the center of half square calculated?

The magnetic field at the center of half square can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the half square, and r is the distance from the center of the half square to the point of measurement.

What factors affect the magnetic field at the center of half square?

The magnetic field at the center of half square can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the current, the distance from the center of the half square, and the shape and material of the half square object.

Can the magnetic field at the center of half square be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field at the center of half square can be manipulated by changing the current or distance from the center, or by using materials that can amplify or redirect magnetic fields.

What are the practical applications of studying the magnetic field at the center of half square?

Studying the magnetic field at the center of half square can have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and medicine. It can help in the design and optimization of electronic devices, in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials, and in medical imaging techniques such as MRI.