Discrete Fourier transform in k and 1/k

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) to find the frequency spectrum in 1/k instead of the usual way in k. The topic is unclear and the speaker is seeking help and clarification on the concept. The discussion also touches on the De Haas-van Alphen effect and plotting data against 1/k on a nonlinear scale. The conversation ends with a question about whether the data or the DFT is plotted against 1/k.
gnulinger
Say you have some function that is periodic in a parameter k. The discrete Fourier transform from a sampling may be found in the usual way, giving the frequency spectrum in k. But what if I want to find the frequency spectrum in 1/k ?

I'm not really sure what this is called, and so I've had a hard time Google searching for it. Any links or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey gnulinger.

When you say frequency spectrum are you talking about integer frequencies?

I do know that there are ways to get fractional frequencies that are based on fractional derivatives and subseqent integrals:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FractionalDerivative.html

But if you are talking about just having a transfer function to get something in F(1/k) instead of F(k), then I think this is going to be a bit more involved and you should probably outline the reason why you want the function in terms of 1/k as opposed to the linear transform space k.

chiro said:
But if you are talking about just having a transfer function to get something in F(1/k) instead of F(k), then I think this is going to be a bit more involved and you should probably outline the reason why you want the function in terms of 1/k as opposed to the linear transform space k.

I am talking about the latter, and yes, I think it will be fairly involved. I have a function that is periodic in 1/k, and I am wondering if there is some way of mapping the DFT in k to that in 1/k.

i know a lot about the DFT, it's definition, the theorems, how it is related to the continuous Fourier transform. but i cannot decode at all what you're talking about. what do you mean that it is "periodic in 1/k" ? try tossing up equations to be clear.

BTW, even though i get in fights about this on comp.dsp, i maintain that the DFT is nothing other than the Discrete Fourier Series. the DFT maps one discrete and periodic sequence of length N to another discrete and periodic sequence of the same length. and the inverse DFT maps it back. don't know if that answers your question.

Part of the problem is that I too am unclear on this subject, so it is hard for me to ask the right questions. I was hoping that someone may have heard of something related to what I was asking about, and could have pointed me in the right direction.

In the De Haas-van Alphen effect, wikipedia link, the magnetic moment of a crystal oscillates with period related to 1/B, where B is the magnetic field. The DFT would ostensibly give you a frequency spectrum in 1/B.

This is similar to what I want to do.

so, are you sampling the magnetic moment function of time somehow? where do the numbers that go into the DFT get set to some value?

The simplest way is to plot the results against 1/k on a nonlinear scale. You often see optical spectra plotted this way--the calculation is done for frequency but the plot is done against lambda.

marcusl said:
The simplest way is to plot the results against 1/k on a nonlinear scale. You often see optical spectra plotted this way--the calculation is done for frequency but the plot is done against lambda.

Do plot your data or the DFT against 1/k?

You have a function f(t) that has a Fourier transform, F(ω), that is null or almost null for |ω| > Ω. f(t) is sampled at every multiple of a given interval h to obtain a discrete signal f(n) = f(nh), where h should be < π/Ω. When you compute the DFT, F(μ), you are working on a normalized domain 0≤μ<π, but you can express it in "real" ω by multiplying by Ω or by 2π/h.
It's indifferent.

What is the Discrete Fourier Transform in k and 1/k?

The Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal or function into its constituent frequencies. The k and 1/k refer to the two sets of frequencies used in the DFT. The k frequencies represent the positive frequencies, while the 1/k frequencies represent the negative frequencies.

What is the difference between k and 1/k frequencies?

The k frequencies are the positive frequencies in the DFT, while the 1/k frequencies are the negative frequencies. This means that the k frequencies are represented as multiples of the fundamental frequency, while the 1/k frequencies are represented as the inverse of the fundamental frequency.

Why is the DFT often performed using k and 1/k frequencies?

The use of k and 1/k frequencies in the DFT allows for a more efficient calculation of the Fourier transform. This is because the DFT can be computed using only half of the frequencies, as the other half can be obtained by taking the complex conjugate of the first half. This reduces the computational complexity and makes the DFT more practical for real-world applications.

How is the DFT calculated using k and 1/k frequencies?

The DFT is calculated by multiplying the input signal by a set of complex exponential functions at various frequencies. These frequencies include both the k and 1/k frequencies. The resulting values are then summed to obtain the coefficients of the frequency components in the input signal.

What are the applications of the DFT in k and 1/k frequencies?

The DFT in k and 1/k frequencies is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data compression. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as astronomy, geology, and physics, to analyze and extract information from signals and data. Other applications include speech recognition, pattern recognition, and spectral analysis.