Outrageous way to be put to rest

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rest
In summary, the author wants to be put inside a spacecraft and shot into space, where he believes he could be discovered by aliens and brought back to life. There are several flaws with this plan, including the cost and feasibility of it.
uperkurk
Outrageous way to be put to rest :D

I was thinking the other day about when I die, I have come to the conclusion of what I want but how feasible is it right know I have no idea but here goes.

I want to be put inside a completely air tight, radiation proof, heat proof containing, shot up into space in the same direction as the Voyagers. Who knows, maybe I could be traveling through space for a billion years and eventually, I could be discovered by an advanced alien species and if they're that advanced, they could bring me back to life :D

Maybe by the time I die there is a way to reserve the human body from ever decaying. I know all of this is totally unlikely but I'm dead, what do I have to lose?

Tell me why my plan is flawed :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Don't know that it's flawed, just damned expensive and incredibly unlikely to work. Do you have any idea how BIG space it?

Unless your dead lungs are completely evacuated (together with all the other innards that still contain air), your body will probably deteriorate even in an airtight container. Unless you're deep-frozen before things get yucky, but that would take quite a bit of last-minute coordination before you draw your last breath.

phinds said:
Don't know that it's flawed, just damned expensive and incredibly unlikely to work. Do you have any idea how BIG space it?

Yes I do, but once I'm dead I'm dead, and I could travel through space for even 10billion years, if space still exists then and it would just seem like 1 second to me...

I mean I'm dead anyway, if I'm not found the screw it, I really doesn't make much difference to me :D

If you aren't a billionaire, step 1 is to become one. That's about what the launch costs will be.

uperkurk said:
Here are a few flaws:

1. No container or material is heat proof. I think you are more likely to plunge into a star and be destroyed, or crash into something, than to be found by other sentient beings (let alone ones with the technology to revive you.)

2. Even if you were found by beings with this technology, the technology would be meant for reviving their own species. Expecting that technology to work on a completely alien form of life (i.e. you) is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

3. You are more likely to pay money to some charlatan who falsely claims to have a completely air tight, radiation proof, etc. container than to pay money to somebody who genuinely does have one. So your actions are encouraging and rewarding people to act dishonestly, thus making our society worse off. Do you really want that on your conscience?

Redbelly98 said:
Here are a few flaws:

1. No container or material is heat proof. I think you are more likely to plunge into a star and be destroyed, or crash into something, than to be found by other sentient beings (let alone ones with the technology to revive you.)

2. Even if you were found by beings with this technology, the technology would be meant for reviving their own species. Expecting that technology to work on a completely alien form of life (i.e. you) is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

3. You are more likely to pay money to some charlatan who falsely claims to have a completely air tight, radiation proof, etc. container than to pay money to somebody who genuinely does have one. So your actions are encouraging and rewarding people to act dishonestly, thus making our society worse off. Do you really want that on your conscience?

Well when you put it like that...

uperkurk said:
I was thinking the other day about when I die, I have come to the conclusion of what I want but how feasible is it right know I have no idea but here goes.

I want to be put inside a completely air tight, radiation proof, heat proof containing, shot up into space in the same direction as the Voyagers. Who knows, maybe I could be traveling through space for a billion years and eventually, I could be discovered by an advanced alien species and if they're that advanced, they could bring me back to life :D

Maybe by the time I die there is a way to reserve the human body from ever decaying. I know all of this is totally unlikely but I'm dead, what do I have to lose?

Makes sense to me. Have the capsule give off some sort of signal and the aliens would find it easily.

Reviving your body would be quite difficult today, but these aliens could be a billion years of scientific progress ahead of us, in which case it might be child's play.

By the time you are found by aliens, you will be space jerky. Perhaps the aliens will find you tasty and want more. They might track your path back to Earth where they will find the source to satisfy their new jerky habit.

Please don't do this...

chemisttree said:
By the time you are found by aliens, you will be space jerky. Perhaps the aliens will find you tasty and want more. They might track your path back to Earth where they will find the source to satisfy their new jerky habit.

Please don't do this...

Pure speciesism and stereotyping of aliens. Like they would think a million year old alien corpse tasted good.

ImaLooser said:
Pure speciesism and stereotyping of aliens. Like they would think a million year old alien corpse tasted good.
So uperkurk's body is supposed to decompose enough to the point of tasting bad, but not so much that it can't be brought back to life? :confused:

It's funny. I actually just had this exact thought the other day. I know that the cost is prohibitive, but who knows? Perhaps by the time we die? Or maybe some eccentric will make this into a business and send people up in bulk?

But then I thought: What if I do reach intelligent life that has the technology to bring me back and they just torture me for eternity for their own amusement? What a bummer that would be...

Saladsamurai said:
It's funny. I actually just had this exact thought the other day. I know that the cost is prohibitive, but who knows? Perhaps by the time we die? Or maybe some eccentric will make this into a business and send people up in bulk?

But then I thought: What if I do reach intelligent life that has the technology to bring me back and they just torture me for eternity for their own amusement? What a bummer that would be...

Yes that would be terrible, but think it would be pretty unlikely. You definitely wouldn't be brought back to life and then released but I'm sure they'd keep you alive for tests and trying to find out all kinds of things about you.

My life long dream is to find out 100% if aliens exist :D

Redbelly98 said:
So uperkurk's body is supposed to decompose enough to the point of tasting bad, but not so much that it can't be brought back to life? :confused:

Like a strong cheese and gourmet.

Redbelly98 said:

They wouldm't bring his corpse back to life, silly. They'd extract the DNA and clone it.

Would YOU eat a million-year-old alien corpse?

Be partiotic, believe in Earth science! For the same amount of money, you could start a foundation dedicated to preserving your frozen body on the Earth, with enough left to reward those who revive you in the future!

I assume the whole "heat-proof" bits are so that no external causes can get in and kill you. But that means you're completely cut off from the outside, that nothing could get in. Including aliens.

Lovely idea in theory, but a bit stupid and impractical in practice.

This isn't what this forum is for. This forum is for discussion of sci-fi and fantasy stories/tv/movies. This forum is not for speculation to bypass the forum rules.

What is an "Outrageous way to be put to rest"?

An "Outrageous way to be put to rest" refers to a unique or unconventional method of handling a person's remains after death. This can include anything from a non-traditional funeral service to a creative memorial or burial.

What are some examples of "Outrageous ways to be put to rest"?

Some examples of "Outrageous ways to be put to rest" include being turned into a diamond or tree after cremation, having a space burial, or having your ashes spread at a specific location that holds special meaning to you.

Why do people choose "Outrageous ways to be put to rest"?

People may choose "Outrageous ways to be put to rest" as a way to honor their loved ones' unique personalities or interests. It can also be a way for individuals to have control over their own end-of-life plans and leave a lasting impact on the world.

Are there any ethical or legal concerns with "Outrageous ways to be put to rest"?

There can be ethical and legal concerns with some "Outrageous ways to be put to rest," particularly those involving unconventional handling of human remains. It is important to consult with professionals and understand any legal regulations before deciding on an "Outrageous way to be put to rest."

Do "Outrageous ways to be put to rest" have any environmental impact?

Some "Outrageous ways to be put to rest" can have environmental impacts, such as tree burials which can contribute to reforestation efforts. However, others may have a negative impact on the environment, so it is important to research and consider the environmental implications before making a decision.