How to Calculate the Shortest Chain Sling Length for Lifting a Bin?

In summary, Simon Bridge has found that the weight of the bin is evenly distributed as vertical force components to AC and BC. Then the angle formed by the chain from the horizontal, or the hypotenuse, then takes on the max value of 5 kN.
crashdirty86
Okay so I am stuck on this problem.

A moveable bin and its contents have a combined weight of 2.8 kN. Determine the shortest chain sling ACB that can be used to lift the loaded bin if the tension in the chain is not to exceed 5 kN.

So the picture given is a crate with h = 0.7m and base 1.2m with the corners labeled A and B.

Point C is above, centered of the crate between A and B with the connected chain to another. Point C is the location of interest being as this is where all the forces are acting.

My problem lies within finding this shortest length for the chain sling. I have drawn my FBD by trying to resolve my forces into components, I just lack the values for the angles. I'm sure with some basic geometry I will get this values. Also since I am dealing with a max force, am I to assume that the vertical force acting along the y-axis of point C is to be the 5 kN?

If anyone can give some advice, I would be greatly appreciative. I do not need an answer drawn out, just a little motivation that I am on the right track. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I ... lack the values for the angles.
These will be related to the dimensions of the chain-sling. Let the length of the chain, from A to C to B, be L. Can you find an equation relating the angles to this length?
am I to assume that the vertical force acting along the y-axis of point C is to be the 5 kN?
The 5kN is the maximum tension allowed in the chain.

In order to lift the bin, the is a minimum total vertical force. What is it?
What other forces contribute to the tension?

Simon Bridge said:
Can you find an equation relating the angles to this length?The 5kN is the maximum tension allowed in the chain.

In order to lift the bin, the is a minimum total vertical force. What is it?
What other forces contribute to the tension?

By letting ABC be L, I guess I can then say that L/2 and the height give me the value for two legs of a triangle. Using the inverse tangent function would then give me the angle that I would need.

As for the forces acting at point C, there would be the two tensions, AC & BC and the upward force acting at this point. I feel like I am neglecting the gravitational force of the bin though?

Okay I have figured it out now. I found that point C the weight of the bin is evenly distributed as vertical force components to AC and BC. Then the angle formed by the chain from the horizontal, or the hypotenuse, then takes on the max value of 5 kN. Hereafter, the angle that the chain forms can be used with the dimensions of the bin to find out what the shortest chain length, ABC, can be.

I have to say this one was a bit tricky. Thanks for your help Simon Bridge.

Well done. They can get trickier than that ;)

Welcome to Physics Forums, and just so you know for the future, we have separate forums for getting help with exercises like this one, regardless of whether they're school assignments or just for your own benefit. Look at the subforums of "Homework and Coursework Questions":

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152

Please post future questions like this, in one of those forums. :smile:

What is a vector in mechanics?

A vector in mechanics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude. Examples of vectors in mechanics include force, velocity, and acceleration.

How do you solve vector mechanics problems?

To solve vector mechanics problems, you first need to identify all the given vectors and their corresponding magnitudes and directions. Next, use vector addition and subtraction to combine the vectors and find the resultant vector. Finally, use trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in mechanics?

Scalar quantities in mechanics only have magnitude and no direction, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include mass and temperature, while examples of vector quantities include displacement and velocity.

How does the Pythagorean theorem apply to vector mechanics problems?

The Pythagorean theorem is often used in vector mechanics problems to find the magnitude of the resultant vector. It states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In vector mechanics, this means that the magnitude of the resultant vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual vector components.

What are some real-life examples of vector mechanics problems?

Some real-life examples of vector mechanics problems include calculating the velocity and direction of a moving object, determining the forces acting on a structure, and finding the acceleration of a car on a curved road. Vector mechanics is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and aerospace to design and analyze various systems and structures.