Question about a probability problem

• Thread starter reenmachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the problem was trying to calculate the odds of winning in a Best-of-7 sport series for the white team (of course each time a ball is picked she doesn't return in the bag). There are three ways to get the desired result.
reenmachine
Gold Member
Hi all , here's hoping someone could help me with this problem. :)

The problem is basically as follow:

You have 7 balls in your pocket , 3 are whites and 4 are blacks.If you take out 3 balls out of your pocket , what are the odds that you'll have 2 white balls and 1 black ball in your hand ?

Now I have no mathematic education at all so here's how I proceeded:

3/7 * (1/2 + 1/3) * (1/5 + 2/5 + 3/5)

3/7 * 5/6 * 5/5

3/7 * 5/6 = 5/14

5/14 = 35,7% = 36%

That was my final answer and I got it wrong , the answer happened to be 34%.

How could my method of calculating the odds produce an answer that was so close yet wrong?

Help would be greatly appreciated :D

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
There are three ways to get the desired result. wwb, wbw, bww.

P(wwb) = (3/7)(2/6)(4/5)
P(wbw) = (3/7)(4/6)(2/5)
P(bww) = (4/7)(3/6)(2/5)
Each term = 4/35. Sum = 12/35 = .342857..

of course! I feel a little bit stupid right now , thanks a lot!

reenmachine said:
How could my method of calculating the odds produce an answer that was so close yet wrong?

That doesn't really mean anything, especially in statistics. If you are on the right track, you are usually off by a multiplicative factor instead of a small absolute percentage.

For example, if you'd done the P(wwb) correctly but forgot to take into account the other two possibilities you would be off by exactly a factor of 3. That you get 36% instead of 34% (after rounding both numbers to integer percentages) is probably just a co-incidence (which is quite likely if you mess about with various combinations of 3, 5, 6 and 7 in a fraction).

Another question related to this problem , finding all the ways to get there (wwb,wbw,bww) is pretty easy in this case , but suppose the problem would require me to find all the possible ways for a larger sample like for example:

I have 7 white balls and 16 black balls in a bag (each ball indicate a potential victory for each team) and I want to calculate the odds of winning in a Best-of-7 sport series for the white team (of course each time a ball is picked she doesn't return in the bag) is there a quicker way to do it than trying to write all the ways down (like wwwwbbb , wwwbwbb etc...)?

Last edited:
Yes, there is an easy way of doing that, it's called the binomial coefficient:
[tex]\binom{16}{7} = \frac{16!}{7! 9!}[/tex]

Before we start writing a complete Wikipedia article here, don't you have any textbook or course material that explains this?

reenmachine said:
Another question related to this problem , finding all the ways to get there (wwb,wbw,bww) is pretty easy in this case , but suppose the problem would require me to find all the possible ways for a larger sample like for example:

I have 7 white balls and 16 black balls in a bag (each ball indicate a potential victory for each team) and I want to calculate the odds of winning in a Best-of-7 sport series for the white team (of course each time a ball is picked she doesn't return in the bag) is there a quicker way to do it than trying to write all the ways down (like wwwwbbb , wwwbwbb etc...)?
Be careful - you are confusing two different problems. Picking a ball and not returning is different from best of seven for sports. The latter is analogous to picking a ball and then returning it before picking the next ball.

Be careful - you are confusing two different problems. Picking a ball and not returning is different from best of seven for sports. The latter is analogous to picking a ball and then returning it before picking the next ball.
Y 07:58 PM

Suppose you have 2 fantasy teams and 23 judges who votes on the series , then the result comes out 16 and 7 and we want to decide who wins game 1 , game 2 and so on until one team wins 4 out of 7 games , wouldn't my technic to pick a ball and not return it to the bag be the way to go? If so , that's why I asked how to calculate the number of possible ways wbbwbwb wwwwbbb etc...

Or is what you are saying is that I should always keep all the balls in the bag before each game , making it a 16/7 odds for every game and ultimately the series outcome?

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
Yes, there is an easy way of doing that, it's called the binomial coefficient:
[tex]\binom{16}{7} = \frac{16!}{7! 9!}[/tex]

Before we start writing a complete Wikipedia article here, don't you have any textbook or course material that explains this?

I'm not going to school , but I'll try to find the explanation online and self-teach it to myself if possible.

thanks

reenmachine said:
Suppose you have 2 fantasy teams and 23 judges who votes on the series , then the result comes out 16 and 7 and we want to decide who wins game 1 , game 2 and so on until one team wins 4 out of 7 games , wouldn't my technic to pick a ball and not return it to the bag be the way to go? If so , that's why I asked how to calculate the number of possible ways wbbwbwb wwwwbbb etc...

Or is what you are saying is that I should always keep all the balls in the bag before each game , making it a 16/7 odds for every game and ultimately the series outcome?

I think you should describe this scenerio in more detail. What happens in game 1, what happens in game 2, etc.? What is the 16 - 7 division in reference to?

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual observations and can vary from the theoretical probability.

4. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring, given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated by dividing the probability of both events happening by the probability of the first event happening.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in various fields such as finance, insurance, and sports to make predictions and informed decisions. It is also used in scientific research to analyze data and draw conclusions about the likelihood of certain outcomes.