What is the bright, changing light in the southwestern sky in France?

• Thread starter willis hallis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, this is probably Venus, which is currently at a fairly high position in the sky. It is very bright and changes colors from blue/red white.
willis hallis
at about 45 degrees as view from south western france , this isn't a star as it doesn't twinkle
its not a planet as it seems to be geo stationary, but is very bright and changes colours from blue / red white,, I'm sure this is just reflective light from solar panels,,,, but what is it ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Are you sure it isn't the Dog star Sirius? It would be positioned at about 30 degrees to the bottom right from the constellation Orion. It oftens sparkles with blue white/ red white colors.

Looking at about 45 degrees to the SW at say 9pm I see the constellation Aquarius but its stars don't seem as bright.

If you have a smart phone and the Distant Suns app or the StarMap Pro app then it might help you identify the mystery object. These apps use the built in GPS and display the sky in the direction your phone is facing.

Does it move in the sky over time? Or is it always in the same spot? If it's the latter, then it's not an astronomical object.

It's Venus.
re: "geostationary"... well, planets move very slowly against the stars, so you will not see it move in one night, other than from Earth's rotation - it will rise and set.

Yep, it's Venus. Venus is very prominent in the SW sky, it comes to it's highest in the sky and brightest this time of year.

tfr000 said:
It's Venus.
re: "geostationary"... well, planets move very slowly against the stars, so you will not see it move in one night, other than from Earth's rotation - it will rise and set.

I thought geostationary meant, "stays over the same coordinates", indicating perhaps, some type of communication satellite. Am I confused? :confused:

I think I have to go with the magnitude brightness scale venus being 4.9 sirius 1.9 as it is a pretty dam bright thing
its got to be venus even thru I always thought venus was never more than a 33 degree arc from the sun , 8 pm puts the sun well below the horizon and mystery venus still at a 45 to a fairly flat horizon ?!?

Venus's maximum elongation is about 45 degrees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elongation_(astronomy [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
I thought geostationary meant, "stays over the same coordinates", indicating perhaps, some type of communication satellite. Am I confused?
No, you are correct. I think the original poster is seeing the object in roughly the same place at roughly the same time every night. I would bet that it sets later on.
Of course, a real, geostationary sat would stay in the same place and never move at any time of day.

sorry this is setting ! its venus , isn't it big !

willis hallis said:
sorry this is setting ! its venus , isn't it big !

Nope! It only looks big because of how bright it is. Jupiter has a much larger apparent size but appears smaller when viewed without magnification because it is dimmer than Venus at the moment.

What causes bright light in the south/west?

The bright light in the south/west is most likely the sun. This is because the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, so when it is in the southern part of the sky during the day, it can create a bright light in the south/west direction.

Is the bright light always in the same location?

No, the location of the bright light can vary depending on the time of year and your geographical location. For example, during the winter months the sun may appear more in the south/west, while in the summer it may be more in the north/west.

Why is the bright light more intense in the south/west?

The intensity of the bright light in the south/west is due to the angle of the sun's rays. When the sun is in the southern part of the sky, the angle of the sun's rays is more direct, making the light appear brighter.

Can other factors affect the brightness of the light in the south/west?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the brightness of the light in the south/west, such as weather conditions and atmospheric conditions. For example, on a clear day, the light may appear brighter than on a cloudy day.

Is the bright light always visible in the south/west?

No, the bright light may not always be visible in the south/west. This can be due to the time of day, weather conditions, or the position of the sun in relation to your geographical location. For example, if you are in a location where tall buildings or mountains obstruct the view, the bright light may not be visible in the south/west.